New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Nikon 24-70 f2.8 experience

Al G

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon 24-70 f2.8 experience

I rented a Nikon 24-70 f2.8 lens a few weeks back for a wedding that I was drafted to do (I am no pro) since I thought I needed a 2,8 lens and did not think my 24-120 lens would do the job with my D600. I first thought I was going to shoot available light but due to low ceiling and lighting the results from the rehersal were not very good (washed out heads) so I ended up using a flash.

Net. It was a joy when I could hold the lens steady. I was not use to the dynamics since I had never done a wedding and been to very many. This was more related to the walk down the aisles.

The lens was sharp, sharp,sharp, It did have some distortion at wider angles that could be easily corrected in LR if you did not tightly frame the subject.

My lessons:
1. Do not crop so closely with shots. Use the full frame resolution to crop later. I was able to crop to 50% and still get clean 8x10s. I messed up some due to cropping and then botched when fixing distortion.,

2. Continue to use AF-ON. It worked better for getting the focus where you wanted it

3. Learn to frame, focus, and shoot with less camera shake

4. The speedlight 800 diffused bounce flash was excellent at times and not so at others. The bounce sometimes washed out foreheads and took time to fix in LR. I had the Fong dome but decided against using it.. I need to study flash more.

5. You cannot easily fix a bad backgrund This was done in a cinder block building with a low suspended fluorescent light ceiling. The background was a mess,

6. When you have multiple photographers, share the time so they are looking at YOUR camera not the other one.

7. Be assertive when taking posed shots.

I already have the kit 24-85 and the 24-120 but really want the VR 24-70.

Oct 09, 2015 at 06:38 PM
truittmedia

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon 24-70 f2.8 experience

As someone who was in your shoes a couple years ago and starting to bootstrap: if you want a 24-70 but are worried about price, try looking for a 28-70 2.8 on the used market. Fantastic glass and you should be able to find one for ~$7-800.

Also, wedding photography is a dance - if there are multiple photographers always try to work as a team, if there is confusion over which camera to look at, usually it means someone should walk away and go find other action. It doesn't matter who's camera captures the photo so long as it is captured and captured well.

Best of luck!

Oct 09, 2015 at 07:29 PM
Tubby
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon 24-70 f2.8 experience

Get in line for that VR 24-70. As I understand there are literally thousands of backorders at B&H and Amazon. You may just have time to save up!

Oct 10, 2015 at 12:04 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.