New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

Tom_W
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

Looking for potentially a new set of legs for the Wimberley (original version), 500/4 or more, 2X, and a 5D3 or 7D2 with the possibility of more lens and body. Currently, I'm using a Manfrotto 475b, which is fairly sturdy, though a bit heavy and cumbersome.

Which would you choose, or would you just keep using the big Manfrotto?

Oct 13, 2015 at 04:58 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

I made my decision a long time ago. RRS

Oct 13, 2015 at 05:08 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

Which RRS tripod did you buy? What sets it apart?

Like the Gitzo pods, it commands a good buck!

Oct 13, 2015 at 06:24 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

i own the set.
TVC33 w/BH55 for the bigger lenses (i would have gone for the TVC34 had it existed then)
TVC24 w/BH24 for general use (heavily used)
TQC14 w/BH30 for travel. (for me it is the one that works)

they overlap somewhat between the models

TVC33 setup w/sidekick: https://sjms.smugmug.com/Select-Items/Tools/i-RJq3gzM/O

the TQC setup is currently pack in a bag that's going to japan with me next week.

Oct 13, 2015 at 07:12 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

What is your opinion on the TVC 24L as compared to the 34L? I'm tall and I occasionally point the lens skyward so the taller tripods would be a better choice for me.

Oct 13, 2015 at 08:22 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

being a mere 5'7" puts me somewhat at height disadvantage for using the larger legs w/o a stepladder. if you are over 6ft I'd be looking at the lengthier model.

just remember that the height of a tripod is not it overall height. you need to take into account the heads you will use too and what they will add to the stack.

Oct 13, 2015 at 09:50 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

Good point about the added height. My viewfinder sits around 5-7 inches above the top of the tripod, but that's an estimate. I'll have to measure when I get back home. I've only brought my smaller tripod and kit with me on a family visit.

BTW, that's a nice setup you have in the picture.

I'm still looking for some input on any other of the brands. I did read up a bit more on the RRS tripods last night before heading to sleep. They have a strong reputation.

Oct 14, 2015 at 06:44 AM
Sharona
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

Tom - I don't have much to offer on other brands, but FWIW, I did a lot of research and agonizing before deciding on RRS. Another plus for them is that they are made here in the USA, and, at least in my experience, have pretty great customer service. I'd heard that Gitzo is weak in that area. I also spoke with a photographer who had two Gitzos come apart on her, and not in the joints or areas that can be fixed, but the leg just sheared off from the metal. I realize that this is probably an isolated incident, but since the cost was nearly equal, I went with RRS.

I would say with your height to definitely go with a taller tripod, and if you plan to use heavy lenses a lot, I'd probably go with the 33L. I just got a new 33s, because I'm not tall and didn't need the height on my 24L so I sold that one. I am shocked at the "beefy-ness" of the 33, and can't imagine anyone needing anything stronger! Hope someone else can chime in with the other brands. Good luck!

Oct 14, 2015 at 02:51 PM
rw11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

Gitzo's importer is weak in getting parts for service - weak is a huge understatement

if you want a centerpost then RRS is out (I know, it's a demonic thing to do)

if I didn't already own Gitzo leg sets, I might just get RRS

if I used a Wim. I would not look past the top 2 leg sets...

Oct 14, 2015 at 02:59 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

Thanks for the input, everybody.

Actually, RRS does offer an optional center post. It's $110 for the series 3, though I wouldn't anticipate needing one for my purposes.

I've read a lot of reviews in the last couple of days. I'm leaning towards RRS 34L right now.

Oct 14, 2015 at 03:56 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

For that amount of weight I use a Gitzo 2531LVL tripod. It has no trouble supporting a 600mm f4 lens and no leg flexing at all. What is great about the LVL model is that I can level the tripod in about 5 seconds and never have to adjust the individual legs. I can move the tripod in the field and have it again perfectly level in 5 seconds. For panning or video or landscape photography it is a big benefit.

A second tripod I bought last month is the Oben CT-2391 which goes to 72 inches and 62 inches without the center column raised and has rubber and spiked feet and a weight of only 3.45 lbs. and Oben includes a first rate tripod case (unlike Gitzo that provides a cloth sack with a drawstring). Side by side it is the equal of the much more expensive Gitzo tripods I own.

The whole point of a carbon fiber tripod is to save weight so I don't give a thought to the ones that weigh over 5 lbs. as they are overkill for my purposes. The heavier the tripod the more likely it is to get left at home or in the trunk of the car.

Oct 18, 2015 at 01:15 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Gitzo 3532LS vs Feisol CT-3372 vs RRS or other

Just for fun, I weighed my old Manfrotto 475B, with the Wimberley WH-101 head - 14 pounds. That is probably why I rarely take the "big" pod anywhere.

3 1/2 pounds, Elkhornsun - that is pretty light. Lots of options out there.

Oct 18, 2015 at 03:41 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.