Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2015 · New Late 2015 4K and 5K iMacs..

arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · New Late 2015 4K and 5K iMacs..

Konablue wrote:
I have nearly the same config on my iMac 5k. Photos look gorgeous on the 27" 5k display. I went with 8gb and added two more 8gb cards for a total of 24gb. I can have several programs open at once and I don't notice any bogging down on the apps. I rarely use the trackpad anymore and have gone back to a good logitech mouse.

Mine has finally shipped...for some reason most Canadians with custom builds all got their orders delayed by about a week. I should have it by Friday. I just got 16GB of Ram in the mail so ready to go to 24GB as soon as it arrives!!

Now I'm just trying to sort out some Thunderbolt RAID storage options.....

Nov 02, 2015 at 08:26 PM
Konablue
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · New Late 2015 4K and 5K iMacs..

Now that you have a new machine on the way and considering a robust external drive system, it's a good time to consider and implement an upgraded workflow and data storage plan. Here's what I'm currently running and I strive to improve on my workflow as well as my data management and storage strategies before beginning a new year.

I have an internal SSD 500gb HD and I only use that for the OS and Software Apps and a few small files such as docs, downloads and a handful of JPGs. The main bulk of data is off the iMac with the main storage container for RAWs and Final Edits being a LaCie 2big connected with Thunderbolt™ 2. This LaCie is set for RAID 0 configured for speed and volume to support my workflow. This RAID is not intended as a backup, it's intended to be fast with plenty of room.
I have another external USB3 HD I use for backup and it's ok for that to be slow as long as it's reliable and redundant.

As part of my workflow on this iMac 5K I first copy over the Raw files from the camera card directly to a new folder labeled year-month-day/event or name/and location (if relevant). An example will look like 20151102/Mick Jagger/Tampa Studio. This method gives me a consistent naming convention which pays off later to archive, find, and organize files.

Once I have the folder created I then copy the RAW files from the camera card to the appropriate folder. Then I use LR Import tool and navigate to the new folder and select "ADD" which then builds and includes this new collection into your existing LR Catalog. I always include several relevant keywords before initiating the import. If you can't find the folder then keyboarding is a valuable tool for finding certain photos or groups/types of photos at a future date.

You'll find it's much easier to install the memory and will safely protect your display if you lay it face down on a towel covered desk or carpeted floor first. How to replace RAM in iMac 5K 2015

Nov 02, 2015 at 10:36 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · New Late 2015 4K and 5K iMacs..

Konablue wrote:
Now that you have a new machine on the way and considering a robust external drive system, it's a good time to consider and implement an upgraded workflow and data storage plan. Here's what I'm currently running and I strive to improve on my workflow as well as my data management and storage strategies before beginning a new year.

I have an internal SSD 500gb HD and I only use that for the OS and Software Apps and a few small files such as docs, downloads and a handful of JPGs. The main bulk of data is off the iMac with
...Show more

Thanks for the storage suggestions and for the Ram replacement tip.

Right now I use external USB3 drives for all my RAW files and use the internal SSD for my LR catalogue and Previews. The problem with my way now is I've been using portable size external drives that began at 1TB and now at 2TB with 2 clones of each drive (one taken off-site i.e. work). This works fine for me except now my library is growing by about 1TB per year and then I need I full new set of 3 drives every one to two years...starting to become a mess of little drives.

The small drives have been working as I've been using a laptop to edit since 2012 as my 2009 iMac with spinning HD is too slow after using SSDs in all my other computers. Now with the new iMac on the way, I will migrate back to using it more for editing.

I'm currently thinking about the OWC ThunderBay 4 RAID with 4x4GB drive in RAID 10 for 8GB of storage with redundancy and then another 2 bay Thunderbolt enclosure for a clone of that data with 2x4GB in RAID 0 or just JBOD. I will then recycle all my portable USB 3 drives for off-site backups. I would be filling about 4TBs just from my current data of RAW files and movies and documents. Then that would leave me 4TB of expansion. I figure if I fill the 8TB I could switch to RAID 5 and have 12TB on the Thunderbay in a few years and then switch the 2 bay to two 6TB drives to clone that. That is my thinking right now, I won't really be using much of the Thunderbolt speed but being able to daisy chain the clone onto the main ThunderBay and keep everything neat and tidy will be better than the continuous collection of USB3 drives I have now.

