New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · phoenix for a long weekend- ideas

briancphoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · phoenix for a long weekend- ideas

Hello all. I am traveling to Phoenix with the family early in November. We land late Thursday and have all day Friday, Saturday, and have to drop off someone at the airport Sunday afternoon and I have till Monday afternoon free. After doing some research here I have a tentative plan of heading off early Friday and driving straight to the grand canyon. We have never been and want to go, so its worth a couple extra hours in the car to us. We were going to stay at a hotel in the park Friday night. Then head out on Saturday to Sedona and stay there for a night. I was there 20 years ago and remember it being great. After dropping off the family on Sunday I was thinking about trying to head to the superstition Mountains? We are a pretty active and fit family and will want to do as much hiking as we can fit in. Does that sound okay? Any advice on which trails to take or places to photograph would be great. Any hotels near the Superstitions? Thanks for any input

Oct 09, 2015 at 07:19 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · phoenix for a long weekend- ideas

How early in November?

If the timing is right (early Nov might be a week too late. Or not...), the Sedona / Oak Creek area will be ablaze in fall colors. If the colors are anywhere near peak, West Fork Oak Creek will be an utter zoo. If you're up for a (vastly less crowded) moderate hike over a creek bed of boulders, look up nearby Pumphouse Wash.

Monday, consider one of the Pinal Mountan trails near Globe. http://wildinarizona.com/wordpress/?p=441
Again, timing is everything. You might leaf find updates at http://www.fs.fed.us/fallcolors/2015/index.shtml Don't be afraid to call the appropriate NFS regional office and ask.

Madera Canyon, not too far south of Tucson is another possible color hot spot.
From Sky Harbor, you can be there in under 2.5 hours.

Worst case, the Boyce Thompson Arboretum, near Superior, is a fine place to visit.

Oct 10, 2015 at 01:50 AM
KCook0
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · phoenix for a long weekend- ideas

That's a lot of driving! If you want to try features within the Phoenix area, there are a number of possibilities. Linky for another thread -

Phoenix for a weekend

Kelly Cook

Oct 10, 2015 at 02:26 AM
briancphoto
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · phoenix for a long weekend- ideas

Thanks for the replies.We will be there Nov. 5-9th. Thanks for the heads up on the color. I assumed the color would be over by then but I will definitely keep an eye on it. The Pinal mountains look great but quite a bit further than the superstitions....

I know it is a lot of driving. But I have never seen the Grand canyon and it has been on my to do list. I have no idea if I will be in the area again soon so I feel like its worth a couple of extra hours in the car. And it seems like sedona is on the way there. Thanks for the link

Brian

Oct 10, 2015 at 10:13 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.