New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Portrait - inspired by Dan Winters

socaldan
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portrait - inspired by Dan Winters

Here's my first attempt at lighting a portrait with the look of a Dan Winters.

3 strobes were used.
If you care to guess the placement and modifiers, I should have the layout shot when I can get back to my LR catalog later.

Oct 12, 2015 at 07:37 PM
socaldan
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portrait - inspired by Dan Winters

Here's the setup shot from my iPhone.

Main light: Beauty Dish with sock
Fill 1: Ring Light
Fill 2: Bare flash with medium reflector and, I think, a 10 degree grid.

I find his lighting so interesting. It was fun to try and deconstruct what I was seeing. I think I got close enough and learned a little something along the way.

I'm starting to read Dan Winter's book "Road to Seeing". Amazing stories and evolution of a great artist. Highly recommended!

Oct 12, 2015 at 11:19 PM
gregfixit
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portrait - inspired by Dan Winters

Well done. Very interesting portrait.
Didn't know much about Dan Winter but I know more now. Thanks.
Greg

Oct 13, 2015 at 08:06 AM
tcphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portrait - inspired by Dan Winters

I'm a big fan of the Wide Soft Reflector on the Profoto Ringlight.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:47 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portrait - inspired by Dan Winters

It looks like you have used the tools Dan Winters uses, but I'm not sure you are using the same placement and ratios he does.

From what I see, he likes to use ring light on a moderate telephoto to get a hard, pinpoint light from the ring light. It looks like his photo of John Waters is lit with just the ring light. I saw another photo or two where he adds a beauty dish, sometimes socked, sometimes not.

I know he has won a gazillion awards, but from what I've seen I'm not a big fan. I was reading a review of his book and scrolled down to an image and thought: "Finally here's an image I like." It turned out the photo was by Sally Mann! I do like his portrait of Benedict Cumberbatch, though. I think the main thing that bugs me is posing, with the subject staring off in the distance instead of making eye contact.

Once you've deconstructed his lighting, figure out a way to make it your own, to express what you want to say.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:08 PM
socaldan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portrait - inspired by Dan Winters

tcphoto wrote:
I'm a big fan of the Wide Soft Reflector on the Profoto Ringlight.

I'll check that out.

My Quadra Ringlight came with a diffuser that is form fit to the clear front lens, but I haven't used it yet.

I plan using it for some Christmas card pictures of some volunteer family members soon.

- - - - -
BTW, Thanks Greg!

Edited on Oct 13, 2015 at 07:40 PM · View previous versions

Oct 13, 2015 at 03:53 PM
socaldan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portrait - inspired by Dan Winters

dmacmillan wrote:
It looks like you have used the tools Dan Winters uses, but I'm not sure you are using the same placement and ratios he does.

From what I see, he likes to use ring light on a moderate telephoto to get a hard, pinpoint light from the ring light. It looks like his photo of John Waters is lit with just the ring light. I saw another photo or two where he adds a beauty dish, sometimes socked, sometimes not.

I know he has won a gazillion awards, but from what I've seen I'm not a big fan. I was
...Show more

I know one thing, he has a lot more gear and resources than me... not to mention, being smarter.

He's got a lot of different looks and I really enjoy trying to mentally figure them out.
My wife doesn't like this portrait (of my daughter) either...haha! I like it because I got closer to understanding how it may have been made by him. It will help inform my work down the road--I guess, my "Road to Seeing"

I'm really just a hobbyist, now retired, that took a sharp turn to computers and IT work when my friends were going to Art Center in LA. Now I get to goof around with what I couldn't do as a young man raising a young family. No regrets!

Thanks for the input!

Oct 13, 2015 at 04:21 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portrait - inspired by Dan Winters

socaldan wrote:
I'm really just a hobbyist, now retired, that took a sharp turn to computers and IT work when my friends were going to Art Center in LA. Now I get to goof around with what I couldn't do as a young man raising a young family. No regrets!

Oh, the irony! I'm an Art Center grad!

After spending several years as a full time commercial/industrial photographer, I went back to school and got a second degree in, what for it.....Computer Science!

Ever since going into IT I've been a hobbyist like you. I also have no regrets.

You'd think that since I went to Art Center, I'd like Dan Winters' style. I guess I'm too much of a lighting traditionalist to get around some of the techniques he uses.

Hats off to you for experimenting to understand methods used to create photos you appreciate.

Oct 14, 2015 at 07:43 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.