Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

I had a venue contact me about using an image for an advertisement and I was hoping for some thoughts/feedback about what kind of rate you might consider for their usage. I haven't really encountered this before as I've mostly just given out images for social media use only but haven't had requests for other purposes.

Here's their message:

"Subject: Kxxxx/Hxxx Wedding August xx, 2015

Hello Ben,
NIEC is planning to do a 15 second, 32 word \"voice over\", w/3 slide commercial to be aired at Cinema West Theater locally. We would like to feature one of the photos from Axxxx and Kxxx's wedding for a slide. Happy to give you credit in the slide. Would you be willing to allow us to use one? Please contact me at xxx-xxx-xxxx at your earliest convenience. We need to create the spot for airing by October 30, so time crunch to decide images we might use. Thanks in advance for the wonderful job you did during that event and for tagging us in all of your shares.

Take care,
Xxxx Xxxxxx"

Their wording I think implies they'd like the images for free. FYI, this is an events center on a fairground in a rural Iowa city of <30k people.

Thoughts??

Oct 06, 2015 at 10:15 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

Good evening, Ben.

There's unlikely any meaningful budget. If you press the matter of financial compensation even if they agree I'm guessing you're only looking at a couple hundred dollars or so... hardly worth your time.

In situations like this I'd be far more interested in the "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" approach.

What do they have that you want?

Regards,

Chuck

Oct 06, 2015 at 10:33 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

nolaguy wrote:
Good evening, Ben.

There's unlikely any meaningful budget. If you press the matter of financial compensation even if they agree I'm guessing you're only looking at a couple hundred dollars or so... hardly worth your time.

In situations like this I'd be far more interested in the "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" approach.

What do they have that you want?

Regards,

Chuck

You're probably right about that. What do they have that I want? Good question. They have some enormous steel buildings and a race track two hours away from me.... Hmmmm

Oct 06, 2015 at 10:40 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

lol... sounds like a plan.

1. Are they a venue you'd like to shoot regularly? Can you leverage it to be placed on a preferred vendor list, etc?

2. Conversely, is this a contact you don't want to irritate?

If no to both, tell them, $1,200... usage limited to a hundred mile radius of their targeted location, 6 months of usage, with you fully credited (with point size agreed upon)... then after haggling agree upon $700... simply because you're such a good guy. But make them give something for that $500 break, etc. Again, what's easy for them to give?... even if it's just featuring your images on the walls of their venue, etc.

There are many online calculators for this sort of thing but when the rubber meets the road they're no doubt inflated by a 2x or 3x margin.

If yes to 1 or 2 above, give them rights with your compliments, the only stipulations being the point size of your credit (it needs to be relative to the image size, not an absolute point specification) and the duration of the advertising run. As noted, limit the geographic range. Make certain there is no exclusivity promised unless they pay you well. Don't agree to more than 6 months. If the ad takes off and works well for them you'll want to be able to renegotiate.

I wouldn't hesitate to let them know that up front. They may choose another photographer because of that - but screw 'em if they do. Advising them of the limitations of the agreement is not only honorable but it improves your comfort level in reopening negotiations if they wish to continue enjoying the fruits of your labors and talent.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Regards,

Chuck

Oct 06, 2015 at 11:01 PM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

I believe the wording implies they want to pay you in "exposure". That's up to you to decide if it's worth it. Being as that it's such a small town, it might not be a bad deal, IMO. It's free advertising.

Oct 06, 2015 at 11:22 PM
hendrikm
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

15 seconds and three slides plus some fancy text with the venues name? Nobody will read the credit line...

Do they also have a restaurant? Barter for some dinner vouchers and have a nice evening at their expenses.

Oct 07, 2015 at 05:00 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

MattGruber wrote:
I believe the wording implies they want to pay you in "exposure". That's up to you to decide if it's worth it. Being as that it's such a small town, it might not be a bad deal, IMO. It's free advertising.

