FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       5       end

Archive 2015 · Lightroom 6.2

butchM
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Lightroom 6.2

Monkey Falls wrote:
Crap. Wish I had seen this before updating to 6.2 with its terrible Import interface. It's awful. What was Adobe thinking?

You are not alone in your sentiment ... a thread on the Adobe Lightroom feedback forum on the subject has already broke into the Top 15 threads of all-time on that forum ...

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/new-update-6-2

Oct 07, 2015 at 08:32 AM
TimMc

p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Lightroom 6.2

The upgrade on my iMac with El Capitan is working just fine. The import interface was an initial shock, but after a couple more uses it actually is an improvement for my work flow. I load from my camera card to a file folder and then import to lightroom from there. The import interface brings up the file folder for a one click selection.

Oct 07, 2015 at 09:59 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Lightroom 6.2

Why do companies think that removing power features makes for a better product? At least Adobe could have included all the old options under the Settings menu and left the simpler new interface for the idiots out there. But they actually stripped a bunch of power features from the settings menu and dumbed down everything else.

I'm really considering dumping this CC subscription and going to Capture One. I'm going to re-download the CO demo today and try it out....I've been happy with LR since switching from Aperture in 2012 but this newest update is really making me reconsider this company. I almost never use PS CC so paying every month for just LR is sort of stupid I guess....

Oct 07, 2015 at 10:11 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Lightroom 6.2

TimMc wrote:
The upgrade on my iMac with El Capitan is working just fine. The import interface was an initial shock, but after a couple more uses it actually is an improvement for my work flow. I load from my camera card to a file folder and then import to lightroom from there. The import interface brings up the file folder for a one click selection.

yep it gets a thumbs up from me also . Ive not done my imac yet as thats my main machine but I thought id give it a spin on my Air .

I now can see whats missing , but to be honest they were the things that i never used unless i made a mistake and selected something by accident .

its a cleaner UI and seems to be a faster less convoluted import process .

maybe it suits my workflow (that I recently adopted) more than others .
typically I will copy my files to folder called 'import' on my hard drive and then add to LR via the import dialogue rather than just straight from a card(s) as it is a faster method if im doing loads of images . .

the loss of the move option when importing from a hard drive is no loss as far as im concerned as that used to take as long as if you copy from a memory card .

Oct 07, 2015 at 10:14 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Lightroom 6.2

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
maybe it suits my workflow (that I recently adopted) more than others ...

Yes, if you are a relative new user you may not miss many of the previous import capabilities and feedback the traditional dialog offered .... but consider the vast majority of Lr users who relied upon those functions, many of which were available since the very inception of the early pre v1 public betas.

The abrupt absence of such tools, without warning or explanation, can be more than a little disconcerting and really reflects how out of touch Adobe can be with their users.

Oct 07, 2015 at 10:29 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Lightroom 6.2

butch I've been using LR since V1

its still early days on the new UI but from what I can see its fine by me . maybe I will find something i will miss .
the only think I can think of so far could be the 'eject after import' which actually is (on a mac at least) an odd thing to remove .

Oct 07, 2015 at 11:34 AM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Lightroom 6.2

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
butch I've been using LR since V1

its still early days on the new UI but from what I can see its fine by me . maybe I will find something i will miss .
the only think I can think of so far could be the 'eject after import' which actually is (on a mac at least) an odd thing to remove .

The whole situation is a bit more than odd if you ask me.

I am not opposed to an update to the UI ... in fact, if they offered such for the entire app, I would not be opposed to consider the move.

My concern is why did they choose to remove so much existing functionality in an effort to spruce up the UI? ... very backwards thinking in my opinion.

Oct 07, 2015 at 12:01 PM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Lightroom 6.2

In my case, it sounds like I'll be using Photo Mechanic for my import for everything instead of only for my bird shots. It also means I have less use for LR and with Adobe's attitude (akin to Apple's we-know-better-than-you-do stance, which also irritates me), I'll move away from them at some point.

Oct 07, 2015 at 12:01 PM
justruss
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Lightroom 6.2

I miss Aperture.

Oct 07, 2015 at 12:22 PM
mjgphotoz
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Lightroom 6.2

I too have been with LR since the 1st beta. Amid all the hoopla and discussion regarding CC that has gone on since it's inception, this is what it all comes down to for me. No choices, no regard for user preferences, and disregard for any who may question what they believe we should want or need.

Adobe marketing approach has been likened by some to the frog in the boiling pot wherein the water heats till it's too late for the frog to escape. I suspect this is where the water boils. Adobe is going to do exactly as they see fit and the subscription based sales they implemented assures a captive audience. Don't like a change or find your workflow broken? That's too bad. You have a choice of continuing to pay for the product they decide you need, regardless of your satisfaction, or you can walk away with nothing in hand and find an alternative. That is to my mind exactly what they intended to accomplish from the git go, and unless and until they feel a financial pinch they directly attribute to this approach they really have no incentive to do otherwise.

All of this aside, the immediate issue at hand is a release that has not only highlighted the validity of some of these old issues, but has also managed to create unnecessary loss of use and disrupted time for end users on it's functional merits alone, never mind the changes they may or may not like or want.

Oct 07, 2015 at 02:12 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Lightroom 6.2

This is great.... I just bought a 5Ds R on the weekend and was about to upgrade to Lr 6 from 5.7.1. I'm on Windows based machines and from my understanding, the crashing and problems relate to Macs and the latest OS. Lets hope Adobe is doing a full court press on this.

