FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · 1,000 year flood

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1,000 year flood

After the rain finally stopped Sunday afternoon here in (not so sunny) SC I took a drive up to one of my favorite parks to see what kind of water flow it had. It's not obvious in the image but this little stream usually looks nothing like this and usually has a calming sound of a nice babbling brook. I could barely hear myself think as I was shooting this. We don't have any fall colors to speak of yet but I plan on hitting this location again in a few weeks.

Compared to the folks just south of us here in SC we came out relatively well after the storm floods this past week. I think we only got something like 6+ inches in my area over the weekend. It's nice to see the sun again as I almost forgot what it looked like.

I stitched together 5 sets of 3 bracketed frames for this image. I ended up cropping most of the 2 outer frames on each side as I didn't like the composition and the long stretched crop.

Thanks for looking and feel free to give me any nits you might have.

Dave

1,000 year flood

Oct 06, 2015 at 09:01 AM
JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1,000 year flood

Nice lighthound. Did you notice if there was a lot of downfall in the creeks and streams?

Oct 06, 2015 at 09:38 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1,000 year flood

Nicely done Dave.

Oct 06, 2015 at 10:12 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1,000 year flood

Thanks Jim! No there wasn't a lot of damage up in this area, thankfully. Just to the south of us they are hurting real bad and many counties are still under a state of emergency with many schools and expressways closed. I think I heard on the radio this morning that we have 9 dams that are overflowing and complete areas have been evacuated. All this water from this stream and hundreds of others are heading down toward the already devastated areas now. It's a huge mess to the south of us.

Thank you Ben!

Oct 06, 2015 at 10:23 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1,000 year flood

Nice shot, Dave. So sorry for everyone in SC adversely affected by the flooding. It is a place I love to visit, spent time there this spring. Already saw on TV the Reedy River on Sat, much more water than I've ever seen. I'll bet all the waterfalls are raging.

Oct 06, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1,000 year flood

Great work Dave, I hope all is well after such a large amount of rain.

Oct 06, 2015 at 11:14 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1,000 year flood

Hey Dave,

That is a very nice shot you have here. It is too bad about all of the flooding, hopefully the area south of you recovers quickly.

Jim

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:08 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1,000 year flood

Thank you Stan and Matt!

The rivers and falls were definitely flowing. The Reedy falls in downtown was just crazy from what I heard. I should have gone down there to snap a few shots.
Unfortunately what made for some great photography in the mountains this weekend is hitting Columbia and the low country right now.

Dave

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:30 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1,000 year flood

JimFox wrote:
Hey Dave,

That is a very nice shot you have here. It is too bad about all of the flooding, hopefully the area south of you recovers quickly.

Jim

Thanks Jim!
And yes, they have a mess on their hands from all this crazy rain. Lot's of good vibes going out to all that are effected by this.

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:34 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.