1       2       3              55      
       57       end

Archive 2015 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Jochenb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.56 #1 · p.56 #1 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

dandrewk wrote:
That would suck if shooting walls was your photographic specialty.

Ok, that was sarcastic. But this is the first time I've read any post or reference to a de-centered RX1rII.

Well congrats then! You just witnessed the first report about it.

Mine's clearly decentered, just like my first copy of the original RX1 a few years ago (second one was fine). It's not because Sony mates the lens to sensor that they do their job right all the time. I hope my streak of bad luck ends soon.

Mar 20, 2016 at 03:26 PM
mortyb
• • •
p.56 #2 · p.56 #2 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Not reassuring. Not exactly a cheap camera. Seems like the best way dealing with this, is to buy 3, keep the better and return the others. Shouldn't be like that.

Mar 20, 2016 at 03:53 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.56 #3 · p.56 #3 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

mortyb wrote:
Not reassuring. Not exactly a cheap camera. Seems like the best way dealing with this, is to buy 3, keep the better and return the others. Shouldn't be like that.

Let's not jump to conclusions based on a sampling of one - this is how the internet blows things out of proportion.

Now, I certainly sympathize with Jochenb, having to exchange equipment is a PITA. But, I've had two RX1Riis and both were extremely well centered, I think all of Fred's copies were well centered and I haven't heard of any bad copies other than Jochenb's. It seems like the quality control is very good on the RX1Rii, but there will always be a few bad copies.

Mar 20, 2016 at 06:13 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.56 #4 · p.56 #4 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Indeed Jeff, no need to blow it up since there aren't many reports about it. I'm just having terribly bad luck with my gear purchases. The 50mm Loxia was my only recently bought item that was fine.

Mar 20, 2016 at 06:53 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.56 #5 · p.56 #5 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Jochenb wrote:
Indeed Jeff, no need to blow it up since there aren't many reports about it. I'm just having terribly bad luck with my gear purchases. The 50mm Loxia was my only recently bought item that was fine.

I hope your replacement is stellar and I'm looking forward to seeing the photos that you take with it.

Mar 20, 2016 at 06:57 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.56 #6 · p.56 #6 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Thanks Jeff, the store ordered a replacement. I have my fingers crossed that that one will be better.

Just to show how my current copy looks:

I think everyone can see it? Sure, I'm critical but I expect better alignment from such an expensive camera, especially because they claim that the lens is precisely matched to the sensor.

Mar 21, 2016 at 02:18 PM
MAubrey
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.56 #7 · p.56 #7 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Jochenb wrote:
I think everyone can see it? Sure, I'm critical but I expect better alignment from such an expensive camera, especially because they claim that the lens is precisely matched to the sensor.

Yep. I can see it. Odd choice of subject for testing it though...

Still, there is no price point where lens alignment issues don't happen to some degree--especially as pixel counts get higher and higher. 42MP puts more pressure on lens alignment and centering than 24MP.

Mar 21, 2016 at 04:22 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.56 #8 · p.56 #8 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

MAubrey wrote:
Yep. I can see it. Odd choice of subject for testing it though...

Still, there is no price point where lens alignment issues don't happen to some degree--especially as pixel counts get higher and higher. 42MP puts more pressure on lens alignment and centering than 24MP.

That's just one of my many tests that confirmed the same issue.
I agree about the price point, but they do indicate that this fixed lens/sensor combination assures a much higher precision. 42MP is brutally revealing though.
I'm certainly not blowing this up, I just want to show that bad copies of the RX1RII exist too.

Mar 21, 2016 at 05:29 PM
JakAHearts
• • •
p.56 #9 · p.56 #9 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Where does one buy one of these fancy hoods?

Edit: holy cannoli! Over 150 bucks for one?!? Where are the 3d printer owners?
sootyvrs wrote:
Just tried my FE35/2.8 hood on my RX1R and it fits perfect! It's probably the smallest hood that fits well with the compact dimensions of the RX1 series.

It's also perfect for quick change over with the SEL075UWC 0.75x wide converter as it connects via the bayonet fitting!

Only problem is finding one at a resonable price!

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j272/sootyvrs/Misc/DSC01821_zpsyiho1nwu.jpg

Mar 21, 2016 at 09:00 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.56 #10 · p.56 #10 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Jochenb wrote:
That's just one of my many tests that confirmed the same issue.
I agree about the price point, but they do indicate that this fixed lens/sensor combination assures a much higher precision. 42MP is brutally revealing though.
I'm certainly not blowing this up, I just want to show that bad copies of the RX1RII exist too.

That's bad luck Jochenb. I have tested one RX1R and 3 RX1RII cameras and they were perfectly centered with rigorous testing. I would give it another try.
Best,
Fred

Mar 23, 2016 at 12:05 PM
Jochenb
• • • •
p.56 #11 · p.56 #11 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Fred Miranda wrote:
That's bad luck Jochenb. I have tested one RX1R and 3 RX1RII cameras and they were perfectly centered with rigorous testing. I would give it another try.
Best,
Fred

I got a new replacement copy. Haven't been able to test it carefully yet, but I can already see that it's much better than the first one. Quick tests show no asymmetries. I now also notice that the first copy didn't just have a soft corner, but also stronger weird field curvature. Very little DOF went to the foreground when stopping down. This would've been very problematic in real world shooting.

Again, the RX1RII is such an improvement over the original RX1.

Mar 23, 2016 at 03:38 PM
sidd
• • •
p.56 #12 · p.56 #12 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

My first copy was horribly decentered - right side was way softer. I was in double mind whether to keep the camera (before testing) and had put up a FS post in the forums since it was out of stock everywhere.

