New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Newbie needs tripod help

Solanum

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Newbie needs tripod help

I'm going to start this off by saying that I am just about as beginner as you can get. I have literally never owned a camera before; while growing up, my parents decided anything above a $10 disposable was a waste of money, so owning a real, not-covered-in-paper camera has always been a dream of mine.

Fast forward 15 years later, when I finally got a Canon Rebel T5 for my birthday (I know it's nothing special, but I love it), and am shopping for a 70-200mm f/4 lens. I would love some help picking out a tripod to go with this setup; there are hundreds of options out there, and I need the benefit of someone else's experience. I'm spending 90% or my money on lenses, so I'm looking for a tripod in the $200-$400 range, and am 100% down with buying a used one, since I know that's a pretty limiting budget.

So first of all I'm not sure how much more gear I'm going to end up getting. Because of that, I want a tripod that won't limit me with weight restrictions. I don't need anything nutty (tripod with a 40 pound weight capacity, for example), but I do at least want the option of throwing a bigger lens on my camera without worry.
This tripod will mainly be used outside, for long exposure night photography (not true astrophotography though, no azimuth mounts needed), landscapes, and hopefully a bit of macro.
I want something collapsible, as I will be hiking with it (although tripod weight is a secondary concern to me), and something that's easy to extend. I have rheumatoid arthritis (in my 20's, score!), so the tripods you have to twist to extend are intensely difficult to use. Cold also affects it, but given the price of carbon fiber, I'm probably going to have to deal with chilly titanium (unless wood tripods are still in use).
Finally, and this one is purely for fun: I've seen tripods with a swivel boom/invertable central shaft (not sure about terminology here, sorry) for fun perspective shots, macro, etc. I am very intrigued by this option too, but it might be pure gimmick, so I'll wait for a communal opinion on that one.

As I said, I'm a pure beginner, so if anyone has any suggestions I am all ears, and if I'm way off in what I'm looking for, please let me know. I would rather be wrong than waste money on an expensive tripod. Thank you all for your help, kind photography gurus, and I look forward to your suggestions!

Oct 10, 2015 at 01:53 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Newbie needs tripod help

FEISOL CT-3442
$400 and all you could ever need.

The Feisol has the twist rings to extend the legs, but I'm not sure the lever locks from other manufacturers would be any easier to manipulate unless you attached some kind of pull tab or your thumb is unaffected
I'd consider maybe a (locking vice?) wrench with rubber over the teeth to turn the twist locks allowing you to use more of your upper arm. Either way, I would expect setting up your tripod to take a little more time than average, but that's ok. Just arrive early!

Welcome to FM

David

p.s.
the 70-200mm is kind of a specialized lens for a crop sensor. Probably want to make sure you have something shorter for landscapes.

Edited on Oct 10, 2015 at 06:51 PM · View previous versions

Oct 10, 2015 at 06:42 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Newbie needs tripod help

I am using a Slik 700 DX leg set with a used Arca Swiss B-1 ballhead. As I said in another thread about a week ago, I think the head is just important if not more so than the legs. The Slik legs can be had new for $115 on Amazon, and are as solid as anything anywhere close to the same price. Great ballheads like AS or RRS or markins or Kirk or a whole bunch of chinese knock offs can be had for $200 or less quite easily with a little patience and shopping around.

The Slik uses lever locks, which I prefer, and I think may be easier for you as it is more of a coarse type movement that does not require grip strength like a twist lock.

Good luck and happy shooting!
Paul

Oct 10, 2015 at 06:50 PM
Solanum

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Newbie needs tripod help

Fantastic, thank you both for the recommendations, having it narrowed down to two options will make things immeasurably easier. I'll check out both the Feisol and the Slik/Arca tonight to see which looks better suited. Again, thanks a bunch, I didn't even know where to start.

David, as for the lens, I got a Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens for free from Amazon. I wasn't planning on using it as my primary (that would be the 70-200), but I was going to hang on to it specifically for landscapes. Would that lens be better suited? I know it's not the best, and I should eventually upgrade, but hey free is free.

Oct 10, 2015 at 07:46 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Newbie needs tripod help

I'm not familiar with the ef-s lenses.
Should be easy to search some reviews. That being said, many modern lenses are quite nice. With the right light, subject, and composition you can create great images. Don't let lots of test charts or brick walls distract you.

Oct 10, 2015 at 08:29 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Newbie needs tripod help

The 15-85 is generally well regarded, but I have no personal experience with it.

