Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · HS Volleyball

jcnemy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · HS Volleyball

Finally had some time to get out and try Varsity Volleyball and what a fun, challenge!

Thanks to reading many volleyball threads on this forum...I had a good idea what to expect and how to get some initial success...which was this case for this first outing. Thanks to all who share their knowledge and wisdom and to Jay a.k.a. rolette for consolidating within this post:

volleyball Tips

Tech notes:

- went in with one body and two lenses....70-200 and the 300. 300 was nice for those tight, net level, across court shots but very hard to follow the ball. Also - tended to focus on the near players or the net versus the far-side players. I tried manual zone focusing with some success. I wish I had the 24-70 for certain positions I was allowed to get to as well as my 14mm to capture the full gym.

- timing is a challenge....mostly I was off my milliseconds so anticipation and following the action is a work in progress.

- first thing I did was get a custom WB and luckily our gym is light gray...so I had a consistent WB which made post soooooo much easier! Plus - my exposure was shot manually and was pretty much uniformed from court to court.

Do still need to find a nice NR setting within LR for these shots....so something I'll be working on.

Will continue to work it and work the preferred spots to ensure an even coverage of all players.

Thanks for looking,

JC

Edited on Oct 08, 2015 at 07:05 AM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2015 at 06:31 AM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · HS Volleyball

6-10

Thanks again for looking!

JC

Oct 08, 2015 at 06:32 AM
rolette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · HS Volleyball

First time shooting VB and trying out the 300 even... Coming out strong!

#3 is my pick of the set. A little CC for next time:

- White balance is spot on. Enjoy that home gym all you can because WB is usually the bane of my existence

- On a couple of these, focus is on the wrong player. On #5 and #7, the focus is on the blockers, but you don't have their faces so I assume the hitter is the subject.

- Watch out for facial expressions. Paul mentions this periodically, especially when shooting women's sports. In some cases, you don't get much choice because certain players just always make "the face" when they hit and, if you want to get shots of them, you go with what you have.

If you know the personality of the players, it can give you more leeway. For example, I really like #1 but I can see where that could go either way. It all depends on how serious they take themselves.

Just something to keep in mind as you are making your picks on what to publish. Nothing you can do about it when shooting of course.

Are you going to be shooting VB regularly now or was this just a one-off? I'm missing shooting VB, so always glad to live vicariously through you guys now

Jay

Oct 08, 2015 at 09:05 AM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · HS Volleyball

Jay - thanks for looking and taking the time to provide some solid feedback!

I was having a hard time getting into a rhythm regarding adjusting my focus points to ensure I was getting correct focus on the correct player. As you know...a lot of movement and other things to wreck havoc on autofocus systems. As I did mention...I tried manual and zone focus and provided mixed results. I tried elevating my point above the net...but usually it was to slow to lock. Will still work it to find a workable technique. Need to go back and review your consolidated posts because I'm sure it's addressed there.

Thanks for mentioning about concerns of women subjects...I forgot to mention that and I've read those posts concerning the subject. With that - before posting and sharing...I did consult with a player who is a friend of the families and had her and the parents review for aesthetics and to ensure all were in good taste and would not be perceived as 'unflattering'. Feedback they provided was all positive and they actually there favorite shots were the intense facial expressions. I then expanded my review pool and all was well...so published they went.

It's great advice and insight such as Jay's and others that make this community awesome.

Thanks again!

JC

P.S. I plan on shooting a match tonight and hopefully a couple more before the season ends. I enjoyed covering this sport and looking forward tonight.

Oct 08, 2015 at 06:15 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · HS Volleyball

one tip, focus on their legs below the net (and hope they don't move much)
With the 300 F2.8 at 70 ft you only get about 3 ft of focus, not much leeway there.
Anticipation is what I am still working on as I'm a slow old man.

Oct 08, 2015 at 06:37 PM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · HS Volleyball

@kenneth - thanks for the pointer. I tried it tonight and kept getting trumped by opposing players on the near side....will keep trying.

I'll be downloading here shortly and hopefully have some worthy of posting. It was a short meet tonight...home team won 3 to 0...so narrows the window of keepers.

Thanks again.

JC

Oct 08, 2015 at 09:25 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · HS Volleyball

I love #4 not the best cropping because of the feet technically but captures the excitement. My daughter is playing JV high school this year so I have enjoyed trying to capture some of this. She is an outside hitter so lots of fun to capture a series from the set thru jump, hit and block.

I need to work on my white balance settings, yours looks great.

Thanks for posting.

Oct 11, 2015 at 09:00 AM
Brev00
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · HS Volleyball

I actually like #5 the best in this set. I rarely see the follow through of a spike so clear and dramatic. The lack of focus on her does not bother me because I like the excellent focus on the blockers' hands (almost frog like--in a good way) and the full extension and angles of their arms. Perfect moment.

Oct 11, 2015 at 09:23 AM
newphotmano
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · HS Volleyball

Nice shots and putting that d3s to work 6400 iso is still great out of that sensor!!

Oct 12, 2015 at 04:13 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.