Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Can shutter speed affect sensor bloom, all other things being equal?

Andrew Pece Photography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can shutter speed affect sensor bloom, all other things being equal?

Have been trying to get an area to experiment this on, but my apartment has only a second story window unfortunately.

Regarding sensor bloom for interiors work: I deal with bloom a lot as sunlight creeps in at the edges of window sills, tree lines etc. the thing I am wondering, is if shutter speed has any effect on bloom given the same amount of light.

In other words, if I do a 1/20 exposure and I am just starting to get bloom from the sunlight outside of a window, could I expect that same exact amount of bloom with the same exact amount of light coming from the same direction if I was using flash and a 1/200 shutter speed?

I'm thinking through the theory, and it seems as though a longer exposure could result in a more widespread blooming effect, as perhaps there is more bleed time, and difficulty in containment? Guessing but it seems possible. My gut/experience tells me there could be less bloom with flash/fast shutter.

I'd be happy to post this in a different section if people think I may get a better response.

Thanks!

Oct 11, 2015 at 01:32 AM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can shutter speed affect sensor bloom, all other things being equal?

I actually just realized I could do these tests in a doorway with some window light behind it. I'll do those tomorrow but any thoughts still appreciated.

Oct 11, 2015 at 01:40 AM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can shutter speed affect sensor bloom, all other things being equal?

My guess would be that the bloom is caused by overexposure and not shutter speed.

I would also suggest that sharpness on the contrast edge would be paramount - which might not be a problem in your test, but incorporating a level of out of focus edge in a real life shoot might give the impression of bloom.

Oct 11, 2015 at 05:31 PM
Andrew Pece Photography
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can shutter speed affect sensor bloom, all other things being equal?

Thanks. I played with this today. I did notice a slightly smaller amount of bloom in the flash frames, but it was very small if anything and could have been due to error n my very unscientific test.

Oct 11, 2015 at 10:36 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.