New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · New Monitor Question

3iron
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · New Monitor Question

I do not have a photo specific monitor and would like to get one to begin learning some of the finer points of editing. Have been looking at the NEC EA244UHD. It is a 24" monitor, not nearly as expensive as the larger ones.
A friend has indicated that the icons may be too small to read which leaves a question mark in my mind. Is that because with the fine pitch the same number of points are applied?
If that is the case, is there a way to over come this problem so I can still get a good monitor and be able to read the print and see the icons?
Any different monitor suggestions would be great as well.
Thanks for your help and taking a look.

Oct 05, 2015 at 02:22 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · New Monitor Question

Unless you have software that properly supports scaling for 4K you will have problems. That pretty much means up to date OSX or Win 10, and Adobe CC for editing.

I have a 4K 55 inch TV, and out of interest i hooked it up to my Win7 PC just to see 4K. Even with a TV that size i had to sit 18 inches away to read the icons.

Oct 05, 2015 at 03:54 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · New Monitor Question

In Win7 you can adjust icon and text size so that it works, at least well enough for me on a 27" 4K Dell screen.
The only application I use that does not scale the text size well is PS CS6. It takes a little squinting.
I recall compared to a 27" monitor, things will be a little smaller and need more scaling on Win7.
With free Win10 upgrades, I don't see any issues.

Oct 05, 2015 at 08:46 PM
3iron
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · New Monitor Question

dgdg, 15bit: Thanks so much for your reply. I am running windows 10 now from 7. Just downloaded and installed 10. I have Lightroom and CS 5 to use. Have not used CS 5 that much yet. I have played around with photo enhancement but not with a photo specific monitor. I have also done some printing, but have not worked with it enough.
My goal is to be able to improve my photos slightly for printing for just my personal use.
Hopefully my alienware aurora will handle the 4k setup. It has a 1.8Gb Nvidia GeForce Gt60 card. This is an older setup about 4 years.
Any thoughts or suggestion would be most helpful.
Thanks and best wishes.

Oct 05, 2015 at 09:21 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · New Monitor Question

Can you calibrate your monitor?
You need an x-rite or spyder. Otherwise you have no way to control the print or web display colors and brightness.
Stick with online print labs until you have that down. Calibrating your printer is another step.

Oct 05, 2015 at 09:51 PM
3iron
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · New Monitor Question

dgdg: have a canon I 9900 printer I have used in the past. I do not have a current calibrator although I have used a spyder in the past. Presently I have not monitor at all as I use a laptop for most of my photography. I've already some experience printing. My alien desktop is tethered to a flatscreen television. I would like to step up to the next level so to speak by getting a monitor I can work better with.

Oct 07, 2015 at 01:25 PM
hiepphotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · New Monitor Question

3iron wrote:
dgdg: have a canon I 9900 printer I have used in the past. I do not have a current calibrator although I have used a spyder in the past. Presently I have not monitor at all as I use a laptop for most of my photography. I've already some experience printing. My alien desktop is tethered to a flatscreen television. I would like to step up to the next level so to speak by getting a monitor I can work better with.

Dell UP2414Q has the same panel as the NEC above. The only problem with Dell monitor that I have read is its brightness uniformity (only perceptible when measure). Mine has around 10% difference in the worst area with a 5x5 grid measurement.

As for 4K, Adobe just rolled out new LR/PS (a version before the current one) that supports 4K, with decent font size for menu and such. I have not updated mine. On the other hand, most plug-ins in LR/PS don't have 4K-awareness so you have to deal with tiny font. I guess I got used it.

Oct 07, 2015 at 01:32 PM
3iron
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · New Monitor Question

hiepphotog: thanks for your reply. So it seems a 24" mnitor could have quite tiny fonts, especially compared to a 27 or 30 some inch one. That does concern me. I have no way to know how tiny that is, can anyone give an idea of what I would be looking at?
Thanks much.

Oct 09, 2015 at 09:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.