Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 1st Basketball game - NBL Australia with 4 hours notice !

cadman342001
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1st Basketball game - NBL Australia with 4 hours notice !

As the title says, I was offered the dream opportunity to shoot the local team who play in the NBL in Australia last week, with 2 more to come in a 3 game trial and then hopefully every home game during the season, shooting for the NBL themselves.

I went from deciding what to do next in the garden to frantically charging batteries and sorting gear as I only got 4 hours notice.

Here was my kit: D800+80-200/2.8 AFD, D7000+50/1.8G, both gripped and on a dual body harness.

I have shot UCI Mountain bike downhill last year when it was here, kids soccer and the Ironman & a Triathlon event for Finisherpix earlier this year but never been to a basketball game never mind photographed one.

It was the first game of the new season, 5000 fans, nice and bright in the Convention Centre - Shutter priority, 1/800, ISO1600 were my go to settings.

What I took from the game:

1. Wow, it's a fast moving game ! with lots of people in the way - refs, serving people, players etc.etc.
2. It's rather uncomfortable sitting/kneeling/squatting on a wooden floor at my age (47)
3. Uploading at HT and FT using the centre's wi-fi and LR6 CC is not going to work ! - I have been familiarising myself with Photo Mechanic 5 this week in prep for the next game on Saturday. Going for RAW + jpeg on each body, keep the RAWs for later processing, just ingest the jpegs in Photo Mech, add the tagged files into LR for a quick contrast/sharpen/highlights adjustment then export to dropbox. - maybe 10 images at HF, 10 at FT.

Here are some shots, how did I do, what could I do better ?

I am going to try more from under the hoop next time with the 50/1.8

2959_300dpi by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

2960_300dpi by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

1776_300dpi by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

2938_300dpi by AndyMacDougallPhotography, on Flickr

Andy

Oct 13, 2015 at 08:23 AM
3oh6
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1st Basketball game - NBL Australia with 4 hours notice !

These look good for first time out.

Definitely get under the bucket, and move along the baseline while under there to get a feel for the different angles you can get. Don't forget to get those tight shots with the 80-200 of ball handlers coming up the side of the court while you are back there.

I like an 85mm 1.8 on a full crop body under the bucket, but I also play with a 135mm under the bucket for some tighter crop stop under the bucket, or at the top of the key. Your 50mm should be dandy under there.

Submerse yourself in Bball photos between now and your next game. You look like you are off to a decent start. Level those horizons and watch white balance. #3 has some green action happening there.

Oct 13, 2015 at 03:30 PM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1st Basketball game - NBL Australia with 4 hours notice !

Thanks Jody

Oct 13, 2015 at 03:44 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1st Basketball game - NBL Australia with 4 hours notice !

1-3 have decently strong action, but would be much stronger at less than 45 degrees head on, instead of the side.

Oct 14, 2015 at 04:22 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1st Basketball game - NBL Australia with 4 hours notice !

These look pretty good for a first timer; concentrate on faces and weird loose ball action for unusual shots. I'm 62 and just sit cross-legged between the basket and the edge of the court. I put on headphones with my own tunes to block out the annoying noise and get in the groove.

I shoot with a 70-200 f/2.8 for nearby action and use a 300 f/2.8 to shoot action on the opposite side of the court. The umps are a pain and always seem to get their butts to block key shots--choose a side where the guy doesn't go as often. I don't bother with raw files; I just shoot jpegs on sports, especially since the light looks pretty good in these.

Oct 14, 2015 at 05:00 PM
AceCo55

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1st Basketball game - NBL Australia with 4 hours notice !

Let's hope you can get some killer shots of '36er players slam dunking over these Taipans!!

You are doing a good job - and I can only feel that you are just going to get better and better. Good luck to you - right place, right time, right skill set. Enjoy!!

Oct 15, 2015 at 01:33 AM
cadman342001
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1st Basketball game - NBL Australia with 4 hours notice !

Thanks everyone ! Will try and take the tips on board.

I'll let you know how I go on Saturday and put a few up from that one.

It's the local derby vs Townsville, the ReptileRumble : Snakes vs The Crocs

Andy

Oct 15, 2015 at 04:19 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.