New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Lost All 1DX

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lost All 1DX

I sent in the 1DX for service and they reset everything. I tried to reload the CAMSET file and it says something about not being possible. Has this happened to anyone else? It takes forever to set up the camera, so I'm rather bummed.

EBH

Oct 09, 2015 at 08:41 PM
jaylee73
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lost All 1DX

Yes, I had the same thing happen. The newer firmware doesn't read setting files created on older firmware.
I was bummed as well when it happened to me.
Jason

Oct 09, 2015 at 09:12 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lost All 1DX

Damn. That must be it. The camera is now at 2.08.
I don't recall that issue with the 1Ds III updates.

EBH

Oct 09, 2015 at 09:17 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lost All 1DX

I had read to take shots of your settings before you send in, for this very reason.. Someone else had the same experience.. Unfortunately this info is a bit to late... Sorry EB-1

Oct 09, 2015 at 09:48 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lost All 1DX

I have two 5D IIII bodies, so those are easy enough to set side by side, but I've used the CAMSET file for the 1D series for over a decade, so I did think about it.

The AF correction for one lens seems to still be there, so I assume the others will also be OK.

EBH

Oct 09, 2015 at 10:00 PM
charlyw
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lost All 1DX

EB-1 wrote:
The AF correction for one lens seems to still be there, so I assume the others will also be OK.

Don't assume that to be still valid - service usually entails a camera calibration check and if necessary correction. So unless only your lenses are at fault then that AF correction no longer is valid...

Oct 10, 2015 at 02:15 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lost All 1DX

I only asked for a sensor cleaning. If the AF is messed up I'm screwed. I don't have the time before departure and the lensalign is about 2000 miles from here.

EBH

Oct 10, 2015 at 09:38 AM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lost All 1DX

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Oooh that's tough. I usually create a spreadsheet of my AF corrections because I know I won't remember any of them. Another thing, I have always been very cautious about doing anything or having anything done to my stuff before a trip - that goes for my car, camera etc. because stuff just goes wrong. I wait until I get back.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:23 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lost All 1DX

Scary and a total PIA. I just love how every time I get something back from Canon service, it's been improved, and I have to reclaim all my settings which I haven't been in the habit of documenting. Need to start doing so.

Slightly off topic, but I'm at 2.0.3. Does upgrading to 2.0.8 in camera affect custom settings? I suppose I need to get the update done, but will wait till VB/FB are over.

Robert

Oh, does 2.0.8 provide significant improvement?

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:39 AM

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lost All 1DX

The thread title made me prepare to commiserate with you on the loss of the 1D X (or maybe multiple ones). I'm glad that the situation isn't quite so grave.

Edited by Guest on Oct 10, 2015 at 11:04 AM · View previous versions

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:54 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lost All 1DX

I'm still on 2.0.3. I haven't noticed anything particularly interesting in the FW updates, and it ain't broke, if you know what I mean.

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:56 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lost All 1DX

Methodical wrote:
Oooh that's tough. I usually create a spreadsheet of my AF corrections because I know I won't remember any of them. Another thing, I have always been very cautious about doing anything or having anything done to my stuff before a trip - that goes for my car, camera etc. because stuff just goes wrong. I wait until I get back.

I had two too close together and now am regretting it. I did not help that I had a terrible virus for almost two weeks.

EBH

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:13 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lost All 1DX

Methodical wrote:
"I usually create a spreadsheet of my AF corrections"

Me too!

I create a spreadsheet of my AF corrections also however bear in mind that the AF could have been adjusted or changed somehow while the camera was in service. After service I would check a lens or two and if the settings are significantly different then re-calibrate all of my lenses.

For custom settings I print the page(s) from the pdf version of the manual that usually has a table of the possible settings and then I mark the ones I changed from default and store it in my camera case.

Oct 10, 2015 at 11:53 AM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lost All 1DX

I had my firmware updated by canon too. All my CF's were reset but the MA on all my glass were all intact....

Oct 10, 2015 at 01:45 PM
canon pants
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lost All 1DX

EB-1 wrote:
I have two 5D IIII bodies, so those are easy enough to set side by side, but I've used the CAMSET file for the 1D series for over a decade, so I did think about it.

EBH

That is awesome, you already have two Mark 4's. I would just use those.

Oct 11, 2015 at 07:09 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lost All 1DX

I missed the 1D IV. In that era I was using the 1Ds III.

EBH

Oct 11, 2015 at 08:18 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lost All 1DX

Ralph Thompson wrote:
I had my firmware updated by canon too. All my CF's were reset but the MA on all my glass were all intact....

That should be good news. It seems OK with the 100-400 II.

EBH

Oct 11, 2015 at 04:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lost All 1DX

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Methodical wrote:
"I usually create a spreadsheet of my AF corrections"

Photonadave wrote:
Me too!

I create a spreadsheet of my AF corrections also however bear in mind that the AF could have been adjusted or changed somehow while the camera was in service. After service I would check a lens or two and if the settings are significantly different then re-calibrate all of my lenses.

For custom settings I print the page(s) from the pdf version of the manual that usually has a table of the possible settings and then I mark the ones I changed from default and store it in my camera case.

The corrections are in the EXIF data, so I can see it in the DPP for most lenses.
It takes a bit to find images at the ends of a zoom, but for example the 100-400 II (Copy 1) is +3 at one end and -3 at the other.

EBH

Oct 11, 2015 at 04:03 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lost All 1DX

I don't bother with a spreadsheet. I just record all settings in a text file. I don't really have a huge amount of them that are non-default on my 1DX. Canon does a pretty good job of setting it up.

Oct 11, 2015 at 09:35 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lost All 1DX

ggreene wrote:
I don't bother with a spreadsheet. I just record all settings in a text file. I don't really have a huge amount of them that are non-default on my 1DX. Canon does a pretty good job of setting it up.

That I agree with about the 1Dx and also the 5D3. Out the box my lenses are sharp on these bodies.

Oct 12, 2015 at 12:31 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.