Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Are polycarbonate Honeygrids for magnum reflector durable?

pjny
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Are polycarbonate Honeygrids for magnum reflector durable?

Hi,

I purchased the HoneyGrids P14 25 Degree Black Grid for the Profoto 13.58" Magnum Beauty Dish Reflector and I think I got the polycarbonate version. I have never purchased a non-metal one and wondering if these are as durable.

It feels like the grid is a lot more brittle than other metal ones I have.

Have you used other Honeygrids of this type and are they durable?

Thanks.

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:32 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Are polycarbonate Honeygrids for magnum reflector durable?

The Honeygrid site recommends the aluminum grid for the Magnum (I think the 20 degree part is a typo). Not sure why this should be an issue absent using constant lighting. Their website states aluminum is recommended for heat over 150 degrees. Maybe if you use a the modeling lights on a constant high level this might pose a heat issue with polycarbonate??

Other than the shape of the modifier, I don't see much difference between the Magnum, Telezoom, or Narrowbeam with regard to "heat." If heat is an issue with these Profoto reflectors, it seems Honeygrid shouldn't be using polycarbonate for this line.

I've got an aluminum Honeygrid that I'm trying for my Magnum coming in this evening. Let us know your experience. I'd like to be able to save a little on these grids...

ken

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:09 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Are polycarbonate Honeygrids for magnum reflector durable?

Modelling light is the likeliest concern, but a sequence of high-energy discharges could also melt a plastic grid. Remember that the Magnum can be fit over a 9600J head.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:36 PM
pjny
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Are polycarbonate Honeygrids for magnum reflector durable?

Im more concerned with breakage. is the polycarbonate grid as sturdy as metal grids? it seemed pretty flimsy.

Oct 16, 2015 at 08:30 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Are polycarbonate Honeygrids for magnum reflector durable?

Mine came in yesterday----aluminum. Seems as "sturdy" as a typical metal grid frame, with the typical frail metal honeycombs. I wish there were more readily available cases to protect my grids during travel and storage.

ken

Oct 16, 2015 at 08:51 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.