New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

benjikan
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

Just wanted to share this 12 page Special Bridal story for Harper’s BAZAAR October 2015 issue. Shot with the Nikon AFD 180mm lens all wide open at f/2.8 and the 85G f/1.8 wide open as well.

Athena Wilson from Premier Models London was the model.

Hope you enjoy the story and the video.

http://benjaminkanarekblog.com/iye6

Best Wishes

Ben

Oct 08, 2015 at 03:17 AM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

That is not a very good shot....

Oct 08, 2015 at 05:30 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

JHerr wrote:
That is not a very good shot....

OK, why not? Her face looks soft? It's shot through a veil...... Everything else in the focal plane looks sharp.

Oct 08, 2015 at 05:48 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

I checked out the images on his blog. Lovely work with a beautiful model. I like the Louis Vuitton shot.

Oct 08, 2015 at 06:13 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

gfinlayson wrote:
OK, why not? Her face looks soft? It's shot through a veil...... Everything else in the focal plane looks sharp.

Framing, composition, conflicting background elements. The pose and the action are good, but the expression on her face seems off to me, like it wouldn't be the peak action for this type of shot. The shot also feels different from all of the other shots in the blog - like it would be a b-roll action shot chosen for the "moment" instead of the quality of the shot while the others are all well crafted editorials that fit both my style and quality expectations of something from this level of publication.

I understand that some of those things he has no control over, but I still feel that this is by far the weakest shot presented and isn't a good choice to be the lead image.

Oct 08, 2015 at 06:51 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

JHerr wrote:
Framing, composition, conflicting background elements. The pose and the action are good, but the expression on her face seems off to me, like it wouldn't be the peak action for this type of shot. The shot also feels different from all of the other shots in the blog - like it would be a b-roll action shot chosen for the "moment" instead of the quality of the shot while the others are all well crafted editorials that fit both my style and quality expectations of something from this level of publication.

I understand that some of those things he has
...Show more

+1. The dude's butt in the background is distracting.

Oct 08, 2015 at 06:59 PM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

Nothing wrong with the model at all, however the BG elements are distracting, the guy on the right, the girl's head appearing out of the model's shoulder, the bright red car brake light on the right (which could still be made less vibrant in PP) and the dog OOF is also distracting/frustrating.
Would a two shot blend of the model + dog have worked better ? Impossible to say now but waiting for a moment with more depth from model to passersby would have resulted in a less distracting BG.

I agree the other shots on the blog are superb and this may indeed be one of the weakest.

Oct 08, 2015 at 09:53 PM
Ryder
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

One should follow the basic rules always! None of this irony, juxtaposition or incongruity. Too dissettling. Thank God you didn't use any of those hard shadows this time.

Oct 08, 2015 at 11:35 PM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

Ryder wrote:
One should follow the basic rules always! None of this irony, juxtaposition or incongruity. Too dissettling. Thank God you didn't use any of those hard shadows this time.

Yes because I am sure that the juxtaposition of a portion of that ladies head and that guys ass were done on purpose to create an ironical effect between a lovely skipping bride on her wedding day and the ever present dreariness of the daily struggle of the working class and also to create a sort of "uneasiness" in the eye of the viewer. I am sure that was the intent for this photo!

This isn't ART 101.

If you are going to break the rules then you need to break them well and with purpose. The artist here is very good at breaking the rules - but this time he didn't quite hit the mark with this photo while doing it perfectly with almost every other photo in the set. That is why I feel that it is not up to par either for its technical short comings or it's context within the rest of the shots presented.

Oct 09, 2015 at 02:21 AM
Ryder
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

Apparently the layout editor(s) at BAZAAR disagree (silly them.) I'm sure we all have to deal with that all the time and, frankly, it gets so tiring. Ben clearly should have put his foot down and told them a thing or two about their business! You can find their mug shots here I guess:

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-week/g1027/bazaar-editors-nyfw-0216/?slide=2

Look at the lot standing pigeon toed next to crooked, blown out pictures, graffiti laden dumpsters, dirty streets, white semi tractors. Good grief!! Clearly these people are imposters. What kind of fashion coup d taste brought these misfits to Harper's? Ben, my heart goes out to you for having to deal with it on a daily basis!

Oct 09, 2015 at 07:56 AM
JHerr
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

Ryder wrote:
Apparently the layout editor(s) at BAZAAR disagree (silly them.) I'm sure we all have to deal with that all the time and, frankly, it gets so tiring. Ben clearly should have put his foot down and told them a thing or two about their business! You can find their mug shots here I guess:

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/fashion/fashion-week/g1027/bazaar-editors-nyfw-0216/?slide=2

Look at the lot standing pigeon toed next to crooked, blown out pictures, graffiti laden dumpsters, dirty streets, white semi tractors. Good grief!! Clearly these people are imposters. What kind of fashion coup d taste brought these misfits to Harper's? Ben, my heart goes out to you
...Show more

Are you done?

Oct 09, 2015 at 10:01 AM
Ryder
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

Yes, other than it's obviously all tongue in cheek. I love the editors' photos of themselves. For all the high fashion they haven't lost their sense of humor and playfullness, and don't take themselves so so seriously. I like the cover photo for the same reason. The guy's butt makes the photo IMHumbleO. You have to think beyond photography to ever come to terms with it, butt that's another thread. And of course I think Ben is fortunate to work with them. That is something he has obviously earned. I might have had her walking an alligator or a chimp.

Oct 09, 2015 at 11:03 AM
NYCPhotog
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Special Bridal Story for Harper’s BAZAAR Nikon & AFD 180mm lens

I wouldn't have noticed the guy in the background unless someone pointed it out. The stark contrast of white on a dark background focused all of my attention on the model. Even the dog was an afterthought to look at.

Oct 09, 2015 at 11:34 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.