1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2015 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/50 (and Loxia 2/50) Rolling Impressions

akul
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/50 (and Loxia 2/50) Rolling Impressions

DavidBM wrote:
Only that you might want also to do a series at 10 metres, 5 metres and 2 metres: field curvature can vary at a lot at different focussing distances.

Or one can buy / rent and do all what one wants all by one's self ?

Nov 19, 2015 at 07:27 PM
DavidBM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/50 (and Loxia 2/50) Rolling Impressions

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Sounds like a lot of work and I am still not sure how to do it exactly. It would help a lot to see it done in someones review. i have heard that Lloyd Chambers analyzes field curvature but his reviews are behind a paywall.

HI Philip

Wasn't saying you *ought* to do it - it certainly is a lot of work.
But results at infinity will only be valid for infinity; if that's all you care about that's all you need.

Yes Chambers does (I have paid from time to time) but not by any systematic method, rather by taking and analysing lot so of 3d pictures.

One thing I've tried is to find an open field of grass, and setting the camera up pointing down at and angle so that the centre focussing point hits the grass, and take a series of images at progressively closer distances.

In theory this will give a plane of focus that interests the glass at an angle.

If at that distance the field is flat, then the areas on the extreme left centre and right centre of the image will be sharp; if the plane curves forward then you should see the sharest peripheral areas lower in the frame than the centre (and higher in the frame in the less usual case where it curves back.

I find most modern wide angle lenses I've tested this way have massed of forward curvature in their fields at very close distances, but get progressively flatter further away.

Sorry I don't have any images -- I tend not to hang on to endless test shots that I really only use to evaluate whether to keep a lens, or give me a sense of how to use it.

Nov 19, 2015 at 11:48 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/50 (and Loxia 2/50) Rolling Impressions

craigjohn wrote:
Have you tried the Zeiss 50mm f/2 ZM or the Leica 50 Lux ASPH M or 50 Cron M on the Sony A7? I nabbed a used 50 Lux ASPH M and I love both the size and performance on the a7II. I wouldn't say it's a perfect 50 from edge to edge wide open, certainly not in the extreme corners. But... it's tack sharp in the center of the frame with gorgeous bokeh - I love the rendering, as it's loaded with character. For me, it's the perfect 50. especially size wise.

I have my reservations about the Lux. I own one as well and find it falls behind the 55 in several areas. It's a great lens on the MP but different on the A7II. I even wrote a blur about it here http://jorgetorralba.com/2015/11/01/sonylux-a-quick-overview-of-the-a7ii-and-leica-summilux-50/

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:01 AM
craigjohn
• •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · Zeiss Milvus 1.4/50 (and Loxia 2/50) Rolling Impressions

Jorge Torralba wrote:
I have my reservations about the Lux. I own one as well and find it falls behind the 55 in several areas. It's a great lens on the MP but different on the A7II. I even wrote a blur about it here http://jorgetorralba.com/2015/11/01/sonylux-a-quick-overview-of-the-a7ii-and-leica-summilux-50/

Nice little read, thanks for sharing.

I rented the 55/1.8 with the A7II to verify if I wanted to jump into the Sony system. Yup. I liked the 55/1.8 well enough - it's better than any Nikon 50 available, and I prefer it's smaller size than the hefty Sigma 50 Art. Really, it's almost a perfect 50mm.

When you talk about the Leica Lux, I agree about the weirdly kinda of dry focus ring, but it's also weirdly smooth and seems to 'lock?' into place. Not sure how to really explain it. After using this lens quite a bit for the past two months, I don't even notice it.

When the lens is wide open, the diaphragm is perfectly circular. Stop it down to f/2, it's roundy diaphragm gets a little wonky, but still renders beautifully.

The native focus distance of .7m is rather close compared to other 50's. The focusing isn't macro close, but get the Voightlander close focus adapter, and it's crazy awesome. ...feels much more like a macro than I ever expected - though not a true macro.

While the contrast may not be as punchy as the Zeiss 55/1.8, there seems to be a field curvature that makes the images pop in a wonderful way.

I could use this lens for events, street, landscape, portraits, and food photography.

Really, if you don't like the close-up nature of the lens, and want to get closer, get the Voightlander close focus adapter. It makes a world of difference. Just for giggles I popped these little halloween characters with the close-up adapter.

If you're looking for edge to edge sharpness, a bit more contrast pop, and smaller more compact design than the 50 Milvus or the 55 Otus, the Zeiss 55/1.8 is your best bet. If you want a macro, the Zeiss 50 Macro Planar would certainly be a less expensive option with a 1:2 magnification.

If I didn't want the smaller more compact size of the 50 Lux, I'd get the 50 Milvus. Seems to be a fabulous 50/1.4 (a baby Otus?).

I love that there are so many fabulous 50mm options in size and character that work with the Sony - it's not tough to find one that'll work for you. It's one of the reasons, I prefer my Sony a7II over my D750.

© craigjohn 2015

Sony a7II + Leica 50 Summilux ASPH @ f/1.4 + Voightlander close focus adapter

© craigjohn 2015

Sony a7II + Leica 50 Summilux ASPH @ f/1.4 + Voightlander close focus adapter

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM
       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.