FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2015 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

rolette wrote:
Can you resize the image to ~1000 pixels on the long side? Even on a 24" 1920 x 1200 display, I can't quite see the whole thing.

I'm not familiar with D7200, but assuming there's not just some processing issues here, it looks like you are on the edge of what the sensor will do at these high ISO values. There's a lot of posterization on the uniforms and a surprising lack of detail on the grass (turf?).

You'll get better results if you wait for the action to get to you. The general rule for high-ISO sports is you have to
...Show more

Thanks Jay,

Yes, it is turf. Exposure was not changed for this image but WB was way off ... I wonder if I nail WB if that will help.

I have this cross-posted via a link in the Nikon forum to get comments from those guys too.

Here's the image without NR at 1000 pixels on the long edge, but you loose a lot of resolution and noise by shrinking it.

DSC_17262 by ferigan77, on Flickr

Cheers,
Andre

Oct 07, 2015 at 08:14 PM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

Andre Labonte wrote:
I wonder if I nail WB if that will help.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5659/21840435448_939942dbab_o.jpgDSC_17262 by ferigan77, on Flickr

Cheers,
Andre

My personal opinion is that proper WB is as important or even more important than proper exposure.

As a 65%+ color blind photographer I have to rely completely on WB cards to make sure my WB is dead on (I sometimes miss it so I know it's not always possible to nail it). I was lucky enough to have visual editors, very early in my caree,r that realized that my color blindness would be a major hurdle in photography and one of them took me under his wing and taught me the behind-the-scenes on how to properly WB images. He taught me more about color balancing than any other person, book, or video ever could.

Oct 08, 2015 at 10:04 AM
coreybell
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

It might just be me, but I actually like the no NR photos better.

Oct 08, 2015 at 01:39 PM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

coreybell wrote:

Agreed....but there is a reason for this.

I was taught a long time ago that DNR or any noise reduction) has to be done in 3D. Foreground objects cannot have any, if very little DNR, and background (far away subjects) can have it more. Also, grass cannot have any DNR whatsoever as the human eye sees grass as natural noise and when grass is too smooth our brain tries to fight what we are seeing.

Oct 08, 2015 at 01:43 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

coreybell wrote:

Yep, I'm leaning the same way.

Oct 08, 2015 at 05:49 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

Carlos Salcedo wrote:
Agreed....but there is a reason for this.

I was taught a long time ago that DNR or any noise reduction) has to be done in 3D. Foreground objects cannot have any, if very little DNR, and background (far away subjects) can have it more. Also, grass cannot have any DNR whatsoever as the human eye sees grass as natural noise and when grass is too smooth our brain tries to fight what we are seeing.

Oh my goodness, I never thought of that but it makes perfect sense ... thanks for the tip ... now I just need to learn how to do it. Any suggestions?

Oct 08, 2015 at 05:49 PM
Kenneth Farver
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

try shooting from your knees so you will see more light on their faces inside the helmets.
let them get tight - going to a 300mm from a 200mm helped me immensely
12,800 and up (even to 25,600) gets noisy and noise reduction really removes a lot of detail in my photos (with a Canon 1DX) which makes them look smeared.
I have noticed when using a proper WB I get much better exposure and less noise.
Good Luck to you.

Oct 08, 2015 at 06:46 PM
Carlos Salcedo
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

Andre Labonte wrote:
Any suggestions?

Use a DNR application that allows control points like Nik Software's Dfine 2.

Oct 09, 2015 at 01:20 AM
dugaut
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

Andre,

Good advice from folks posting here.

You have a tough situation with poor quality light and little of it. It's times like these when I hear people say it's not the equipment that makes the shot that I think once and awhile good equipment helps. Long focal length lenses; sometimes I think a 300 is my short lens. And since it seems everyone has a 70-200 use a longer lens for shots that differentiate you. I've even used a 600 from the end zone.

Latitude for incorrect exposure falls way off with high iso; shooting right in camera at these iso levels is noticeably better than trying to bring up exposure in post.

I've had my sports photography critiqued and my thinking everytime I go into battle is get the eyes and get in close, closer than you think keeping in mind you can crop in but not out.

I also forget to get crowd reactions and "portaits" of players sitting on the bench all sweaty in between plays without their helmets on.

Oct 09, 2015 at 04:38 AM
Wrei
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

Well, sometimes, you don't need to crop a lot!

http://www.rayswindlepix.com/img/s/v-2/p1538758270-5.jpg

Oct 09, 2015 at 11:08 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

I think the NR applied by your software is a little too much - not sure you can scale that back though. I am glad to see what the D7200 does at ISO 12800. Typically that is as far as I might push my D4 and normally I try not to go past ISO 10000. I would be curious to see what ISO 10000 looks like under those stadium lights. I think if you nailed the exposure with action closer to you that you could end up with a much cleaner image overall.

Also as was suggested in the other thread, I think you would see some benefit from using LightRoom as well on your images as you have a finer level of control.

Oct 09, 2015 at 12:25 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Highschool Football Under the Lights -- CC appreciated

This is all great advice. thanks guys.

I like to shoot from the end-zones, so I guess I would need a longer lens than my 300 f/2.8 .... somehow I don't see that happening given the price.

But, I certainly do move up the sidelines and try to get closer ... I may do more of that to get the tighter crops without having to crop in post. In the past, cropping was not an issue as I was not shooting under the lights. That is all changed now as all the games are under the lights.

Exposure wise, again, I have that nailed as I did not edit these images in post for exposure. WB was off, but I have that nailed for the next shoot, so we'll see how that works.

ISO 10000 looks fine until I have to pull it because they are too dark. I'm shooting @ f/2.8 and really don't want to go below 1/1000. I did that once (1/500) and people were all over me for motion blur. So I feel like I'm at the limits of what I can do given the conditions.

LR is coming ... as soon as I get my new computer in a couple of months. I'll be looking into other programs as well so that I can do selecting NR.

Heading to the next game in just a couple of hours! Wish me luck!!!

Oct 09, 2015 at 03:56 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.