New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · DAM

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DAM

Any recommendations for Digital Asset Management software, other than Lightroom or Portfolio?

Reasonably priced and for Mac Mountain Lion.

Only need it for cataloging by tags with reasonable-sized thumbnails and less than 50,000 images.

Oct 16, 2015 at 03:55 PM
hdavid
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DAM

Photo Mechanic ?

Oct 16, 2015 at 06:59 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DAM

hdavid wrote:
Photo Mechanic ?

Thanks. Are you asking me a question, or recommending it

Oct 16, 2015 at 08:08 PM
mjc
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DAM

I'd recommend Photo Mechanic. Fast import, easy curation...

Oct 16, 2015 at 08:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DAM

conyon wrote:
I'd recommend Photo Mechanic. Fast import, easy curation...

Thanks. I guess there is no way to import all my images and data from Extensis Portfolio to Photo Mechanic?

I should say a simple way.

Oct 16, 2015 at 08:51 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DAM

You might want to specify whether you are thinking of using photo metadata tags or else OSX Finder tags. The disadvantage of the Finder tags is that they cannot necessarily be exported with the photos if you send them to someone else.

Photo Mechanic is often reported to be very fast but the speed largely comes from dealing with the thumbnails without including your applied edits that Lr would do.

Oct 17, 2015 at 03:12 AM
mjc
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DAM

+1 to Alan's comment. And PM can be a bit expensive too, perhaps. However, PM is pretty powerful. One thing that tipped me to it was not so much the speed but the fact that it could deal with Sigma merrill X3F files. LR (etc.) does not deal nicely with the X3F format (because of the unique sensor).....

Oct 17, 2015 at 09:37 AM
mjc
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DAM

ImageMaster -- Not sure about importing directly from Extensis Portfolio or how and where the data is stored. Once installed (I use mac OS) one can point Photo Mechanic at a folder where raw, xmp, jpeg files are stored and 'ingest' them ('ingest' is Photo Mechanic's terminology for import). I'm pretty sure that you can ingest (import) folders leaving them in the same location (of course, in my context I'm mainly I'm shifting images from a card to a hard disk & so am 'copying'). Photo Mechanic is very flexible, and that flexibility means there is a little bit of a learning curve because you can do all sorts of things during the ingest process (such as rename, specify how new folders can look etc etc).

I just looked at the camera bits web site and there is a "Try Photo Mechanic For Free" tab. Perhaps it is worth doing a trial? I'd be inclined to be very safe here and create a workspace different from where your images are stored, create a "mini library" from a subset of your existing photos and experiment with PM for a while.... Might be fun anyway, even if it doesn't work out as a long term solution for you :-)

Hope this helps...

Oct 17, 2015 at 09:48 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DAM

PM is very good and I use it for ingesting, tagging, rating and selecting images before moving them over to Lr. I don't know how well it fares as a DAM though as I'm not up to speed on their current developments. A while back PM had to peruse all your images each and every time to search all tags - they weren't stored in a database. At the same time they said they were working on a DAM application. This is a few years ago. Not storing everything in a database might mean PM is too slow for your purposes as a DAM, if you regularly search on keywords.

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:04 AM
HaJa
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DAM

Tony

Just out of curiosity, why not lightroom?

Jarmo

Oct 17, 2015 at 10:09 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DAM

Alan321 wrote:
You might want to specify whether you are thinking of using photo metadata tags or else OSX Finder tags. The disadvantage of the Finder tags is that they cannot necessarily be exported with the photos if you send them to someone else.

Photo Mechanic is often reported to be very fast but the speed largely comes from dealing with the thumbnails without including your applied edits that Lr would do.

Thanks, Alan. In Portfolio, I just imported the images and then typed in key words to identify and locate them.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:06 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DAM

conyon wrote:
+1 to Alan's comment. And PM can be a bit expensive too, perhaps. However, PM is pretty powerful. One thing that tipped me to it was not so much the speed but the fact that it could deal with Sigma merrill X3F files. LR (etc.) does not deal nicely with the X3F format (because of the unique sensor).....

Compared to Portfolio, I think PM would be quite reasonable. Portfolio went from a couple of hundred dollars to $2,200 and they no longer support my version.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:08 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DAM

conyon wrote:
ImageMaster -- Not sure about importing directly from Extensis Portfolio or how and where the data is stored. Once installed (I use mac OS) one can point Photo Mechanic at a folder where raw, xmp, jpeg files are stored and 'ingest' them ('ingest' is Photo Mechanic's terminology for import). I'm pretty sure that you can ingest (import) folders leaving them in the same location (of course, in my context I'm mainly I'm shifting images from a card to a hard disk & so am 'copying'). Photo Mechanic is very flexible, and that flexibility means there is a little bit of
...Show more

Thanks. All my 20,000 images are in one catalog.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:10 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DAM

HaJa wrote:
Tony

Just out of curiosity, why not lightroom?

Jarmo

How about because it is an Adobe product and Adobe screws their customers?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1390902/0

And on top of that, I would have to upgrade from Mountain Lion, which I don't want to do at present.

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:13 PM
HaJa
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DAM

Imagemaster wrote:
How about because it is an Adobe product and Adobe screws their customers?

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1390902/0

And on top of that, I would have to upgrade from Mountain Lion, which I don't want to do at present.

Tony

I know, the management is not up to their task. But the program is good. Stay away of the latest updates and you'll be good. I am still on 5.something and I use Breeze downloader for downloads and synchronize folders in LR. I don't like the company hassle and am always little worried about their next move. Lightroom team seems to be very good. It is my RAW developer too.

Jarmo

Oct 17, 2015 at 01:25 PM
Trey Neal
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DAM

I use Phase One Media Pro after having tried a number of products to maintain my catalog of images. I use Photo Mechanic for import and renaming of images from my cards but like the depth of Media Pro's cataloging and searching.

Oct 17, 2015 at 02:24 PM
merosen
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DAM

I use Photo Supreme
Runs on Mac or PC
There is also a SQL server version for multi user
I use it as a DAM for DXO and Iridient
http://www.idimager.com/WP/?page_id=20

Oct 17, 2015 at 02:30 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DAM

Anyone heard of NeoFinder?

http://www.cdfinder.de/en/info.html

Oct 17, 2015 at 03:00 PM
RAF09
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DAM

You might take a look at the new version of OnOne Photo when it comes out in late October, it is V10, it is to have an improved Browse module. Not sure if it will suit your purpose. Works on Mac and PC.
Photo Supreme looks interesting. Maybe more than needed.

Oct 17, 2015 at 04:43 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DAM

I've no intention of buying into the Creative Cloud, so I'll stick with Creative Suites 6 so long as I can. I'm running Mountain Lion as well and currently use Lightroom 5.7.1 and have paid for though not yet downloaded Lightroom 6. They work with Mountain Lion without a problem. Since I've been using LR for some time, I'm only paying the upgrade price for each new edition, which is not that expensive.

I'm not happy with where Adobe is going either, but that doesn't keep me from using their software when it works and everything on my hard drive from Adobe does work remarkably well. Lightroom handles both file management and processing very well. Of course, you can go elsewhere, but I don't think you'll do much better and you can still avoid the Cloud. My processing needs will never require that I make that investment. Good luck sorting it out.

Oct 25, 2015 at 01:11 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.