FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

The San Rafael Swell covers 2000 square miles of buttes, arches, hoodoos and fantastic scenery. We see endless photographs of the icons such as Valley View, Delicate Arch at sunset, the Watchman and the Dead Horse Point. I cannot remember seeing anything from the San Rafael Swell. This would be a great area for any photographer who wants to become famous for finding new iconic locations.

I hope to return but for now I just had a quick first trip on I70. These are basically roadside travel photos which I hope will help to show some of the features. The first is the climb up the swell on I70. Next a pano of some buttes and a hoodoo on the other side.

Oct 09, 2015 at 10:27 AM
stanparker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

I've been going into that area for years, mainly hiking the slot canyons. The area contains many slots, lots of petroglyphs/pictographs and a few arches. Colorful rock formations, too. But, I don't know of anything that would be considered iconic. You're right, it's a great place for photography, but it accessed mainly by canyoneers other locals who like to camp there. I-70 through the Reef was one of the last and most expensive sections of interstate to be completed.

Oct 09, 2015 at 10:42 AM
camboman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

Goblin Valley is in the southern San Rafael Swell, it is for sure iconic!

These are all nice images, I like the third one best for the drama in the sky!

Oct 09, 2015 at 11:15 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

All are nice Jim, 1st and second are favorites. Calf Creek and San Rafael river are part of this, and I have the Alcove on the San Rafael River on my list. Little Grand Canyon is another.

Oct 09, 2015 at 12:58 PM
Ipanematom
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

Nice set! The pano is my favorite.

Oct 09, 2015 at 06:00 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

Hey Jim,

#2 is a nice represenation of that area, the pano works well.

But you are encouraging others to make icons of that area? That doesnt sound like you at all, i thought you were Mr Anti-Icon? And plus, in most cases i would say its not the photographer thst makes a location an icon, in most cases a place becomes an icon because its both beautiful and acccessible. Then photographers go to capture it. I would have to say that in the case of the San Rafael Reef, its not accessible to the general public and its beauty is a kind that few really appreciate.

Jim

Oct 09, 2015 at 11:02 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

Simple roadside travel shots Well done, Jim.

Oct 10, 2015 at 07:13 AM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

I can think of many icons that are remote; eg, the wave. The swell is accessible and transected by I70 less than 2 hours from Moab. The beauty of the area is impressive and not at all esoteric. A landscape photographer could decide to take a break from shooting icons and could come home with spectacular and original images.

JimFox wrote:
Hey Jim,

#2 is a nice represenation of that area, the pano works well.

But you are encouraging others to make icons of that area? That doesnt sound like you at all, i thought you were Mr Anti-Icon? And plus, in most cases i would say its not the photographer thst makes a location an icon, in most cases a place becomes an icon because its both beautiful and acccessible. Then photographers go to capture it. I would have to say that in the case of the San Rafael Reef, its not accessible to the general public and its beauty is a
...Show more

Oct 10, 2015 at 06:18 PM
plateaulight
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

It is a very cool area and some awesome pictographs in the area too.
Nice to see some images from there. It is sort of forgotten these days.

Oct 10, 2015 at 06:38 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

Pl, thanks. Next trip I hope to schedule some time on this area.

Oct 11, 2015 at 01:35 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

I agree, there are tons of unsung spots, even roadside views, that are gorgeous and under-valued as far as "icons" are concerned.

BTW, I think in that last image your HDR function gave you a bit too much grain in some parts of the sky. Might want to re-merge that HDR manually; the transition from smooth clouds to grainy clouds appears quite abrupt in some areas. But overall, gorgeous captures!

=Matt=

Oct 11, 2015 at 02:14 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · San Rafael Swell - An Area for Icons

Jim,

I agree that the area might hold some future icons. Nice roadside photos.

Sasha.

Oct 11, 2015 at 03:30 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.