New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Sunset at Huntington Beach Pier Yesterday

matthewsaville
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunset at Huntington Beach Pier Yesterday

Yesterday's sunset was quite phenomenal in Orange County, did anybody else here in suburbia happen to catch it? I barely made it home from work in time to hit the beach as the sun was dropping below a cloud bank.

I filmed some 4K video of the sunset as well on my new Sony RX10 mk2, very gorgeous results! I'll share more when I can.

Nikon D750, Nikon 24-120mm f/4 VR, f/11, ISO 100, 1/40 sec & 1/640 sec.

This image is a blend of two exposures using both luminosity masking and the "Blend-If" technique. (The sun cooperated quite nicely, within sRGB even, but the waves created all sorts of weird halos and had to be manually tweaked.) Enjoy!

Oct 06, 2015 at 04:24 PM
Game Changer
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunset at Huntington Beach Pier Yesterday

I'd remove the green in the middle of the image, unless it's a florescent jelly fish.

Oct 08, 2015 at 06:55 AM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunset at Huntington Beach Pier Yesterday

Game Changer wrote:
I'd remove the green in the middle of the image, unless it's a florescent jelly fish.

Yes, good idea. Sometimes I leave things in, when I'm feeling more documentary, and sometimes I'll remove stuff, if I'm just thinking about a portfolio shot / fine art. This is definitely the latter. ;-)

Oct 08, 2015 at 05:38 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunset at Huntington Beach Pier Yesterday

Here's another shot from a few minutes later. It was one spectacular sunset!

Shooting with the Sony RX10 mkII for run-and-gun quick local adventures has been a delight. I can highly recommend it for walk-around shooting, especially if you're a pro who is used to having incredible sharpness at your disposal from 24-200mm. ;-) As a huge bonus, the fact that it is NOT an ILC offers one "feature" that I only thought about just now: no day-to-day worries of sensor dust! :-)

RX10 mkII, ~30mm equivalent, f/8 & ISO 100, bracketed exposures from 1/25 sec to 0.6 sec, processed using Lightroom CC's DNG HDR feature with zero de-ghosting applied. (The de-ghosting feature is basically un-usable for waves at these shutter speeds, FYI!)

Oct 09, 2015 at 04:43 PM
matthewsaville
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunset at Huntington Beach Pier Yesterday

I uploaded the 4K footage (I guess SmugMug scales it down to 1080 though) of this sunset to my gallery, if anybody is interested:

http://photos.matthewsaville.com/New-Images/i-MvWZjp7

Oct 12, 2015 at 04:40 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.