Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

Here are a few images from Smuggler's Notch road in Vermont (next to Stowe / Mt. Mansfield) I made this past Wednesday. It was cold (low 40's) and VERY windy but the leaves were still holding strong and there was peak color all around. I drove from Woodstock Vt and color was excellent all over. Same in Northern NH around Mt Washington. Drove over yesterday to North Adams, Ma mostly along rt 100 VT and great color was everywhere. It is still quite windy so past peak trees will be stripped quickly.

All shots handheld snaps w/ 5D3 and 17-40L.

Last shot (bonus) is from the top of the Mt. Washington Auto Road.

bonus

bonus

Oct 16, 2015 at 08:44 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

Great series. Love NE falls, especially Route 100 and Kancamagus.

Oct 16, 2015 at 09:06 PM
JohnKS
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

Nice vibrant colors in those first 3 images. I like the first one the best. My wife and I were in Stowe and Woodstock the 6th thru the 9th of October and the colors were still several days from peak. The sun didn't cooperate half of the time we were there which didn't help.

John

Oct 16, 2015 at 09:09 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

1 and 3 for me Ken

Morris

Oct 16, 2015 at 09:18 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

JohnKS wrote:
Nice vibrant colors in those first 3 images. I like the first one the best. My wife and I were in Stowe and Woodstock the 6th thru the 9th of October and the colors were still several days from peak. The sun didn't cooperate half of the time we were there which didn't help.

John

Oh. It started late this year and very spotty then it got good during this week. Weather has been very variable with overall windy and wet conditions half the time. There has been some dry periods in between and some cool nights which has helped. I actually do not mind the cloud cover and wet conditions since it seems to bring out the colors but the wind has been whippin' and that makes things much more challenging. I am on a sightseeing trip with family so photography has not been a priority at all but have managed to capture a few good images here and there.

Oct 16, 2015 at 09:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

Very nice color, 1,3 and 4 for me.

Oct 16, 2015 at 09:38 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

Very colorful. Thank you for sharing. Jim

Oct 16, 2015 at 09:39 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

Thx for the comments!

I would also like to ad that this is my first trip ever to experience Fall Colors in New England. I normally head out west. I would say the west is best for the spacious grand wide angle landscapes but the variety of colors and textures of the Northeast is astonishing. There is also a much wider range of interesting elements that can be included like lighthouses, old houses / bridges and other structures. Water features are also extensive. But it takes a LOT of time exploring to get the best out of it while in the west one can also do the same but there are many obvious iconic spots that are very easy to get to. Next year I might do both east and west!

Oct 16, 2015 at 09:39 PM
1bwana1
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

Great set Sneaky. Yes, the North East is the King of Fall color.

Oct 16, 2015 at 09:43 PM
aFeinberg
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

Wow incredible color!!

You have HUGE potential shots here. 1 crop just below the bottom part of the cloud. 2 crop 1:2 or so eliminating the sky. Both of these become amazingly strong (per scrolling to crop on my screen). 3 can be amazing. crop out the road and if you want to get a little crazy do a pano crop a bit tighter. Amazing color and depth.

I'll say it...Im jealous. Awesome.

aF

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:21 PM
leftcoastlefty
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

aFeinberg wrote:
Wow incredible color!!

You have HUGE potential shots here. 1 crop just below the bottom part of the cloud. 2 crop 1:2 or so eliminating the sky. Both of these become amazingly strong (per scrolling to crop on my screen). 3 can be amazing. crop out the road and if you want to get a little crazy do a pano crop a bit tighter. Amazing color and depth.
aF

I agree. These are very nice as-is, and would be superb by cropping out the distracting sky.

Oct 17, 2015 at 01:02 AM
tvvo09

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

Thanks for sharing! It's all so beautiful! Wish I could be there!

Oct 17, 2015 at 01:15 AM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The Notch (Vermont Fall Color)

John,
Nice set of images, #1 would be my favorite and a slight crop below the white fog IMO would add to this image and take away that distraction. I live here in the NE and fall is always my favorite time of year. I have spent time in VT in the fall and it's hard to beat. Look like you had a great trip , Regards, Dean

Oct 17, 2015 at 06:35 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.