FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

Vcize
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

A few weeks back I posted some questions ahead of my first wildlife shoot here. I got some great advice, and wanted to share what I was able to put it towards!

I didn't have the best luck with critters coming out to play but I didn't get skunked either. I saw one Grizzly but he spent most of the time buried down in tall grass. I included the shot of him looking up anyhow just for fun.

There was a big wildfire right outside of Hayden Valley which filled the valley with smoke. It made distance shooting a no-go but, on the bright side, cast some really nice warm light on the animals that were near the road when the sun started getting low.

Oct 07, 2015 at 05:24 PM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

Yellowstone has great potential but it's not an automatic if you want that special shot. My approach has been the same as in my back yard, target the shot I've imagined and hunker down and wait.

Oct 07, 2015 at 06:14 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

psharvic wrote:
Yellowstone has great potential but it's not an automatic if you want that special shot. My approach has been the same as in my back yard, target the shot I've imagined and hunker down and wait.

+1

Oct 07, 2015 at 07:05 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

Nice location for a start. Welcome back and I hope to see more.

Oct 07, 2015 at 07:08 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

Glad you had a rewarding trip to Yellowstone
You can post your images larger here too

I really like what you did in your composition on #2, that is a lovely image of wildlife and beautiful scenery too!
#4 sweeet
Last image works for me nicely, layers of grasses, a nice background and a peak at a nice subject. Only thought on this one would be to move subject from being centered perhaps?

Karl

Oct 07, 2015 at 07:25 PM
harland
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

#4 is really nice. I have that same shot of the grizzly, we must have been standing close to each other!
Darryl

Oct 07, 2015 at 09:41 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

You have some nice shots. Sharp, good lighting, great exposure. I'd be pleased.
What keeps us going back is wanting those shots where everything meets up perfectly, and enjoying everything in general of course.

David

Oct 07, 2015 at 10:21 PM
Vcize
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

You can post your images larger here too

I tried but I kept bumping into the 750kb file size limit. Even at 800px on the long edge with 90% quality on export some of the photos were exceeding it.

I really like what you did in your composition on #2, that is a lovely image of wildlife and beautiful scenery too!
#4 sweeet

Thanks!!

Last image works for me nicely, layers of grasses, a nice background and a peak at a nice subject. Only thought on this one would be to move subject from being centered perhaps?

Yeah I played around with the cropping, mainly trying to move the bear off-center. I just liked it more personally with him centered though. For whatever reason it was just more appealing to my eyes.

Thank you for the feedback!

Oct 08, 2015 at 02:31 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

3 and 4 are my picks. You are off to a good start

Morris

Oct 08, 2015 at 05:41 PM
Vcize
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

harland wrote:
#4 is really nice. I have that same shot of the grizzly, we must have been standing close to each other!
Darryl

Nice!

Were you one of the guys out there with the massive 600mm primes? Made my Tamron 150-600 look manageable by comparison!

Oct 09, 2015 at 01:53 PM
Michael Rucci
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

I agree with Karl post bigger i go at 1000 on the long side .I would love that bison head shot if we saw more of its head the last shot is my pick here well done welcome and keep"um" coming

Oct 09, 2015 at 07:41 PM
Vcize
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yellowstone and my first time shooting wildlife

Michael Rucci wrote:
I agree with Karl post bigger i go at 1000 on the long side .I would love that bison head shot if we saw more of its head the last shot is my pick here well done welcome and keep"um" coming

Thanks!

When I exported them at 1000 on the longest side they exceeded FM's size limit. What JPG quality do you export them as? When I did 800 on the longest side and 90% jpg quality several of them still exceeded the 750kb limit.

Oct 09, 2015 at 07:50 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.