New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 24 or 27" monitor

3iron
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24 or 27" monitor

Have started looking at buying a new monitor and all this resolution information vs; screen size has me really confused. I'm not much of a technician. I'm also seeing resolution as high as 4k and think that would be great but then wonder if I really need it.
Can anyone give me some simple pointers to help make a descision.
Thanks and best wishes.

Oct 14, 2015 at 04:59 PM
rdcny
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24 or 27" monitor

what do you plan (primarily) on doing with the monitor? how critically (color) correct do you need your photo images?

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:58 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24 or 27" monitor

This is a very subjective issue.

At home i run with a wide gamut 24 inch screen running at 1920x1200 pixels and a smaller 21 inch screen next to it. I want wide gamut for photo work, but even with calibration you will run into garish colours from software that doesn't deal with the management properly. I considered a 27 inch running at 2560x1440 pixels, but i had one at work and i find them a bit too big for my personal tastes. Also, a wide gamut 27 inch screen is quite expensive.

At work i now have a pair of 25 inch screens running at 2560x1440 pixels (Dell U2515's). This gives the same resolution as the 27 inch, but at a size that allows 2 screens side by side. I prefer this layout to a single large screen, and i get the same resolution. They are standard RGB gamut, which i prefer at work to avoid colour problems.

4K screens are awesome, but only if the operating system and software supports them properly. If it doesn't, you will end up with fonts and icons that you need a magnifying glass to read - i tested out my 55 inch 4K TV screen with my PC and had to sit 3 feet away to read the icon text. Completely unusable.

Oct 15, 2015 at 07:58 AM
3iron
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24 or 27" monitor

rdcny and 15bit: Thanks for your reply's. I'm presently considering two different monitors; Dell U2713 or the NEC EA244UND. The monitor will be used for everything including armature photo work. My computer may need some help, it is about 4 years old and I do not know if it will handle 4k. Still trying to find a way to determine that. The two monitors mentioned are within $50.00 of each other.
4k may not be the best way to go. I certainly would appreciate any suggestion you might have. I'm certainly not much of a computer technician.

Oct 15, 2015 at 09:03 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24 or 27" monitor

I run dual 24" 1920x1200 IPS monitors, which works well for me. I'd much rather have dual monitors than one large one, and I don't have room at the moment for dual 27" monitors. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade both to 4K, but at the moment the 4K displays all seem to have compromises or are prohibitively expensive if they don't have those compromises.

Oct 15, 2015 at 09:08 AM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24 or 27" monitor

Twin Apple Thunderbolt 27" monitors for me. Love them!

Oct 16, 2015 at 09:24 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24 or 27" monitor

Dual 27" all the way.

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:52 AM
dmcphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24 or 27" monitor

One thing to keep in mind is that on a 4K monitor 1 to 1 pixel mapping (100% in Photoshop) produces an image too small to work with on the pixel level. You can go to 200% but there are editing advantages with a true 1 to 1 mapping where 1 pixel in the image equals one pixel on the monitor. IMO a large 100% image and the larger pixels of lower resolution monitors is optimal for editing and higher resolution is optimal for viewing the end result. If the end result is always on paper 4K doesn't matter much.

Oct 22, 2015 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.