That's kind of how I am thinking now. I work all over the state and some of the rural communities are less saturated with photographers doing weddings with a focus on PJ & creative portraiture, so maybe it will have some benefit. In some ways I really want to reward the venue for doing the right thing and coming to me about it instead of just yanking something from the internet without asking. They are trying to promote their venue for weddings more and don't seem to have a ton of experience with the promotion end of things.

Oct 07, 2015 at 03:35 PM
MattGruber
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

BSPhotog wrote:
That's kind of how I am thinking now. I work all over the state and some of the rural communities are less saturated with photographers doing weddings with a focus on PJ & creative portraiture, so maybe it will have some benefit. In some ways I really want to reward the venue for doing the right thing and coming to me about it instead of just yanking something from the internet without asking. They are trying to promote their venue for weddings more and don't seem to have a ton of experience with the promotion end of things.

It's easy to sit here and say "Tell them not unless they pay xxx amount of dollars.", but if I were in your shoes I would probably just let them use it with credit & watermark. Unless it's some world class venue that takes in cash, they probably won't pay. Even if you get a few leads off it, it's worth it.

Oct 07, 2015 at 03:44 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

Personaly, I wouldn't give two figs about the credit line. Its not where the ROI in this deal is. I agree with what has been said that no one will read the credit line but more so, no one will ACT on it if they do.

In a way a credit line seems a bit ironic. If the viewer of the ad is taking any notice of the credit line, it means the message of the venue is being lost or ignored in the first place.

What a credit line supposes is that out of all the pics a potential client is exposed to, they are going to see that one flash up on the screen and be so taken by it they are then going to look you up to book you.
Don't Think so .......

Myself, (and we know how left of field I am,) I'd be going for something that is more likely to get my name in front of people when it counts...whether they saw the ad or not. I would be trying to negotiate that my Brochure/ advertising material was in all info sent or given out to people inquiring about the facilities there. Perhaps corporate and organizations booking Christmas parties as well if you do them.

I would want to be on their list of preferred suppliers or get some mention with my contact details on their info that they send or hand out and / or have my business cards given out to all wedding inquiries. Do they have a website? I'd want to be there as well!

For mine, the credit on the ad is basically useless. What I would want to do is get my name AND details in front of them in a tangible form when they are at the decision making point. I would also want to have my name given out to ALL the clients of the venue for 6 or 12 months. I'd go for 12. If they like your work so much surely they will be happy to recommend you for that long.

I would also "Help " them out with a 20x30" or bigger framed copy of the pic they use to hang in the office or Foyer to assist them with brand recognition of their venue. People can see the picture and remember they saw it on TV and this is the place where it was taken....

To me the credit is useless. Ad might only run 10 times and by the time people get to looking for a shooter, they won't remember you and if they do, chances of them searching for you are minimal. OTOH, If every potential client gets your brochure or card with the venues info or you are mentioned as their preferred shooter on a list with your details, Then you have a very real and worthwhile chance of them contacting you.

Other thing I have got from places like this is a list of the contact details of the people booked from now on so I could mail them direct. Don't know how that would go in every place but sure was a winner for me to be able to do some direct mail.

That would be far better to me than a credit no one will really see of act on.

Oct 07, 2015 at 04:53 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

glort wrote:
...and we know how left of field I am...

Glort, you're not just left of field, you're on a whole other field. Your field just often makes so much more sense.

I'm beginning the foreword to the book.

Oct 07, 2015 at 07:29 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Image use rate for vendor ad? (I have no idea)

Glort,

I think the biggest benefit right now is that the lady running this place seems to really like me. I'm being a sweetheart (as I always try to be) as I feel that my relationships with vendors is a really strong form of positive PR. Word of mouth from clients is one thing, but word of mouth from other vendors is just another angle of exposure.

As far as ROI, I have essentially no "I" in that. I don't have to do much of anything, so that part is good. I'm going on their preferred vendor list already, so that one is in the bag. I appreciate the input!

Oct 07, 2015 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.