FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2015 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

snowboarder
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

All models are sold out, not sure what that means, but I guess it's quite popular...

Oct 14, 2015 at 09:42 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

Jman13 wrote:
The Macbook's connectivity is a bummer, and you can argue that dongles provide what you need, but hanging extra crap off my machine to give it ports it should have natively doesn't appeal. The Macbook is slightly thinner than my Zenbook (1.31cm vs. 1.49cm), but my machine manages to have three USB ports, a charging port, HDMI output, headphone jack and SDXC card slot. I don't see any reason why Apple couldn't have done 3 USB-C connectors on the Macbook...it's just not that hard. Otherwise, it is a beautiful device, though.

I have had both the 11" Macbook Air and now the new MacBook. The screen is miles better on the new MacBook and the keyboard is a lot better too. I don't mind the connectivity as I think of the dongle as just part of the cord to charge the machine and the MacBook has a smaller power brick than the MacBook Air, so the new MacBook with the smaller brick and the cord (i.e., cord plus dongle) is quite a bit lighter than the one for the MacBook air. So you get a lighter machine, a much better screen, and a better keyboard than the MacBook Air. I have found the new MacBook to be a very nice upgrade, but if I were using it extensively for editing photos I would get a 13" MacBook Pro. Sure it is a lot heavier but I would want the extra horsepower and the ability to connect to a thunderbolt hard drive if I wanted.

Oct 14, 2015 at 09:45 AM
snowboarder
• • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

I got mine yesterday. First Windows device in 20 years
Anyway, this thing is simply AMAZING. Feels like the future vs my dinosaur Macs. Incredible.

Screen is brilliant, pen works smoothly, Photoshop runs like a charm.
In tablet mode you can use writing recognition instead of keyboard and it works great.

Everything is new to me, but god, this is the first exciting laptop in ages!

One small thing - Bridge hasn't been updated recently so the font scaling doesn't work.
Found a little hack to make the menus bigger, but it's a hack. Worried a bit Adobe is killing off Bridge.
Will have to switch to Lightroom finally, not super happy about it...

But Photoshop works amazing well.

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:00 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

A common problem that users have been complaining about is that the display changes hue after scrolling on webpages. Not sure how this affects PS (or if it does), but if it did that would be a major problem to me. Here is a video showing the issue.

https://youtu.be/bHIFpUWB2AY

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:23 AM
mcbroomf
• • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

snowboarder wrote:
I got mine yesterday. First Windows device in 20 years
Anyway, this thing is simply AMAZING. Feels like the future vs my dinosaur Macs. Incredible.

Screen is brilliant, pen works smoothly, Photoshop runs like a charm.
In tablet mode you can use writing recognition instead of keyboard and it works great.

Everything is new to me, but god, this is the first exciting laptop in ages!

One small thing - Bridge hasn't been updated recently so the font scaling doesn't work.
Found a little hack to make the menus bigger, but it's a hack. Worried a bit Adobe is killing off Bridge.
Will have to switch
...Show more

Can you take it outside please, and comment on how easy it is to see the display and work with it, both in direct sunlight and in shade?

Thanks!

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:08 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

I hope they have learned how to scale for high rez, as that has never been nice with windows.

The rImac is killer at this.

Windows 10.....I have to fiddle with it these days helping people. Underneath the slick look I always end up at the old familiar dialog boxes, some go all the way back to Win 98 I think.

I was just looking at the hoops for the "free" upgrade. Free, except for the extra time to deal with the Labyrinth and wonder what license you end up with. Once I figured out it's good for quite a while, I gave up.

Oct 27, 2015 at 01:08 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

snowboarder wrote:
All models are sold out, not sure what that means, but I guess it's quite popular...

It means someone bought both of them.

Oct 27, 2015 at 01:18 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

uhoh7 wrote:
I hope they have learned how to scale for high rez, as that has never been nice with windows.

The rImac is killer at this.

Windows 10.....I have to fiddle with it these days helping people. Underneath the slick look I always end up at the old familiar dialog boxes, some go all the way back to Win 98 I think.

I was just looking at the hoops for the "free" upgrade. Free, except for the extra time to deal with the Labyrinth and wonder what license you end up with. Once I figured out it's good for quite a
...Show more

Scaling got fixed for the most part with Win8.1 (only issue is moving between low-res & high-res screens).

Apple's scaling is actually horrid. They provide only two options at the OS level, full-res and 1/4 res and force app makers to handle it themselves. Windows does it natively and leaves well coded apps working without interference. Nothing funnier than looking at a non-retina-aware app on a retina display.

Needless to say bad apps make both sides look even worse.

Oct 27, 2015 at 02:30 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

mawz wrote:
Scaling got fixed for the most part with Win8.1 (only issue is moving between low-res & high-res screens).

Apple's scaling is actually horrid. They provide only two options at the OS level, full-res and 1/4 res and force app makers to handle it themselves. Windows does it natively and leaves well coded apps working without interference. Nothing funnier than looking at a non-retina-aware app on a retina display.

Needless to say bad apps make both sides look even worse.

Scaling on the 5K is totally different than on a retina laptop. Well, good to hear windows is getting better.

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:36 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

uhoh7 wrote:
Scaling on the 5K is totally different than on a retina laptop. Well, good to hear windows is getting better.

It's exactly the same, just with more pixels. Same OS hooks, same backend engine.

Looks better because even in 1/4 rez mode there's enough pixels to look decent, unlike the laptops

Oct 27, 2015 at 10:38 PM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Surface Book - true travel photographer's dream

OK it came. I spent a few hours with it and hated it. Well ok didn't hate it but it didn't offer me anything over what I am currently using. SO I thought, ok maybe I will give it a week and see. 3 days later.... Still not 100% on it. I think I will just keep my rMBP with my iPad as my makeshift wacom and wait and see what apple comes out with this year as far as rMBP upgrades go.

Nov 11, 2015 at 11:30 AM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.