New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · shot with tungsten light

Paul_K
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · shot with tungsten light

I have been shooting a fair bit of fashion lately.

Yet I caught myself that I, despite also being something of a make up artist, had neglected doing any specific beauty shooting as a part of it.
Also I was getting swept along in the 'rat race' of 'best' camera, sharpest lens, watt/seconds etc.

So the other day I, following the request of a model for some studio shots, decided to shoot the way I basically did 30 years ago

A simple 1000W tungsten light bounced in a silver umbrella, silver reflection screen on the right as fill in, grey paper back ground, Nikon 1.4/85mm AF D.

Only compromise as far as the camera was concerned, so no Nikon F2AS and Kodak Ektachrome EPJ, but a Nikon DF (although the 'mere' 16 megapixel for some disqualifies it as a professional's choice)

http://m9.i.pbase.com/o9/20/670620/1/161543309.ziN6DqO0.Madelinde10320151010.jpg
f3,5 at 1/159th exposure + 1/3 processed with Nikon Capture NX 2.4.6, no Photoshop, special 'portrait software' etc

Edited on Oct 13, 2015 at 03:56 PM · View previous versions

Oct 11, 2015 at 12:59 PM
bwalwork
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · shot with tungsten light

I like the image except for me it's a bit too hot. I'd have given it a straight exposure, without the +1/3. My opinion!

Oct 11, 2015 at 06:22 PM
Puffin Runner
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · shot with tungsten light

Proof that one need not drop thousands and thousands of dollars on gear. The photographer's mind is the most important piece of equipment, period.

Oct 12, 2015 at 06:04 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · shot with tungsten light

Agree that it is too hot.

Oct 12, 2015 at 09:48 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · shot with tungsten light

Image appears to be a little hot as others have pointed out, but I'm also seeing a dark horizontal line running under her lip from each corner of her smile crease lines. Shadow on her cheeks camera left appear ashy. If this was to be a beauty shot, not seeing it. While the exposure for the leather and blouse looks spot on, I feel the skin tones and makeup miss the mark.

Oct 13, 2015 at 08:22 AM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · shot with tungsten light

elliotkramer wrote:
Agree that it is too hot.

John Webb wrote:
Image appears to be a little hot as others have pointed out, but I'm also seeing a dark horizontal line running under her lip from each corner of her smile crease lines. Shadow on her cheeks camera left appear ashy. If this was to be a beauty shot, not seeing it. While the exposure for the leather and blouse looks spot on, I feel the skin tones and makeup miss the mark.

Well, considering e.g. David Bailey http://www.gracetesta.com/archives/599 and Vogue Nippon http://www.eyeshadowlipstick.com/17055/vogue-nippon-january-2008-beauty/ got similar results , I think I can safely ignore the comments of the 'experts'

Oct 13, 2015 at 06:17 PM
John Webb
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · shot with tungsten light

Sorry but your image is nowhere close to Bailey or Vouge Nippon.

Oct 13, 2015 at 07:08 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · shot with tungsten light

John Webb wrote:
Sorry but your image is nowhere close to Bailey or Vouge Nippon.

Yet as far as the 'too hot' skin tone and the 'dark horizontal line running under her lip from each corner of her smile crease lines' are concerned are I am

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:34 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · shot with tungsten light

OK. No your not. Not even close. If you can't see that then how will you ever be able to get it right?

Oct 15, 2015 at 10:21 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.