New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Photography Insurance and Additional Insured

dmcshea

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photography Insurance and Additional Insured

I'm a wedding photographer and I've been getting requests lately from wedding venues to be added as additional insured onto my insurance plans. This ends up costing me 20-25 bucks each time. Does anyone have a work around for this? I feel like this is BS forcing vendors to add the venue to their insurance. Can you decline and still work the wedding? Any way to fight this?

Oct 14, 2015 at 06:36 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photography Insurance and Additional Insured

Maybe you or they are phrasing it weirdly here, but this seems bizarre to me.

I'm assuming that you have your own liability/business insurance? Sometimes venues will ask for proof of this or a certificate of insurance specifically naming the venue, but your provider should be able to provide that for you free of charge.

Oct 14, 2015 at 06:57 PM
dmcshea

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photography Insurance and Additional Insured

I have insurance. I've given insurance declarations before and I've even added their names to the cert (which doesnt give them the extra insurance....just for clarity). But the past 2 weddings that I've done they have asked to be added as an additional insured. My carrier says its basically adding them to my plan for one day. The cost is around 20 bucks. I think this is ridiculous and just a ploy to keep their insurance down. The couple already books with the venue and with it a month away, its not like the photographer can back out or go against the policy cause then it would be blamed on the photographer for not abiding by their policies. The B&G could care less and just want it taken care of. Put the photographers in a bind and forces them to have to pay. This cant be something that they can get away with, can it?

Oct 14, 2015 at 07:06 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photography Insurance and Additional Insured

1. Ask a lawyer.
2. Chalk it up to cost of business, plan to adjust your rates accordingly for next season, and move on.

Better to have it and not need it than the other way around. :-)

Paul

Oct 14, 2015 at 07:21 PM
dmcshea

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photography Insurance and Additional Insured

That the other thing. I have to manually deal with this every time. Not something I can just buy for the year. And I always get last minute notice cause the B&G could care less so they dont let me know. I must be missing something. I could ask venues to carry me on their insurance if I wanted but they wouldnt do that. Why should I do that for them?

Oct 14, 2015 at 07:50 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photography Insurance and Additional Insured

Wow. That's so weird.

I would definitely ask the reasoning for it, but probably end up just doing it. I've spent more time and money on lesser client issues before. Depending on the frequency/how well you know the venue people/your relationship/how you're positioned, you could also consider making it an option for the venue. Charge them $100 for it (for your time + covering the charge). If it's that big of a deal for them (and again, your it seems prudent in regards to your relationship with the venue), then it shouldn't be a problem for them to pay for it.

Oct 15, 2015 at 01:29 AM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photography Insurance and Additional Insured

My policy covers me when I'm shooting at my place and on location. I would ask if you're picking up the slack for their coverage. Perhaps you should ask them for a Certificate of Insurance...

Oct 16, 2015 at 09:30 AM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photography Insurance and Additional Insured

dmcshea wrote:
I could ask venues to carry me on their insurance if I wanted but they wouldnt do that. Why should I do that for them?

That's not what you're doing. You're giving them a Certificate of Insurance ensuring that, when you light the venue on fire, they get paid. Their insurance covers their operations, your insurance covers your operations... which you're executing on their property.

It's normal. It's been normal. It's become increasingly normal as "professional photographers" have become less and less professional and venues have been left twisting in the wind. Build it into your rates.

Think of it like car insurance: When another guy plows into you, do you want that to ding his insurance or yours? Same here. You do the damage, your policy takes the hit.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:52 AM
mharding

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photography Insurance and Additional Insured

I have some experience with these policies. I'll try to keep it short.

First. These Liability Policies claim to provide coverage for several circumstances, but actually never pay out under any conditions. I have gotten a few seasoned insurance agents to admit that they have NEVER personally seen a policy paid out. Only hearsay of someone else or lying in an attempt to sell me a policy and get a commission.

Second. These same agents recommended me to theeventhelper.com. You can buy a one day or short term event policy for around $100 and have the venue named as the additionally insured. It only takes a few minutes and a credit card. I have done it in one case upon arrival at the venue and being asked for a copy of my insurance certificate.

Now, I have dropped my liability policy and amended my contract to state, if the venue requires it, I will purchase it on their behalf at cost. NO ONE has balked at my contract amendment. That saves me $500+ dollars a year and the venue thinks, erroneously, that they are covered.

Since I started it in 2012, only 3 out of 700+ events have forced the issue.

Oct 31, 2015 at 02:47 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photography Insurance and Additional Insured

Is it possible to have the venue add you to their insurance? You are on their property and of there is a problem with construction, staff, or acts of _____, you should be covered under their policy as well for something within their control.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:51 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.