New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2015 · landscape gear

bradf35
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · landscape gear

If you were starting over today, what landscape gear would you buy? I've been shooting with an original 5D and old Tamron lens for way too long now, and I've decided to upgrade. I've been saving money for 5 years with the idea of upgrading, but have never pulled the trigger. What landscape gear do you have that you can't live without, or what would you buy today? I've saved up a rather large budget, so I'm thinking about new gear plus a trip somewhere.

Also, I'll be donating my old 5d to someone that needs a camera. I've asked at my local camera club and no one has any ideas. It has some issues, but as long as the shutter speed is below about 4 seconds it works great. I'd love to give it to a kid looking to get into FF or something. If anyone knows someone in need, shoot me a pm. I'll pay shipping and everything.

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:06 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · landscape gear

You don't indicate a budget. What are you seeking?

Without a budget, I'd buy one of everything Canon makes and then some more stuff like a 5x7 field camera with front and back movements. Without a budget I'd buy the services of two field assistants and a camp cook / tent pitcher for years.

But a little more down to earth ...

I have a 5DS. Starting over I'd get a 5DS, for landscape.

I have focal lengths from 16 to 540 with zooms at the ends and the middle covered by primes. I'd get more zooms for the middle and more Tilt-Shift. But I'd get more now too. And with some more budget I'd upgrade quality of lens, etc.

I would like to make two points:

1) If you are looking for focal lengths / wide angles, it is important to understand that all focal lengths (all, all) are landscape focal lengths. I have made landscape photographs from 16 mm to 540 mm and most in-between.

2) Open ended questions like you pose typically don't provide satisfying answers or much enlightenment for the OP, responders, or readers.

So ... if you are seeking to upgrade your 5D and Tamron (focal length), perhaps best to start another thread and list your equipment (5D, lenses, tripods, ballheads, and bags) and state a budget.

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:20 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · landscape gear

Since you didn't specify the brand for your next dedicated landscape camera and you don't seem too vested into EF lenses, I would recommend the A7R or A7R II. Check in the Sony forum to find out more about them.

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:23 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · landscape gear

Okay, you have edited your OP with more info, but still no budget.

Please inject a little realism by stating a budget.

A trip is not a bad idea. Actually getting out there and photographing is not a bad idea, but choose carefully.

Don't neglect tripod and bag(s). It is often said that you can spend $1700 on a tripod & ballhead by buying mediocre one first and then a good one or spend $1200 by buying a good one in the first place.

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:24 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · landscape gear

The big question that needs to be answered is what do you do with your landscape images. Unless you print them large, I see little reason to go for the 5ds camera when the 6d at 1/3 the price would suffice. Better to get the 6d and some lenses unless you print large.

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:24 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · landscape gear

The old canard that extra resolution is useless unless you print larger resurfaces.

You don't need lots of resolution, but you would like and everyone sure can use it when it is available. Otherwise you'd keep the 5D (which would not be a bad idea, depending on ... you guessed it ... your budget).

And zeroing in on increased resolution as the sole point of a 5DS or other brands hi-res cameras is narrow minded when they (especially the 5DS) offer so much more.

For example, the 5DS has a built-in intervalometer. Its mirrorbox / shutter assembly is the most advanced in Canon's line for quieter / lower speed handheld work.

But getting back to megapixels, the 5DS allows you to crop in tightly to 7D2 resolution for those opportunities when wildlife presents itself to you while you are making landscape photos. It's like always carrying a 1.6x teleconverter that weighs nothing and costs zero stops of light. Plus the 5DS has the same kind of high end AutoFocus that the top Canons have (7D2, 1D-X, 5D3).

Beyond all that, printing to 19 x 13 inches from the 5DS will give you slightly better results than printing to the same size from a regular 20/24 Mpx DSLR (I also have a 5D2). (Note that 19x13 is native resolution for 300 ppi printing from 20/24 Mpx like 6D/5D2/5D3 but 30 x 20 inches is native resolution for the 5DS.) Not enough better on this specific point to be worth an upgrade of course, but a nice touch on top of all the other advantages of the 5DS for landscape.

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:37 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · landscape gear

Monito wrote:
The old canard that extra resolution is useless unless you print larger resurfaces.

You don't need lots of resolution, but you would like and everyone sure can use it when it is available. Otherwise you'd keep the 5D (which would not be a bad idea, depending on ... you guessed it ... your budget).

And zeroing in on increased resolution as the sole point of a 5DS or other brands hi-res cameras is narrow minded when they (especially the 5DS) offer so much more.

