New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Elmoo

sidefunk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Elmoo

Shot on my Mamiya RZ67 with Fuji FP-3000B instant film (aka polaroid) and digitized with my D610.

Oct 11, 2015 at 06:03 PM
Puffin Runner
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Elmoo

Cute! Love the high-key-like treatment you gave in your lighting and B&W conversion!

Your composition (or cropping) is interesting -- normally, people will allow more on the side where the subject is looking, because it presents a more pleasing or satisfying image. (Subconsciously the space allows for some sort of comfort on the part of the viewer, as if we can be sure that there's no Bogey Man lurking within arm's reach of Elmoo. Hmm.)

Your composition / cropping choice creates some tension. What's going on the direction Elmoo is looking? I of course do not know, and that sends my conscious and subconscious minds wandering. If that' the effect you were seeking, then well done!

Oct 12, 2015 at 06:02 PM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Elmoo

Thanks puffin runner always appreciate your analysis. The framing was intentional/necessitated by the brief moment of inactivity. I, however, had not thought about the absence of elmoos gaze as creating another element of tension. Nice observation.

Oct 12, 2015 at 08:43 PM
Puffin Runner
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Elmoo

You're certainly welcome

That's one reason I call them "photography principles" instead of "rules." If you know the principles and how to apply them, you can also anticipate what's going to happen when you choose not to apply them. In addition to the "looking out of the frame" principle, another classic is symmetry -- images that are substantially symmetrical tend to create tension as well. If you're going for tension of some kind, then the principle is still upheld and you still have a good image.

Oct 14, 2015 at 04:02 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.