New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Printing

DougDolde
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Printing

I'm just curious how many photographers here do their own printing and framing as opposed to paying a lab to do it for you.

For me it's much more rewarding to do my own.

Oct 14, 2015 at 07:28 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Printing

I print.

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:42 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Printing

Doug - I imagine living in Josh that you probably have to do everything yourself if you want it done right. Luckily, here in L.A. there are multiple great custom framing options and even ones with wholesale pricing for professionals, but all the printing is done in house unless it's bigger than the 9900 or 11880 printers can handle. It also seems like all the Lightjet printers in L.A. are moving to inkjet as they are having a hard time getting parts and service. A 6'x10' Lightjet was pretty impressive.

Oct 15, 2015 at 01:57 AM
Jglaser757
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Printing

I print and let someone else mount and frame. I learned a lot over at luminous landscape and take classes on it.

Oct 15, 2015 at 05:53 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Printing

I print everything 12x18" and smaller at home, and I love having the capabilities for convenience, quality and choice with regards to papers. For larger prints, I get them done at a lab, but this is only maybe 5% of my prints in a given year.

Oct 15, 2015 at 06:39 AM
DougDolde
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Printing

I bought an HP Z5200 recently and have been doing a lot of big canvas prints up to 36" x 48". They are pretty amazing at that size. Also acquired a Drytac HGP360 vacuum/heat press for mounting on Gatorboard. Once you've made the equipment investment producing prints this size is way less expensive than using a lab. Not to mention you have total control over the process.

Oct 15, 2015 at 07:26 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.