New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · D810 or D750

Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D810 or D750

So,

I am having a hard time selling the D810 and I have had a few offers for trade on a D750. My original complain is lack of EVF on D810. However the D750 has an articulating screen which may be more helpful than that on the D810. Having said that, I could go either way if I cannot unload the D810 and go back to the Sony which would be the better choice. 24 MP is enough for me so that not an issue. I have read pros and cons about them but would like to read what real users have to say.

Thanks

Oct 07, 2015 at 06:58 PM
Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D810 or D750

It comes down to (1) what you photo (2) what lenses you have. Do you almost always use a tripod? Do you have top quality recent lenses? Do you often make enlargements bigger than 8x10? D8xx would work for you. Do you rarely use a tripod? Prefer something medium sized/weight? Have a few lenses that might not be so hot on a 36mp sensor and don't have $$ to replace them? D750 starts to make sense.

Kent in SD

Oct 07, 2015 at 08:44 PM
2of9
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D810 or D750

110% agree with what Two23 said.

I have the D750. The D750's articulating screen is really nice. I also really liked the D810 in my hands. It was a slight learning curve for me to re-learn the ISO/WB/QUAL buttons on the D750 because I was coming from the D700, that's my only small concern.

In my experience:
D750 w/Portraits; using the 70-200, it feels 'unbalanced'. the AF is amazing
D750 wedding: 2 slot memory cards is really nice. Goes through battery pretty quickly though. faster than i thought it would. just did a 'small' wedding anniversary this past weekend for about 10 hours, close to 700 images i think, and the battery was at 20%. overall, i wasnt afraid to use 6400iso as well.
D750 travel; really great actually. it's small enough to lug it around from place to place. it's light too! I imagine the D810 might be a little big.

that's my experience with the D750... so far, owning it since March, it's never given up on me. never had an issue with it. 24mp is no issue. i was totally fine with 12mp from the D700.....i miss the D700.

Oct 08, 2015 at 09:53 AM
Driveitputtit
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D810 or D750

Has it really gotten that bad? It's hard for me to understand how selling a reasonably priced D810 can be so difficult given how phenomenal a camera it is. All the competition and users switching over to mirrorless, etc. must be having a bigger impact on resale than I imagined. My setup has been more or less set for a couple years now, so I don't pay much attention to the used market. But for those out there, like myself, that are perfectly content with the handling of the aging DSLR, sounds like there should continue to be some amazing deals on used gear.

Sorry to distract Jorge, but thank you for starting the thread. I shoot with a D810 + D4, but have some interest in hearing people chime in about the D750. The articulating screen is a primary interest I have, but I'd also like to hear what else people have to say about it.

Oct 08, 2015 at 10:17 AM
Ray S.
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D810 or D750

If you crave the EVF and flip-screen performance of a mirrorless camera, the D750 isn't gonna do it for you. Live view on Nikon DSLRs is slow enough that for me it's pretty much a "tripod only" type of shooting. If you prefer the EVF live view experience of a mirrorless camera, the D750 isn't gonna make you much, if any, happier than the D810. I personally am equally happy with a good mirrorless live view setup or an OVF DSLR setup - they're really different to shoot with but I love 'em both. But if you have a strong preference for one or the other, you should go in that direction. Because the Nikon DSLRs are a really poor substitute for a good live view EVF/flip screen camera and any of those, so far, are a pretty poor substitute for an through the lens OVF camera...

-Ray

Oct 08, 2015 at 10:25 AM
slrl0ver
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D810 or D750

Hi Jorge,

In practice both take amazing images, the AF on the D750 is on par with the D810 so the day-to-day aspects are pretty similar. If you really crave a EVF/mirrorless, perhaps a dual-approach with a D750 and a second mirrorless might be up your alley. Going forward for myself, I think that's the approach I will be taking, a u4/3 for travel and a dSLR for around town and "studio" type work. In this day and age, we have a lot of great options!

Hauling a 5DMK2 around Europe for a few weeks and on a ski slope taught me that I end up spending more time worrying about something bad will happen to my expensive equipment than I do actually taking pictures. The day I took a P&S on the ski slopes is the day I had the largest number of pictures! A recently conversation with a friend who visited Iceland with his D800 revealed the same experience.

There have been several threads somewhat recently on D750 vs. D810 as well. You might want to also look at those threads since several people have already commented on the differences. These came up without much searching:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1381393/0
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1363112/0?keyword=D810#12994800
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1375232/0?keyword=D810#13099437
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1361845/0?keyword=D810#12983403
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1360309/0?keyword=D810#12969810

On paper (as you might already know), some of the key differences are shutter speed, electronic first curtain shutter, size/ergonomics, the viewfinder shutter, high ISO performance, articulating screens and different concepts for custom modes (U1, U2, etc).

- slrl0ver

Oct 08, 2015 at 02:59 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D810 or D750

Thanks for the feedback. For the time being it will have to be the d810 until it sells. I really like the deeper grip of the 750. It feels more comfortable. My original intentions were for wild life I would use the Nikon. However after putting the 300 f4 on the a7ii and seeing how easy it focused I have my doubts now about even needing the Nikon body. But if it does not sell I may trade it for a 750 and some cash.

300 F4 on A7II

http://www.nikonimages.com/gallery/4/U4I1444182332.SEQ.2.jpg

Oct 08, 2015 at 04:06 PM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D810 or D750

I have both cameras and if I was to sell one it would be the D750 without a doubt. There are two advantages with the D750 - it uses SD cards in both slots and it has a tilting rear display with large type face.

The D810 in 1.2x mode provides the same image area as the D750 and the same fps rate, so I have this option. Like the D750 it has a normal ISO range up to 12,800. Like the D750 it has group autofocus to reduce the amount of backfocus shots that is a problem with Nikon cameras going back to the D3.

I favor the D810 for the higher IQ and greater resolution and the rear display that can be used to show focus near and far when using a tilt shift lens. These are primary reasons I sold my D800e and bought the D810. The much quieter shutter is also a big deal when photographing wildlife or weddings.

There is also no comparison in controls and handling with the two cameras. The D810 is a small step down from the D4s but the D750 is for the most part a FX version of the $1200 D7200 and overpriced for what is delivered.

Oct 08, 2015 at 07:54 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D810 or D750

another advantage with the D750 - less wt. to carry around

do any of those 3 matter to you? will they matter in the next few years?

if you wait a while, Nikon is bound to respond to the recent salvos in the Mpix wars

Oct 08, 2015 at 08:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.