Oct 07, 2015 at 03:45 PM
Lotuselite
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Lightroom 6.2

Got my machine restored to Yosemite and LR 6.1. All working fine so far. Now I just have to download the images I took subsequent to the date I restored back to.

Thank you Time Machine. It took overnight but the restore has done the trick.

I am going to let the dust settle before El Capitan and LR 6.2 get together again.

FWIW I tried to get by with uninstalling LR 6.2 and restoring 6.1 from my Carbon Copy Cloner back up but must have done something wrong as that did not work and I could no longer access my picture files although they were on the HD. They had moved to CCC's Safety Net feature as had all my desktop folders.

As I have a couple of other back ups of all photos and the last few catalog B/Us I was not too concerned but I thought using CCC would be a bit more intuitive but as I say it may well have been my own doing.

I will wait and see if either Apple or Adobe have anything to say.

on my system 6.2 would shut down if I tried to Import, Move or Export a file, rendering it pretty well useless.

Oct 07, 2015 at 05:00 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Lightroom 6.2

If you're having crashes in El Cap just go to preferences>general and uncheck "show add photos screen". Restart LR and you're good to go with no crashes and the old import screen.

Gordon

Oct 07, 2015 at 10:30 PM
Lotuselite
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Lightroom 6.2

Thanks Flash, however I have already tried a few other suggestions with no solution. It may well be that my system has some cow pies that either El Cap or Adobe is stepping in, so having functionality restored for the time being I am going to let either Apple or Adobe let me know when it is safe to combine their software.
I am reluctant to expose myself to having to do another re-install.

Oct 08, 2015 at 12:06 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Lightroom 6.2

I'm not being sarcastic when I say thank you to early adopters for taking the hit and raising the stink. You guys are the ones who suffer the brunt of the inevitably messed up first or early releases of anything and everything.

I strongly doubt any company deliberately, intentionally, with forethought and malice sets about to release f***ed up products. But due to a multitude of pressures and poor management decisions that developers, engineers and production staff are almost always at odds with, it happens almost every single time.

Noble souls that you are, you guys purchase, or upgrade (and I use the term loosely), or whatever... then express (rightful) outrage... then six months or a year later, things are made better and they settle down for a year or so until the next cycle repeats itself.

In the mean time, cowards like myself wait until things stabilize and we can use an "outdated" product for two or three years - and largely contently because the latest and greatest is almost always pretty squirrely and we don't have sufficient interest in being cutting edge to suffer through the misery.

Thanks for taking one for the team - and as ever, your feigned shock and surprise is particularly impressive.

I, for one, don't know how you keep it up but I like it.

For any annoyed by this playful (but surprisingly sincere) post, please, you're always welcome to join us at:

www.sitbackandwatch.org

Peace, guys.

Chuck

Oct 08, 2015 at 01:05 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Lightroom 6.2

Chuck, in all fairness: this is a .2 update so it should get rid of bugs. Instead, it crashes on a lot of systems, including but not constricted to the latest OS X 10.11.0. Head over to the Adobe forums and you'll find it crashes just as easily on OS X 10.10.5 as well as Windows 10.

Had it been a .0 release on a .0 OS with all sorts of problems, yeah, you'd have a point...

Oct 08, 2015 at 06:39 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Lightroom 6.2

Emile Gregoire wrote:
Chuck, in all fairness: this is a .2 update so it should get rid of bugs...

One would think, huh?

In any case, I hear you, Emile. You make a good point.

Regards,

Chuck

Oct 08, 2015 at 07:03 AM
pmbpro

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Lightroom 6.2

Monkey Falls wrote:
What was Adobe thinking?

They weren't.

Thank you OP for starting this thread, as I was about to download that upgrade too, like others have said.
Unbelievable.
<*smh*>

Oct 08, 2015 at 10:18 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Lightroom 6.2

Just to say I installed 6.2 standalone on my Windows 7 pc and it works fine and seems to be a tiny bit faster.

I have disabled the silly new upload thing in Prefs. and it's fine otherwise

Oct 08, 2015 at 01:57 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Lightroom 6.2

nolaguy wrote:
I strongly doubt any company deliberately, intentionally, with forethought and malice sets about to release f***ed up products. But due to a multitude of pressures and poor management decisions that developers, engineers and production staff are almost always at odds with, it happens almost every single time.

No, no, no, no .... this was NEVER to happen under CC ... the subscription model was to avoid all these issues with products being released prematurely and the pressure was to be removed from the scenario ...

This release did not need to come this week. There was no scheduled sale of a new version to bolster cash flow ... there was no clamoring in the Adobe U2U or feedback forums pleading for a total revamp of the Import dialog or to strip the traditional functionality from the process.

If this latest update was not ready for Prime Time ... it was NOT due to market pressure ... If it was released under pressure or duress and the product is incomplete or problematic to a large group of users ... the cause was internal to Adobe.

Now did the execs and managers need something to show off at the Max show ... Yep ... but it was these very same execs, managers, paid evangelists and unpaid apologists that enlightened we mere mortals just a couple of years ago that with the subscription model ... all would be near perfection as the engineers would have all the time and resources they needed to hone and fine tune the products before release ... there would no longer be set-in-stone deadlines that were humanly impossible to meet and unfair to the teams.

With that knowledge of what we were enlightened with when CC came to be ... How ... how could this have happened?

Were some folks less than forthright or honest with us about how things would be done?

Oct 08, 2015 at 02:41 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.