New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

The Canon Learning Centre has a number of tutorials on using DPP, all for free.

Cross-posted to the Canon Forum in case some there don't see this on the Post-processing & Printing Forum.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/dlc/search/search.spr?keyword=dpp

Oct 08, 2015 at 12:39 PM
jjoejr
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

Thanx, as I"ve used nothing but DPP all these years as my converter. Very useful information.

Oct 08, 2015 at 06:50 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

Definitely useful information, thanks Tony.

Oct 08, 2015 at 09:37 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

Thanks Tony...I will have a closer look later.

Another (but not free) resource which is very good is Arthur Morris and Arash's DPP 4 guide....
https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=396

I should add the only real value in their guide is the values provided by Arash for different NR settings for each camera at each ISO. Takes a lot of the guesswork out of NR. Otherwise the Canon videos should be good enough for learning the program....

Oct 09, 2015 at 08:02 AM
Vancouver47
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

An excellent DPP guide by Arash Hazeghi. His bird photography speaks to his capability with DPP 4

http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/Guides/AH_guides.html

Oct 10, 2015 at 02:06 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

Vancouver47 wrote:
An excellent DPP guide by Arash Hazeghi. His bird photography speaks to his capability with DPP 4

http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/Guides/AH_guides.html

Already posted right above your post.

All depends if you want to spend $40US for a downloadable PDF, compared to all the other free tutorials on the Web.

Oct 10, 2015 at 09:52 AM
golfnphotog
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

I found the DPP4 to be user friendly (compared to LR). Posted this on the Wildlife forum.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1390450

I know some folks use LR and can get the same result. Still learning!

Oct 10, 2015 at 03:27 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

Thanks! Bookmarked. I'm still using CS6 standalone, but will quite possibly switch to DPP when camera/lens advancements leave it behind.

Oct 10, 2015 at 03:59 PM
Rusty1
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

I have found DPP4 to be a better RAW converter for 7D2 files. I see improvement in both color and noise reduction with the default settings. I then use PS for general processing.

Oct 21, 2015 at 06:00 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

I keep meaning to try out DPP more thoroughly but I'm just so proficient in LR that it is really hard to switch. I own Arash's DPP guide and it is useful for having very specific NR settings for every Canon body at every ISO. Also it shows some useful ways to setup the interface to make it more efficient.

I will be trying out DPP 4 again in the long winter months where I have nothing better to do.....

Oct 21, 2015 at 07:05 PM
Vivek
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

arbitrage wrote:
I keep meaning to try out DPP more thoroughly but I'm just so proficient in LR that it is really hard to switch. I own Arash's DPP guide and it is useful for having very specific NR settings for every Canon body at every ISO. Also it shows some useful ways to setup the interface to make it more efficient.

I will be trying out DPP 4 again in the long winter months where I have nothing better to do.....

Tried the DPP once a while ago when I was on LR4 and all I can say is it was a waste of time primarily because of non-intuitive interface. I love Canon HW but someone should tell them to develop the software interfaces out in the western world :-)

Not going back - LR + PS work very well for me.

Oct 21, 2015 at 07:15 PM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

hotdog12 wrote:
Thanks! Bookmarked. I'm still using CS6 standalone, but will quite possibly switch to DPP when camera/lens advancements leave it behind.

Did you know Adobe has stopped updating ACR for CS6? I think ACR 9.1 is the last one.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:54 AM
ebiggs
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

Vivek wrote:
Tried the DPP once a while ago when I was on LR4 and all I can say is it was a waste of time primarily because of non-intuitive interface. I love Canon HW but someone should tell them to develop the software interfaces out in the western world :-)

Not going back - LR + PS work very well for me.

Me too! I try every new version of DPP and always, so far anyway, go back to LR6 and PS6. It just isn't ready for prime time...yet. But it is getting better.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:57 AM
robbytres

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

I tried to like DPP and for a free program it is ok, but it has a very annoying glitch for me which is that a second or so after making any adjustment, the image goes ever so slightly softer. I thought it was my monitor, but it did the same on a replacement one. I have gone back to using Capture One Pro now, which at first appears to be a bit overwhelming but once configured how you want it is extremely versatile and useful.

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:33 AM
dmahar
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

robbytres wrote:
I tried to like DPP and for a free program it is ok, but it has a very annoying glitch for me which is that a second or so after making any adjustment, the image goes ever so slightly softer. I thought it was my monitor, but it did the same on a replacement one. I have gone back to using Capture One Pro now, which at first appears to be a bit overwhelming but once configured how you want it is extremely versatile and useful.

Yes it does - but this is when the change is being applied - note the spinning icon lower right in the image window.

I for one use DPP exclusively having tried many versions of LR and PS over the years. I must admit that I find DPP - particularly v4 - to be more intuitive than any Adobe product. Further DPP just seems to give better results.

YMMV...

Oct 22, 2015 at 02:59 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

Haven't used DPP4 ... but, when I did use DPP3 it seemed to give better sharpening results than ACR at the time. I've since migrated to developing my own USM approach on layers in CS6.

That said, I still think there is an inherent advantage potential to using OEM on OEM and will give DPP4 a shot when I get my next body ... particularly if it isn't supported by CS6 (directly) and I have to multi-program things anyway to get into layers, masks, etc.

The UI was "okay" in DPP3, but it was pretty lackluster in features. As newer camera models become less supported by CS6 (the "force" to CC), hopefully the advancement of DPP5 will be paradigm. I noticed that some Sony (models / time) are shipping with C1, so maybe between Sony / C1 and Adobe ... Canon will take those as an impetus to change things a bit in DPP5 when we get there.

Oct 22, 2015 at 07:37 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

Yup. Not happy about that, either. But I'm honestly surprised Adobe didn't drop support earlier. ACR covers my newest 11-24 f/4L, though, so I'm a happy camper!

Oct 22, 2015 at 07:55 AM
alvit
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

There is some DAM yet?

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:38 AM
anscochrome
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

DPP is fine IF you are satisfied to have your finished photos appear as Canon engineers think they should appear. For me, I like using various canned presets in Lightroom 2-6x as my starting point. I would bet I could simulate many of the Lightroom presets using the Canon picture style editor, but why bother when these presets exist and work well. I use the X equals Lightroom presets on my files. Plus, I have trained myself to use the sliders et al in Lightroom in an almost automatonic fashion.

Oct 22, 2015 at 01:02 PM
LuckyStrike
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DPP tutorials for Canon users

Good Stuff Tony .... I need to get on that program and stop using this Mac "photo" ... I think it was made for iPhones

Many Thanks

LuckyT

Oct 22, 2015 at 02:26 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.