Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

JMDobson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

Like the title says, I am looking for tips & techniques to improve my soccer photography. I work for a daily newspaper, and I cover a lot of high school and college sports, and soccer seems to be giving me the most trouble at the moment. Any advice on particular parts of the field best for angles? Here is a photo set from the game I shot recently.

Oct 09, 2015 at 07:55 AM
JMDobson
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

more photos

Oct 09, 2015 at 07:56 AM
mikekeating
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

The good news is that there are a lot of us here that shoot soccer .

Best positioning (IMHO) sitting on your butt on either side of the goal about 5-10 feet from the back line and halfway between the goal and the corner. My other favorite position is on the sideline right between the midfield line and the goal . . . I guess this would be the quarterfield line . . .to get the shots of the goalie.

On corners I like to try and get behind the kicker and then shift focus to the scrum in front of the net as the ball starts it's decent.

You got some really good action shots, again IMHO. Is there any more to #2? #9 is great too!

Oct 09, 2015 at 09:31 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

What gear are you using? These seem to be aggressively cropped. By that I mean that the displayed result is a small section of the original. This, along with sharpening, can lead to seeing more grain. I also don't see the exif so I can't comment on settings except to say that a higher shutter speed could probably be used in a few to avoid the blown whites. Are you shooting raw or jpeg? Raw will give you more ability to save highlights and lift shadows but will take more time.

I would like to see an original prior to cropping and post processing with exif. You have a good eye for the moment and these shots are very good. In terms of adding another shooting tip, I like to find an angle toward the scene that will give me a complementary background. Sometimes, busy elements can't be avoided, but I would spend some time at the start looking for spots that would give me good angles. Like the second shot in each of the two sets you shared. Excellent backgrounds for the action.

Oct 09, 2015 at 12:07 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

I think you are doing a decent job. Nice and tight crops.
Misc feedback /tips:
1. when posting here, try to keep the Exif intact
2. when posting here, limit the size of the images to 800-1000 pixels on the long side.
3. when posting here, please number each image so that we can reference it during feedback.
4. I was going to mention the same thing, sit lower, and don't over reach with your lens forcing you to have to do heavy crop to properly frame. Patience will pay off.
5. try not to cut off limbs, and if you do, don't do it at the joint.
6. don't worry so much about processing the noise, most of it is not noticeable especially at web resolution.
7. Generally, you have quite good action that includes the face, ball, and contact. (trifecta)

-Guy

Oct 09, 2015 at 02:51 PM
JMDobson
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

Thanks for the info people. I appreciate the time it takes to look at the photos and respond. I should provide a bit more info. I shoot with a nikon D3S (12MP) and a 400 2.8.
Honestly, grain and noise is not an issue for my publication, because the paper we print on seems to blur it a bit, so you need to overdo the sharpening to compensate. I was looking mostly for critique in shooting styles and positions on the field. All of these photos were taken either kneeling or sitting down. I'll make sure to post smaller samples next time. I believe my next match is tomorrow. Friday night football is here tonight!

Oct 09, 2015 at 03:46 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

James,

Pretty good work here. You've got the essentials nailed, shooting from a low position, balls, faces and peak action. While I'm uncertain what styles you are referring to, given that soccer coverage can be difficult due to the nature of the game, it does require a two body rig. The other with a 70-200. Generally the majority of keepers come from the goal line, as Mike mentioned, where the action comes to you. I do on occasion take a sideline position and can come away with some good results but the percentage is lower due to traffic including the ref . Definitely a tougher position to work from. Is the cropping here driven by the newspaper's space requirements? IMHO (can't believe I'm going to say this) they're constrained slightly more than is usually found elsewhere. JMTC

Matt

Oct 15, 2015 at 07:22 AM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

My preferred shooting position is 5-10 feet behind the goal line between the 18 and the sideline. This allows me to get goalie vs shooter pictures when shots occur within about 20ft of the goal (for the HS schools I shoot this is usually where they come from). Also a good vantage point for corner kicks.

The action, etc. looks good to me in these but at least on my monitor they look oversharpened.

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:46 PM
JMDobson
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

Ok guys, I took some of your positioning advice and applied it to my next game. Tell me what you think! Again, it's going to look a little tight and over-sharpened... That is how it needs to be for the paper's requirements.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:47 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

These are really good to my eyes. Good separation, excellent action moments that are framed close but without feeling cramped, no background distractions. Excellent work!

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:59 AM
bpalermini
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

They all look pretty good to me. I think you could be giving advice on shooting soccer.

I agree with what has been said about positions on the field. I usually spend 20 to 25 minutes on the sideline so I can get the goalie and defensive players then most of the game behind the goal so the team I want is coming at me.

Backgrounds make a huge difference. As has been said finding clean backgrounds makes a huge difference in the end result but your tight crops make that not as important as it is with less tight crops.

Newspaper guys are lucky in that extreme cropping works fine for the intended output so you can cover a lot of the field. I do bring two cameras, one with a 400 and one with a 70-200 but I find that I like the 400mm photos so much more that shooting the 70-200 does not seem very productive sometimes.

I perfer photos when two players are interacting/fighting for the ball. To me it shows the intensity of the game more than the single player shots.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:09 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

On your second to last image, the girl has that ugly skin thing going on with her right upper leg (I don't know what its called-but I get it with girls quite a bit) and I never post those. I think its a bit unflattering to the girls. Otherwise, looking pretty good. The 3rd to last doesn't work for me as too much of the back on the girl in blue shows.

Oct 16, 2015 at 01:04 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Need some critique - How to improve my soccer

Always important to number your photos - just start with the number in the description box. In order of best first, it would be #1,4,5,2,3 IMO.

1 - good action!
2 - pretty mild, which is why I ranked it 4th
3 - similar to Tim, focal point is very small portion of the frame, too much of backs
4 - yup, non-poster due to leg and the fact white jersey player is OOF
5 - good sportrait!

Matt

Oct 16, 2015 at 03:12 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.