Paul

Oct 10, 2015 at 09:48 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Newbie needs tripod help

Welcome to FM, Solanum (feel free to put your real name in your profile so we know who we are engaging!),

The 15-85 is a good lens, and is perfect for a 'walk-around' lens on an APS-C camera. I owned both it and the 17-85, and prefer it's extra range on the wide side; hold onto it and use it for awhile.

I second the Feisol suggestion, good bang for the buck, though I realize the twist-locks may be an issue for you. I own the smaller travel version with a PhotoClam ballhead, and it works quite well. For throwing it on a pack, I really like the way you extend the center column and flip the legs all the way up in order to compact it, and nest the ballhead within the legs. Should be able to find them used on Buy & Sell if you keep your eyes open.

Good luck!

-Jeff

Oct 20, 2015 at 09:10 AM
Solanum

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Newbie needs tripod help

I ended up breaking down and driving to an actual town with actual shops so I could visit a camera store. They didn't have any Feisol tripods, but they did have the Slik 700 DX, and I liked the feel of it.

After trying various leg locking systems, I've determined that twist lock is NOT for me (they made my index finger and thumb ache horribly for days). I didn't end up buying anything, but now that I have a better idea of what will and will not work for me I can keep an eye on the Buy and Sell forum for any promising options.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I just got what I hope was a pretty good deal on a Sigma 100-300 f/4, so my need for a tripod is even greater than ever. I guess I'd better stop procrastinating and get to looking...

Edit: I tried updating my name in my profile, hope it worked, but just in case my name is Michelle.

Oct 20, 2015 at 06:45 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Newbie needs tripod help

Welcome to the forum! When you say a tripod, I assume that the ballhead is included with the tripod in your budget? It does make a difference as ballheads can be as or more expensive than the tripod. It often makes sense to buy a tripod from one manufacturer and a ballhead from another. It makes things more complicated but you can get better value that way.

Benro/Induro, Feisol, Velbon are just three of the fairly well regarded brands if you want to buy new. A used Gitzo would be a great choice but unfortunately for you they only come with twist locks. Sirui makes good quality and inexpensive ballheads like the K-30X and its siblings.

Solanum wrote:
Finally, and this one is purely for fun: I've seen tripods with a swivel boom/invertable central shaft (not sure about terminology here, sorry) for fun perspective shots, macro, etc. I am very intrigued by this option too, but it might be pure gimmick, so I'll wait for a communal opinion on that one.

Benro made a tripod with an articulating center column that didn't sell well and I think the line has been discontinued. I use one the A2970T and it's just a really useful design. I use mine indoors and it's aluminum, and they made a range of these tripods in both aluminum and carbon fiber and with either twist locks or flip/lever locks. IMHO the design is just a real time-saver but the market must be very small for them. Samy's are selling an A2970F which is my tripod with flip/lever locks. They are not particularly light at 4.5lbs weight. A pic of mine is attached below.

In general, Roger Cicala's view at LensRental is worth reading. He sees a huge amount of equipment and knows from experience what is well made for purpose and reasonably durable.

Oct 21, 2015 at 09:28 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Newbie needs tripod help

look into the sirui line. I bought their ball head almost 2 years ago, and since then they have become more mainstream. Even local photo shops carry them.

Very well made and priced very well. If you shoot at the beach often, don't get carbon fibre - unless you don't care about babying it and spending gallons of water washing it like a baby

Oct 21, 2015 at 02:26 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Newbie needs tripod help

I have a Feisol 3442 also. No problems with it so far - it's light, solid and tall. You can get a vertical centre column for it as an option (not needed though, as it is already tall), and also a horizontal centre column for doing macro etc. Additionally, the centre-piece where the camera mounts can be removed and fitted upside down, so that the camera is below rather than above the mount plate.

It does have twist locks, but you don't need a lot of force to lock them. Certainly the lever locks on my previous manfrotto were much harder on the fingers. If you want to reduce the number of leg locks you have to deal with you could get the CT-3342, which has 3 section rather than 4 section legs. You sacrifice compactness with that, but nothing else.

Whilst shopping for this tripod i did check out the Manfrotto with the articulating centre column, and i had doubts about the robustness of the clamp/boss. It didn't feel very solid to me. It also seemed a bit fiddly to swap from vertical to horizontal, which could be a problem with your arthritis. I'm sure there are some owners who can chime in and give their experience on this though.

Remember to include a ballhead in your budget, by the way....

Oct 22, 2015 at 08:54 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.