Then did some testing, and saw it was pretty bad. Withdrew the FS post and sent it back to B&h immediately. Got another one lately, and that one is much better.

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:27 PM
The Hexagonal

p.56 #13 · p.56 #13 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Thought I would contribute again.

RX1R II arrived and so did LIM's case.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1420135/0#lastmessage

I can highly recommend it over Gariz (having owned two Gariz cases in the past)

Shame I couldn't find Sony's own case in stock or at a reasonable price but I am not looking for a case anymore.

EDIT:

If anyone wants any opinions from a professional 2.5year RX1 classic user now that I have a mark II, just let me know.

Mar 24, 2016 at 08:41 PM
FMTopFan
• •
p.56 #14 · p.56 #14 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Jochenb wrote:

This worries me, any suggestions for a good subject/way to test asymmetry? It's hard to find a wall with enough details and then to ensure my camera is parallel to it. i live in the city with high rises at different distances blocking infinity distance too so it's hard to find a "clean" view.

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:34 PM
FMTopFan
• •
p.56 #15 · p.56 #15 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

patrik_f wrote:
I use the FE35/2.8 hood too. Strangely it doesn't seem to be widespread among Rx1 users. To avoid vignetting you have to grind the opening a bit to match the larger front lens of the RX1 vs FE35.

Anyone knows of a good "grinding" tool that leaves smooth edges? Also should I grind both sides, top and bottom or all?

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:37 PM
FMTopFan
• •
p.56 #16 · p.56 #16 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Fred Miranda wrote:
I discover something useful though.

You can set the camera to MF (using the front dial) and still use the (AEL) back button to engage AF.
Here is how:
Set the camera to MF
Menu tab2: Custom Key (Shoot.) >> Set AEL Button to "AF/MF Control Hold".

Now you will be able to MF (using focus peaking) and when needed, use the AEL button to AF.

The only issue is that the AEL is perfect for EyeAF, so I won't be using this as much as I would like.
Fred

This was my preferred way of focusing with the old RX1R too! But on the II I haven't found a way to keep this setting AND also be able to use EyeAF using AEL, becauae the memory modes don't retain button assignment settings.

Any ideas?

Oct 06, 2016 at 11:59 PM
temoore48

p.56 #17 · p.56 #17 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Fred, I have sort of found a way to do this. I have Custom 1 set to AM/MF Control Hold, Right Button set to AM/FM Ctrl Toggle, and AEL to eye focus.
When dial set to M, Custom 1 Button does my "back focus". When I want to use auto focus, Right Button toggles it back and forth. While toggled to Auto, the AEL does eye focus. Touching Right Button puts it back in manual.
Not exactly what you were looking for, but it works well. That way I can keep the front dial to M and still toggle Manual or Auto, and use the Eye Focus without changing the front dial.

Edited on Oct 10, 2016 at 10:58 AM · View previous versions

Oct 07, 2016 at 03:55 PM
FMTopFan
• •
p.56 #18 · p.56 #18 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

temoore48 wrote:
Fred, I have sort of found a way to do this. I have Custom 1 set to AM/MF Control Hold, Right Button set to AM/FM Ctrl Toggle, and AEL to eye focus.
When dial set to M, Right Button does my "back focus". When I want to use auto focus, Right Button toggles it back and forth. While toggled to Auto, the AEL does eye focus. Touching Right Button puts it back in manual.
Not exactly what you were looking for, but it works well. That way I can keep the front dial to M and still toggle Manual or Auto, and
...Show more

Thanks temoore. Except that my RX1RII is stuck in AFS mode no matter which position I turn the autofocus switch dial to, so I can't test your method yet.

I've done a settings reset and initialization but the same problem persists. Anyone's else has seen this problem with your RX1RII?

I've owned the RX1R for two years previously but I never encountered this issue.

Oct 10, 2016 at 10:42 AM
Audii-Dudii
• • •
p.56 #19 · p.56 #19 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

JakAHearts wrote:
Where does one buy one of these fancy hoods?

Edit: holy cannoli! Over 150 bucks for one?!? Where are the 3d printer owners?

I'm late to the party here -- sorry! -- but for the sake of completeness, I'll add my two-cents on this issue.

As I'm sure has been reported before, there are similar, Chinese-made hoods that sell for much, much less ... such as this one from JJC:

http://www.canyonero.com/files/1476121990.jpg

Another option is the Sony ALC-SH114 hood for its 24/f1.8 NEX lens (note that it can be used in conjunction with the JJC hood for even better coverage):

http://www.canyonero.com/files/1476122015.jpg

And the complete overkill option is the compendium hood for Bronica's ETR series of 645-format cameras:

http://www.canyonero.com/files/1476122040.jpg

Depending upon what I'm photographing and when (I do a lot of long-exposure, nighttime photography), I routinely use all three hoods, with the Bronica compendium hood probably seeing the most use. Used ones can be purchased quite inexpensively -- IIRC, I paid $25 for this one -- and are reasonably readily available. (Note: This hood also requires the use of a 49mm to 62mm filter thread adapter ring to mount the Bronica's mounting ring to the RX1's filter threads.)

Oct 10, 2016 at 01:00 PM
Jeff Kott
• • •
p.56 #20 · p.56 #20 · Announced: RX1R II with 42MP sensor and EVF

Audii,
That first photo is with the JJC LN-RC49, which is a replacement hood for the Pentax DA 40/2.8, right?

Does that work well on your RX1Rii? No vignetting?

Oct 10, 2016 at 02:58 PM
       57       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

57       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.