New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · What am I doing wrong with lightroom export

roythegreat
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What am I doing wrong with lightroom export

I shoot with my 7D classic sometimes.
My post processing workflow consists of touchups (contrast, WB, clarity etc.) in LightRoom CC. Then I export the photo as .Tiff file and finish my processing at PS CC.
Issue is whenever I export a photo at 300 dpi settings in light room (prophotoRGB color space) the resultant Tiff is only 14.5 X 15.6 inch in size.
As a result of this I can never print a photo, taken with my 7D, at a larger magnification (ex 24 X36 etc.)
Am I doing anything wrong or that is the max size I can get out of a crop sensor camera?

Your help is much appreciated.

Oct 12, 2015 at 09:33 PM
hugowolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What am I doing wrong with lightroom export

roythegreat wrote:
I shoot with my 7D classic sometimes.
My post processing workflow consists of touchups (contrast, WB, clarity etc.) in LightRoom CC. Then I export the photo as .Tiff file and finish my processing at PS CC.
Issue is whenever I export a photo at 300 dpi settings in light room (prophotoRGB color space) the resultant Tiff is only 14.5 X 15.6 inch in size.
As a result of this I can never print a photo, taken with my 7D, at a larger magnification (ex 24 X36 etc.)
Am I doing anything wrong or that is the max size I can get out of
...Show more

I think you're probably misunderstanding what resolution is. You are working with a sensor that is 5184 x 3456 pixels. At 300 ppi, that is 17.28 x 11.52 inches, providing you don't crop the image. There is no reason that you can't print larger than that, but not at 300 ppi.

300 ppi is a very arbitrary number based on offset printing at 150 dpi. It doesn't mean that you can't print at a lower ppi. I have seen very good prints at 150 ppi, but generally I look at 240 ppi as a lower limit (but it is very image dependent.)

Brian A

Edited on Oct 12, 2015 at 11:01 PM · View previous versions

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:16 PM
James R
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What am I doing wrong with lightroom export

Curious as to why you export as a .tiff rather than round-trip to PS from LR? It reads like you don't use LR as a DAM after final processing in PS.

Oct 12, 2015 at 10:33 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What am I doing wrong with lightroom export

James R wrote:
Curious as to why you export as a .tiff rather than round-trip to PS from LR? It reads like you don't use LR as a DAM after final processing in PS.

yep I don't understand that either . working like the OP says he may as well just use PS CC .

better workflow for LR is to EDIT as far as you want in LR then use the EDIT IN option to send to PS and one done in PS SAVE (not save as) and the the file comes back into LR as either a tiff or a PSD and is stacked with the original file

Oct 13, 2015 at 01:39 AM
John Wheeler
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What am I doing wrong with lightroom export

Hi Roythegreat

Hugowolf is spot on with this quote
You are working with a sensor that is 5184 x 3456 pixels. At 300 ppi, that is 17.28 x 11.52 inches

Here is some additional information. The commonly quoted 300dpi or 240dpi required resolution is based on the limits of of the human eye resolution when viewing an image at about 10 inches.

If you minimum viewing distance of he image is twice that (20 inches) then the average human eye resolution at that distance is 150ppi or 120ppi depending on your starting resolution you use at 10 inch distance.

A rule of thumb is that the average viewing distance of a large print is typically no closer than the diagonal distance of the print. In your case of 24 x36 print, the typical viewing distance is well over 20 inches and your print would look just fine at the lower resolutions.

As always there are more technical details such as the type of paper you use to print yet the above are good general guidelines.

Hope this helps.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:06 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.