New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Struggling to profile new Thunderbolt Display, OS Yosemite

Greg Matty
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Struggling to profile new Thunderbolt Display, OS Yosemite

Years ago I purchased a colormunki device and have successfully profiled half a dozen different displays with great success. This includes the built in display on the new MacBookPro 15" Retina Display I purchased in March of this year.

Well I got tired of not having two monitors like I have had for years with my old Intel Mac Pro circa 2007. So today I splurged on a new Thunderbolt display and have now profiled it twice and I don't like either result.

With the standard supplied profile, colors and contrast looked really good. I dragged one of my reference images from screen to screen and could not see much of a difference. Well I figured it could only get better so I activated the colormunki and let the profiling process begin.

The first step was to select Generic RGB as the profile so as to not double profile. I left brightness at a mid to upper level and let the colormunki do it's thing. When it was done the profile it created was WAY darker than the supplied Thunderbolt profile and the profile I created on the MacBook Pro's display. I did it a second time and this one while still way to dark, at least appeared to match the first one.

So maybe selecting "Generic RGB" profile before I begin is NOT the correct profile to use? Can anyone confirm which one I should start with?

I am not sure what else to try as I am using the same device with the same software I used just a few months ago with the MBP's built in display and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. But since I just dropped 1k on this display and need it for photo work, I'd like to be able to profile it.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Greg

Oct 16, 2015 at 06:03 PM
Greg Matty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Struggling to profile new Thunderbolt Display, OS Yosemite

Bump to see if anyone knows which profile to select when profiling my Thunderbolt display.

Greg

Jan 29, 2016 at 08:32 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Struggling to profile new Thunderbolt Display, OS Yosemite

You didn't say which model ColorMunki you have. ColorMunki Smile (which I used to use) does not allow setting luminance which I missed, but was pretty good at eyeballing. ColorMunki Photo has a number of settings. It shouldn't matter how you're connected to your Mac. I use an old VGA monitor connected through a thunderbolt adapter as my second and have no problem profiling it. ColorMunki assigns the profile, you shouldn't have to select a profile ahead of time.

With ColorMunki Photo on open, I click on "Profile my Display" and verify the settings: LCD, White point of D65 (recommended), and Display luminance of 80 cd/m2 so as not to be too far off my prints. If you don't print, you might go for a value of 100. Some like 120.

If your software doesn't allow a luminance setting, then crank up the brightness manually until you like it and try profiling again.

Jan 29, 2016 at 09:32 PM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Struggling to profile new Thunderbolt Display, OS Yosemite

Hi Greg
Typically the software/hardware combination with the colormunki device does not need an initial profile to be set. It should work directly to the display and bypass any profile during the calibration/profiling process. This does not solve yoru problem however so here are a few suggestions and requests for information..

Have you updated the colormunki sw so it is compatible with your present OS?
Which colormunki device are you using? Some are not speced for multiple monitors.
Which OS are you using.
When you drag an image from one monitor to the other, which application are you using to displaying the image e.g. PS, LR, Preview, Finder, a Browser, etc Note that there can be issues with some browsers in supporting two monitors.

Most calibration solutions allow measuring the monitor birghtness so it can be adjusted to the right range for editing often in the 100 to 120 cd/m^2. Does your solution now allow for that measurement?

Not sure abou the root cause of your issue yet thought this might be a start.

Jan 29, 2016 at 09:40 PM
Greg Matty
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Struggling to profile new Thunderbolt Display, OS Yosemite

Thanks for the replies.

1) I am not concerned with the connection type and I should have been clear on that.

2) I have the Colormunki Photo.

3) I am pleased to hear the device automatically "removes" a profile prior to creating one for my display.

4) I know with printing you have to disable any active profile so as not to double profile. I guess I forgot this isn't an issue with monitors.

5) I am certain I am using the most up to date software for the Colormunki and I'll verify that today. Mac OS 10.10.5.

Greg

Jan 30, 2016 at 09:56 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.