New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2015 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

mendo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

http://petapixel.com/2015/10/13/bh-slammed-with-accusations-of-mistreatment-and-discrimination/
Just saw this article about BH mistreating their workers who now want to Unionize

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:04 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

Yeah, if you treat them badly then they want unions. Assuming the working conditions are as bad as the workers say they are, I guess it would have been better for all concerned if they had treated them better from the beginning.

Oct 14, 2015 at 01:35 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

If you don't like your job, QUIT.

Oct 14, 2015 at 07:16 AM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

DGC1 wrote:

Or try to make it better for everyone involved, not just the owners who try to milk it for all they can. Who knows then workers may actually put in the effort to add value to the company and make more money for everyone involved but I guess some people just want to make a fast buck and don't give a toss about other people.

Oct 14, 2015 at 07:22 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

Hmm.. Al Jazeera reporting bad things about a jewish owned company. Nothing suspicious there.

Oct 14, 2015 at 07:37 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

DGC1 wrote:

So much for worker's right progress over the past century. Surely, a company needs to make sure workers are working in a safe environment.

I don't know anything about B&H warehouse conditions, but the past actions against them for discrimination have made it into a more diverse company and I think that's a good thing. It used to be just orthodox Jewish men behind those counters. Now, it's a mix, although women are still pretty rare in actual sales jobs.

Oct 14, 2015 at 07:46 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

Steve Perry wrote:
Hmm.. Al Jazeera reporting bad things about a jewish owned company. Nothing suspicious there.

Nope, nope, move along . . .don't make the connections . . .SQUIRREL!!!

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:05 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

Steve Perry wrote:

A voice of reason.

Kent in SD

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:08 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

Steve Perry wrote:

Ah, do not be so fast to judge. the first Al Jazeera reporters jailed were not by the people you'd think.
http://news.sky.com/story/1543580/call-for-al-jazeera-journalists-to-be-pardoned

yes, Al Jazeera does pretty much what any other news organization does. some in this country that have issues too.

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:13 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

Steve Perry wrote:

Okay, FYI, here's the NYT, Jewish-owned media: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/nyregion/workers-at-bh-photo-video-citing-hazards-move-to-unionize.html?_r=0

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:14 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

sjms wrote:
Ah, do not be so fast to judge. the first Al Jazeera reporters jailed were not by the people you'd think.
http://news.sky.com/story/1543580/call-for-al-jazeera-journalists-to-be-pardoned

yes, Al Jazeera does pretty much what any other news organization does. some in this country that have issues too.

---------------------------------------------

johnvanr wrote:
Okay, FYI, here's the NYT, Jewish-owned media: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/nyregion/workers-at-bh-photo-video-citing-hazards-move-to-unionize.html?_r=0

Easy guys - I'm just saying it's a little like taking the word of Hillary Clinton about something Donald Trump did ( presented in no particular order, feel free to rearrange those based on your political party )

Since the NYT article backs it up, it's more legit in my opinion now. If it was just Al Jazeera reporting it, again, I'd be suspicious.

Off to shoot some fall color now...

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:25 AM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

Al Jazeera (at least in DC) is a well-known anti-Jewish (and anti-American) propaganda outlet. That is why it was started.

The NYT is the plaything of a Mexican billionaire, Carlos Slim.

America is still a free country. B&H's workers are free to unionize, or work someone else. You are free to buy from them, or not.

But have some intellectual consistency. If you are truly concerned about workers' rights, then you ought to be boycotting large numbers of products made in China, because according to the US Department of Labor, http://www.dol.gov/ilab/reports/pdf/TVPRA_Report2014.pdf, "ARTIFICIAL FLOWERS • BRICKS • CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS • COAL • COTTON • ELECTRONICS • FIREWORKS • FOOTWEAR • GARMENTS • NAILS • TEXTILES • TOYS" are produced by child labor and/or forced labor in that country. You also should be boycotting Columbian coffee, African chocolate, and Thai fish for the same reasons.

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:36 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

my only point is a question: is there any truely even handed non biased commercial news outlet in the world?

i have done stringer work for some.

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:39 AM
Sayeret18
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

No. But it is a question of degree. Obviously, Pravda and the Washington Post each had an institutional bias and point of view. However, Pravda was by all objective metrics a propaganda outlet, the Post a (sometimes flawed, sometimes brilliant) newspaper. AJ is Pravda on steroids in many respects.

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:48 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

it's a view. each have their own nuances. and in the end the data feed is filtered by the individual that either analyzes "objectively" (oh well hopefully. you know perceptions and all in that noggin) or chooses to believe what is fed to them directly

this is a no win "conversation".

now its back to our sponsors and the same drivel we are fed by them on the differences their products will make in our work. that of course being the wild world of photography

Oct 14, 2015 at 08:53 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

I'm a journalist. I have worked for Dow Jones and have been published in The Wall Street Journal, among other publications.

Judging all news organizations, journalists or the news they report by the behavior of some or based on your own bias and whether the news 'fits' with it, is just wrong. You don't judge all doctors by the sleazy ones, do you?

Most serious journalists have high professional standards, certainly higher than most bloggers.

In this case, B&H clearly has a problem on its hands and that's what's reported. What you or I do with that information is altogether a different story.

I, for one, I'm attending a talk at B&H in a few hours while hoping that they address any real and serious grievances among their workers.

Oct 14, 2015 at 09:57 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

Steve Perry wrote:

Funny how people clutch at such ridiculous straws to try to discredit an article they disagree with...

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:37 AM
wilco23
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

Steve Perry wrote:

I totally agree. They tried to ruin Jewish business. Hopefully it won't impact to B&H since it is the best trusted seller we can rely on.

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:02 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

molson wrote:
Funny how people clutch at such ridiculous straws to try to discredit an article they disagree with...

Now this is where i wish Fred had a "Dis-Like" button.

Steve didn't clutch any straws here, what he stated was something that jumped immediately to the mind of many people here, just look at the number of likes on his comment.

And before so easily passing your judgment so quickly, if you had scrolled down just a few posts you would have seen some clarification by Steve.

Jim

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · BH Mistreatment and Discrimination Article

JimFox wrote:
he stated was something that jumped immediately to the mind of many people here

And therein lies the problem...

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:11 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.