For example, the 5DS has a built-in intervalometer. Its mirrorbox / shutter assembly is the most advanced in Canon's
...Show more

Of course the more advanced camera has more features...but the cost of those extra features are not negligible. And again, unless printing large, I really doubt you'll be able to see any differences in prints from the 6d versus the 5ds at sizes 13x19 or less.

As far as staying with the 5d...a key feature it is missing that I find invaluable for landscape photography is live view which allows for very efficient tripod based composition and focus.

My recommendation still would be the 6d or 5d2 and a good lens rather than 5ds...unless your goal is large prints.

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:45 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · landscape gear

I would avoid the 5D II, it has poor dynamic range for landscapes.
The Sony A7r has shutter vibration issues.
If you do much long exposures, the Sony A7rII is not the best. Otherwise it is a great choice, as is the 5DS. If the budget doesn't allow these, a 6D is fine.

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:54 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · landscape gear

I'd go with either a 6D or 5D3. I love my 6D and am amazed at the high iso's and picture quality. That being said, I wouldn't mind the 5D3 if I had the extra money for when I wanted to take pictures of faster moving subjects.

With lenses, while the 16-35 IS is nice, I think I'd go with the 17-40L. When I had one, it was usually shot at F8 or more anyways and sometimes on a tripod. Then either a 24-70 F4 or 2.8, depending on the budget. A mid tele and then a fast prime or two.

Then I'd try and take a trip someplace. Nice gear is, well, nice but you have to get out and use it. So I'd use some camera "funds" and take a trip someplace. Maybe Grand Canyon, Zion, Glacier Park, Everglades, or maybe even someplace foreign if you can swing it.

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:59 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · landscape gear

bradf35 wrote:
If you were starting over today, what landscape gear would you buy? I've been shooting with an original 5D and old Tamron lens for way too long now, and I've decided to upgrade. I've been saving money for 5 years with the idea of upgrading, but have never pulled the trigger. What landscape gear do you have that you can't live without, or what would you buy today? I've saved up a rather large budget, so I'm thinking about new gear plus a trip somewhere.

Also, I'll be donating my old 5d to someone that needs a camera. I've asked at
...Show more

First of all, there are some personal aspects to this that might make the setup very different for various photographers. For example, I rarely use an ultra-wide lens for landscape while others consider such a lens to be their primary tool. My most likely landscape lens is perhaps a medium telephoto, and some folks think that is not a landscape lens at all. So begin by thinking very carefully about how you photograph landscape subjects.

Also consider what you'll do with the photographs. If you will make very large, high quality, fine art prints you will need different sorts of equipment than if you rarely print and mostly share smaller jpg images online. If the former, expect to carry a bit of tonnage. If the latter... part of me envies you! ;-) You'll also have to be honest with yourself about how agreeable you are to using a tripod, and so forth.

For my personal needs and my approach to landscape photography I'm completely happy with the gear that I typically use these days, and I have no desire to replace or augment any of it, with only one or two minor exceptions. Here's my list:

Canon 5DsR — plenty of resolution and other aspects of image quality to produce the large, high quality prints that are my target output.

Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS — I rarely shoot ultra-wide, but when I do this lens provides excellent image quality. (A less expensive alternative is the venerable 17-40mm f/4L, though these days I think the only good reason to prefer it is to save money. The 16-35mm f/2.8L II is also fine, though in optical terms the f/4 lens is generally going to be a better bet for landscape.)

Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II — A very solid mid-range telephoto lens which can be my primary lens for many subjects. Alternatives include the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, which I've used to make many excellent photographs. While the 24-70 can produce somewhat better image quality, the 24-105 is no slouch and it is a more versatile and flexible lens. There is also a 24-70mm f/4 lens about which I've heard good things.

Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II — This is a really fine lens, and perhaps my most-used landscape photography lens. Frankly, however, any of the Canon 70-200mm zooms will produce excellent results, and I substitute the IS f/4 version of the lens when weight is a critical factor, including for backpacking.

Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-f/6L IS — I used the original model of this lens for a long time and it was a good performer, but the new version is an improvement in every way, especially when it comes to resolution across the focal length range.

A very solid tripod and head. I actually have two. One is an older, large Induro C313 (?) — no longer made and, frankly, less solidly constructed than I would like. (This is one piece of gear that I am likely to replace.) It is fitted with the RRS BH-55 head. For lighter need — again, backpacking — I use a somewhat lighter Gitzo tripod with the Acratech Ultimate Bullhead.

Various odds and ends. I'm not a big filter user — I typically carry a circular polarizer or two plus a ND filter or two. I obviously use a remote release. I carry extra batteries, sensor cleaning tools, and a few other odds and ends.

