New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Impromptu Portrait

Ho1972
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Impromptu Portrait

Our nieces visited us over the weekend. One night they had a makeup/dressup session and I set up my homemade beauty dish for some shots. Here's one that turned out pretty well:

http://www.howardowen.net/img/s5/v125/p1875144825-3.jpg

As always, comments and suggestions are welcome.

Edited on Nov 09, 2015 at 07:59 AM · View previous versions

Oct 14, 2015 at 09:10 AM
story_teller
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Impromptu Portrait

I like this portrait. It's well done and I'm sure she was very pleased with it. This isn't a critique, but more of a "season to taste" comment. The only thing I would have tweaked is to have her look a tad more toward the camera in order to reduce the amount of white in the eyes. That would have also provided a catch light in the far eye. Just a thought.

Larry

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:39 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Impromptu Portrait

No right or wrong but especially for an more profile angled shot, fur and a dark background I'd have gone for short light rather than broad lighting her which looks a bit flat at this angle.

Nice picture though.

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:39 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Impromptu Portrait

Thanks for the comments. I'm not much of a portrait photographer so any feedback is a plus. I did manage to achieve one goal with this shot and that was to make her wonderfully long eyelashes visible against the black background.

*(added a catch light per Larry).

Oct 14, 2015 at 01:41 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Impromptu Portrait

I like the pose and expression, but agree with Mark_L that the lighting is flat by fashion standards. Sadly, plebeians are mortally afraid of hard shadows or lighting ratios above 1:1, so being able to create images of this kind is a handy skill.

A touch of rim or hair light would up your game.

Oct 15, 2015 at 04:35 AM
Ho1972
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Impromptu Portrait

rico wrote:
I like the pose and expression, but agree with Mark_L that the lighting is flat by fashion standards. Sadly, plebeians are mortally afraid of hard shadows or lighting ratios above 1:1, so being able to create images of this kind is a handy skill.

A touch of rim or hair light would up your game.

Thanks for the reply. In retrospect, we should have moved to a larger space (we were in an area with a usable footprint ~ 4' wide and maybe 10-12' deep), and I should have used more than one light. But the girls had fun and that was my first priority.

Oct 15, 2015 at 08:40 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.