Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Dash & Splash ...

A youngin' playin' in the crick.

Oct 14, 2015 at 02:30 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Dash & Splash ...

Nice one, I like the pose and processing. You must have been pretty close to get by with 135mm.

Oct 14, 2015 at 03:57 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Dash & Splash ...

Nice shot Kent! Great detail and I like the action of the water splash. I love me some furry critters!

My only thought is maybe tighten it up a bit to lose the FG grass and give her some room to walk into?

I did some very tiny adjustments to the gamma and 1 click on the contrast and a few on the brightness to compensate for the gamma.

I'm not seeing any Cyan so you're good.
But then again, I wouldn't know any better.

Dave

Oct 14, 2015 at 04:03 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Dash & Splash ...

Thanks guys, nice framing on the crop.

Well, we were close enough that momma came up to the bank with a defensive / intervening posture. There was a bridge across the creek about 20 feet away, and a couple was/were "trapped" on the bridge. Point being that they encroached on us because jr. unexpectedly ran into the creek to play ... not the other way around. We were in the parking lot across the street when jr. suddenly darted into the water and started stamping & splashing.

I backed up and went to change lenses to get the wider view of the scene @ momma elk protecting jr. in the creek from humans, and hubby human protecting his wife (hiding behind him) on the bridge from momma elk, but everything changed before I could get set for the shot.

Oct 14, 2015 at 04:28 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Dash & Splash ...

Kent; I like it. Good color, comp. and detail. Jim

Oct 14, 2015 at 05:02 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Dash & Splash ...

Hey Jim thanks ... long time, hope all is well.

Oct 14, 2015 at 05:12 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Dash & Splash ...

Wish I was there!
You are really making good use of that lens.
I think a more traditional crop would have put more in the front (right image) and less on the left. But it is a "rule", so you know what to do with that. While I echo Dave's sentiment on the positioning, I think the crop he illustrated is a bit too tight, losing the surround. I prefer the original, or maybe something in between.

Scott

Oct 14, 2015 at 06:23 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Dash & Splash ...

Thanks Scott.

Wish I could have stayed longer (traveling with others) too. This was around mid-afternoon, so the herd was still up in the woods, but I did get a glimpse of a bull for a few moments from a distance.

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:45 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Dash & Splash ...

+1 @ Scott's thoughts on the crop. My edit does look a little too tight now that I look at it again.

Did you use a BB or flash on these Kent? I see a nice catch light in the eye but it appears to have been nice diffused light (overcast) you were shooting in.

Dave

Oct 15, 2015 at 09:14 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Dash & Splash ...

Straight ambient ... no BB or flash. That's just a byproduct of usm / pp with some experimental pp.

Thoughts on it

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:27 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Dash & Splash ...

You always get a catch light if the eye is aligned close enough to the camera. The eye is very reflective and spherical so even very low light will produce it.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:37 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.