New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Another Iceland trip advice thread

bvphotos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another Iceland trip advice thread

I have a short business trip to Reykjavik coming up in about 10 days. I'll have just a couple of days to travel around, so I can't go too far from the city. Between my 6D, A7II and X-E2, I plan to take 2 bodies.

- Most likely the A7II with the 16-35 (that I need to buy), FE 55 & Contax G 90. And the X-E2 with the kit lens.
- Do I need a longer lens? I have the EF 70-200 f4 IS and the XC 50-230mm
- Would it be a mistake to not take a tripod? I'd rather not carry one to save on weight, but not if Iceland is one of those few places where you must take your tripod.
- If you had only a couple of days, which places would you prioritize?

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:00 AM
Aztatlan
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another Iceland trip advice thread

bvphotos wrote:

- Would it be a mistake to not take a tripod? I'd rather not carry one to save on weight, but not if Iceland is one of those few places where you must take your tripod.
- If you had only a couple of days, which places would you prioritize?

I used my 70-200 a lot but with only two days you probably wouldn't feel too much pain if you didn't take it. Plenty of other photo ops with what you have available.

Not taking a tripod would absolutely be a mistake if you plan on doing any serious landscape photograpghy - that is to say, sunrise or sunset work, or aurora photography. If content with midday tourist happy snaps feel free to leave the tripod at home.

As for where to go, it's a small island and you can pretty much go almost anywhere without burning too much time. Not sure what your plans are for accommodation but if you aren't prebooking you may want to just chase the weather as your likelihood of good photos will increase this way. Check forecast when done in Reykjavik and head to the area that has a promising weather forecast.

Weather not withstanding I'd recommend either the South Coast as far as Jokulsarlon or the Snaefellsnes Peninsula with the time you have. Another option would be the 'Golden Circle' area but IMO the photographic opportunities are not quite as strong here, but on the flipside it's less travel time.

If going South Coast in good road conditions you're looking at approx 4-5 hours to reach Jokulsarlon from Reykjavik. Perhaps spend one night half-way along in the Vik area from where you could visit and shoot places like Dyrholaey, Skogafoss, Seljalandsfoss, Reynisdrangar etc. Further up the road closer to Jokulsarlon you can access both the lagoon and the ice beach of Jokulsarlon, Fjallsarlon a bit down the road and nearby Skaftafell including the Svartifoss waterfall. A little past Jokulsarlon (approx 90 minutes or less) you can shoot Vestrahorn.

Two days will go fast; the best photo ops aren't the ones closest to Reykjavik but if you want something easy and close to town (relatively), there are some opportunities there such as Gullfoss and Bruarfoss.

Oct 13, 2015 at 12:45 AM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another Iceland trip advice thread

The tripod is a must, but I think A7II with the 16-35 might be plenty. Do not take longer lens unless you are planning on taking pictures of the wildlife.
You'll need ND filter for the waterfalls, and something to wipe the lens with, and to keep the camera dry. As about going places, it depends on a forecast (I would bring both crampons and rain gear, just in case.)
Both South Coast and West Coast have plenty of attractions.
Keep in mind that Iceland is not really "a small island". The distances are long, weather changes rapidly, and trips may take longer than planned.

Sasha.

Sasha.

Oct 13, 2015 at 03:32 PM
Jeff Rogers
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Another Iceland trip advice thread

I just returned from there. Tripod is a must and I was surprised how much I used around 105mm focal length too. It is a fabulous place but weather changes rapidly. Normally, I just do wide angle stuff. Enjoy!

Oct 24, 2015 at 08:11 AM
zaujong
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Another Iceland trip advice thread

I have a similar question. I have a Sony A7ii. For those who have been there, would you rather have the
16-35 F4 + 55mm F1.8 or
24-70 F4 + 55mm?
I am thinking to go there to look for the Northern Lights.
Is there a better time of the year? I understand that during summer, there will be more sunlight and hence less Northern Light.
Which tour would you have a good experience with?

I understand as well that October is a wet season there.

Oct 24, 2015 at 09:22 AM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Another Iceland trip advice thread

bvphotos wrote:
I have a short business trip to Reykjavik coming up in about 10 days. I'll have just a couple of days to travel around, so I can't go too far from the city. Between my 6D, A7II and X-E2, I plan to take 2 bodies.

- Most likely the A7II with the 16-35 (that I need to buy), FE 55 & Contax G 90. And the X-E2 with the kit lens.
- Would it be a mistake to not take a tripod? I'd
...Show more

I'd go north to Grundarfjordur to shoot Kirkjufellsfoss. Great sunrise/sunset and at this time depending on conditions, can get some killer aurora shots. Here's a link to my photo from the summer:
http://www.pbase.com/kssphotography/europe

Most of my shots were with the 16-35mm but I wished i had something wider. 16-35 and 24-70 were my most used lens.

Oct 25, 2015 at 04:59 PM
khurram1
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Another Iceland trip advice thread

zaujong wrote:
I have a similar question. I have a Sony A7ii. For those who have been there, would you rather have the
16-35 F4 + 55mm F1.8 or
24-70 F4 + 55mm?
I am thinking to go there to look for the Northern Lights.
Is there a better time of the year? I understand that during summer, there will be more sunlight and hence less Northern Light.
Which tour would you have a good experience with?

I understand as well that October is a wet season there.

see post below. My most used lens were 16-35 and 24-70. Half of my trip in August was heavy rains, so i think most of the year is wet in Iceland, but Oct-April is supposed to be the best for the northern lights.

Oct 25, 2015 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.