New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

tom lozinski
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

If anybody needs Nikon gear repaired I have to highly recommend Berrie Smith. I trusted my 58mm Noct to him for CLA after Nikon quoted me over $600. Berrie Charged me about $90 and did a wonderful job. He has been a Nikon tech for 30 plus years. I ended up talking to him over the phone for half an hour and he was filled with an incredible amount of information and was a pleasure to talk to. He doesn't have a website but he is quick to respond to email.

His email is [email protected]

Oct 14, 2015 at 02:18 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

Can you tell more about him, like is he retired and working at home or what? Where does he do business? Seems like quite an interesting fellow. If he's been doing this for over 30 years, he's got some skills, I'd think.

thanks
Kerry

Oct 14, 2015 at 02:51 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

I thought that Nikon no longer sold parts to non Nikon authorized repair companies. Or is that only the newest cameras? Since this was an older lense, I guess it was not a problem.
Thanks for the email address, I have a number of old lenses. Fortunately even my old AIS lenses work perfectly. I doubt that the newer lenses will last that long.

Oct 15, 2015 at 05:57 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

tom - tfs the info. just curious on the reason(s) for the cla and the extent of the lens disassembly?

also, how did you discover berrie smith? thanx.

tom

Oct 15, 2015 at 06:56 AM
Dpedraza
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

I'm actually Facebook friends with Berrie. He's a good guy

Oct 15, 2015 at 07:30 AM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

Cool, thanks.

I'd much rather send my gear out for repair to a small business that actually cares about providing good service.

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:33 AM
cohenfive
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

I was also under the impression that nikon won't sell someone like this parts...

Oct 17, 2015 at 06:46 PM
lexdiamonnyc
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

parts? for a CLA (Clean, Lube, Adjust)?

Oct 17, 2015 at 08:34 PM
lorac
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

Good to know, thanks for sharing. But I do wonder about his ability to get parts.

Oct 17, 2015 at 09:03 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

Nikon wants $600 to service your Noct? Are they nuts?? I could service that thing if you buy me a beer! Noct is one of the EASIEST Nikkor to service. It's not as complicated as the Pre-AI's.

Noct disassembly

cleaning the helicoids

Oct 17, 2015 at 09:19 PM
douter
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

He may be what Harry Fleenor is to Rolleiflex but to Nikon.
Douglas

Oct 18, 2015 at 07:59 AM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

Thanks! I emailed him to get a quote.

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:50 AM
rick_reno
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

I sent him an email too.

Oct 19, 2015 at 08:49 AM
rick_reno
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

Berrie is FAST. Rang me up and had some suggestions which I can try to remedy my problem - I'll admit, they weren't thing I thought of trying. I'll give them a go later today.
Really nice fellow to talk to. I'd recommend him for repairs.

Oct 19, 2015 at 09:12 AM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

Berrie is indeed fast and he knows his gear. I just got off the phone with him and what a delight it was to speak to a person who understands cameras, lenses, and Nikon! He said he often gets what others don't want to touch--that speaks much about his character and his knowledge of camera and lens repair. He's definitely a good guy and from here on in he'll be my go-to guy for any repair work I need.

Feb 27, 2016 at 08:24 AM
rick_reno
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

An update. I tried the at home suggestions Berrie gave me back in Oct 2015 - and they worked! I'd rung up APS the cost was going to be around $600 for my 24-70.

Feb 27, 2016 at 09:48 AM
GoranPhoto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

Does he clean sensors?

Feb 27, 2016 at 11:26 AM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

I'm sure he would but I'm also not sure why anyone sends cameras in for sensor cleaning - postage and possible bad postal handling and being without your body for days and days when you could just do it yourself in 15 minutes or less?

Just had the pleasure of dealing with Berrie - sent in my 105mm for CLA, very prompt service, very reasonable, and very enjoyable to speak with on the phone - two thumbs up from me

Mar 06, 2016 at 07:07 PM
kgibsonlane

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

I'm local to Berrie and he's cleaned my sensor as well as repaired a 20mm 2.8d with stuck aperture blades a couple years ago. The 20mm was an Ebay purchase and the seller attempted to say the blades stuck after purchase and Berrie actually communicated with him about his assessment (for me) so that I could be reimbursed for the repair. The lens functioned perfectly after he worked on it. He's fantastic. I assume he still cleans sensors at Showcase store in Atlanta too.

Mar 30, 2016 at 02:33 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Nikon repair person Berrie Smith

GoranPhoto wrote:
Does he clean sensors?

Sending your camera in the mail is far, far, more risky than taking 30 seconds to clean it yourself. It's a good skill to have, I suggest you give it a try if you haven't. If you have stubborn stuff on your sensor, use Smear Away by visible dust - there are many compounds that normal cleaning fluid (Eclipse/Methanol) can't remove, such as saliva.

Mar 30, 2016 at 02:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.