Would you want what I want? Not necessarily. You might like a different model or brand of camera, and my set of lenses could well not be right for you at all. (I went through a stage of believing that I had to shoot primes in order to produce great landscape images. I've now joined the many, many photographers who realize that this simply is not the case.)

alundeb wrote:
... a 6D is fine.

The 5DII is not the current "state of the art," and there are fine arguments for choosing the very excellent 6D. However, I disagree that the 5DII makes a poor landscape camera, and I have a half a decade of work that says otherwise. Here is an example of something that hardly seems like poor dynamic range. :-)

Good luck!

Dan

Edited on Oct 06, 2015 at 02:06 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:01 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · landscape gear

alundeb wrote:

I think you might qualify that.

The 5D2 has perfectly good dynamic range for anything, unless you want to manipulate the file a lot

It is an excellent choice and great value

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:02 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · landscape gear

dhphoto wrote:
The 5D2 has perfectly good dynamic range for anything, unless you want to manipulate the file a lot

Nope, banding can show up, even in downrezzed images, after even slight manipulation like lifting shadows 1 - 2 stops. I know you will dispute that, but my data point is as valid as yours and I am not alone. I do not have a bad copy of the 5DII.

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:05 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · landscape gear

alundeb wrote:
Nope, banding can show up, even in downrezzed images, after even slight manipulation like lifting shadows 1 - 2 stops. I know you will dispute that, but my data point is as valid as yours and I am not alone. I do not have a bad copy of the 5DII.

See my example above. There is the potential for banding in 5DII files, but it is often grossly overstated, for reasons that still elude me.

Dan

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:07 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · landscape gear

gdanmitchell wrote:
See my example above. There is the potential for banding in 5DII files, but it is often grossly overstated, for reasons that still elude me.

Dan

I don't want to overstate it. Now there are so many other options. When we bought ours, it was the only game in town for affordable high res, and we had to deal with it. Starting over which is the whole point from the OP, the 5D II would be the least preferred choice, if that sounds better

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:10 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · landscape gear

alundeb wrote:
I don't want to overstate it. Now there are so many other options. When we bought ours, it was the only game in town for affordable high res, and we had to deal with it. Starting over which is the whole point from the OP, the 5D II would be the least preferred choice, if that sounds better

That I can certainly agree with. I think that the 6D is a better value for most folks looking for a new camera with a sensor of this type today. A 5DII could be a good option used at the right price for some folks.

Dan

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:11 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · landscape gear

alundeb wrote:

Used (and using) my 5D MkII, banding normally shows up visibly at higher ISO numbers in dark red or green shadow areas. It has never been a dealbreaker for me for regular landscape photos with this camera where I normally shoot at low ISO. On the other hand, the 5D MkII cannot compete in DR with newer sensor-based cameras like the D810 or the A7R/A7R II. Since I find more DR especially useful in landscape photography, I would neither choose the 5D MkII nor the 6D for it at this point.

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:12 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · landscape gear

retrofocus wrote:
On the other hand, the 5D MkII cannot compete in DR with newer sensor-based cameras like the D810 or the A7R/A7R II. Since I find more DR especially useful in landscape photography, I would neither choose the 5D MkII nor the 6D for it at this point.

Can you please explain that to Chez

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:20 PM
bradf35
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · landscape gear

Thanks for the replies so far. I have $15K right now, and would like to spend it on equipment plus a trip. I've already made the tripod mistake, and now have a good tripod. Right now I print at 16x20 with my 5Dc. I'd probably print larger from time to time if I could.

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:23 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · landscape gear

If you just gave me a pile of cash today I would find it hard to pick between the 5Dsr and Nikon d810.

The 810 has enough resolution and a great DR, nice files, but I prefer canons lens lineup.

Was impressed with the 5ds I had last week looking forward to the 5dsr one day see how much of an improvement that is.

I have an a7r and its ok but lots of compromises, the a7r2 has fixed some of those but I dont think enough to justify the cost

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:25 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · landscape gear

will you carry it on your back?

use it in harsh (cold, icy, snowy conditions)?

in any event, you'll want a quality CF tripod & ballhead - is your leg set CF? will it deploy & collapse time after time in the env.s you will work in in the future?

Luckily you have a fat budget.

I think use of an ultra-wide lens for landscape is an age-related issue - personally, I never touch the things - bad for my liver.

I'd also want a camera with lots of DR, but you posted in a Canon forum, so...

Edited on Oct 06, 2015 at 02:32 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:29 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.