Nov 03, 2015 at 06:19 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · New Late 2015 4K and 5K iMacs..

Just an FYI, I have the new Skylake iMac maxed out, and it's not limited to 1867mhz memory like Apple includes. I've spent the last two weeks in post with Kingston hyper x 2133mhz memory with no stability issues. Some will say the difference in speed is insignificant, but memory is so cheap, I just bought the fastest stuff I could find.

Nov 03, 2015 at 11:47 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · New Late 2015 4K and 5K iMacs..

ohsnaphappy wrote:
Just an FYI, I have the new Skylake iMac maxed out, and it's not limited to 1867mhz memory like Apple includes. I've spent the last two weeks in post with Kingston hyper x 2133mhz memory with no stability issues. Some will say the difference in speed is insignificant, but memory is so cheap, I just bought the fastest stuff I could find.

interesting .I pressume you need to remove the existing memory to use the faster stuff .
I saw (posted earlier) also that its not restricted to 32gb either . you can load it up with 16gb sticks to a total of 64gb (although thats not a cheap prospect )

Nov 03, 2015 at 01:03 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · New Late 2015 4K and 5K iMacs..

If I buy a mac mini with a Fusion drive, how large is the SSD component of that drive?
- The Fusion Drive combines 128GB of flash storage with a traditional hard drive. And it’s up to 4x faster than a 5400-rpm hard drive.” Amber, sales chat rep 10/30/15

in the iMAC, it was a 128GB PCIe SSD and a 7200 rpm HDD

the HDD in the mini is 5400 rpm

but new iMac has only 24GB of flash storage for the 1 TB Fusion drive.

- the above is form me trying to determine if a cheaper mini will perform as well on LR as an iMac - still don't know, but posted as grist for the collective mill... Apple's sale people aren't well trained

Nov 03, 2015 at 03:43 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · New Late 2015 4K and 5K iMacs..

ohsnaphappy wrote:

Yes, I follow a bunch of threads on MacRumours Forums and many are using the 2133mhz although those that have compared to 1867 are finding like a 3-5% improvement. Although there isn't much of a price premium for the 2133 so if you are swapping out all the Apple Ram then it is good to go. Personally I ordered 16GB of 1867 ram to add to the included 8GB to start out at 24GB. I could order another 16GB set in the future if I feel I need 32GB. I don't think I will need 64GB but it is nice that it is available for those who do. OWC has the 64GB kit of 1867 for $998.

Nov 05, 2015 at 11:11 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · New Late 2015 4K and 5K iMacs..

arbitrage wrote:
Yes, I follow a bunch of threads on MacRumours Forums and many are using the 2133mhz although those that have compared to 1867 are finding like a 3-5% improvement. Although there isn't much of a price premium for the 2133 so if you are swapping out all the Apple Ram then it is good to go. Personally I ordered 16GB of 1867 ram to add to the included 8GB to start out at 24GB. I could order another 16GB set in the future if I feel I need 32GB. I don't think I will need 64GB but it is nice
...Show more

I'm holding to my 3-year minimum upgrade cycle so I have a year or two to go having bought a maxed out 27" iMac last year. As for RAM, you can't be too rich, too beautiful, or have too much RAM though I have to admit dropping $1K for 64GB is a bit beyond how beautiful I can afford to be

I detailed my backup strategy in another post. You might want to see how one person (and several others) have approached the question. You definitely need backup and backup of the backup.

Robert

Nov 06, 2015 at 11:27 AM
musclepics
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · New Late 2015 4K and 5K iMacs..

^ I've wanted the same thing, USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 with Target Display Mode, but I've waited for a "good" iMac with everything I need for over 2 years now. They should have just got all that put into these machines with Skylake, but planned obsolescence is a forte of Apple's.

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:23 PM
musclepics
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · New Late 2015 4K and 5K iMacs..

What is a Core i3, Core i5, or Core i7 as Fast As Possible:

https://youtu.be/GLSPub4ydiM

Nov 15, 2015 at 11:25 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.