Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

I have been asked by my Nephew do to a Photobooth for his Sweet 16 in a few weeks.
Yeah, I think for him it will be a sweet 16 but anyway, he's a decent kid.

Now instead of the normal thing I do with all the corporates and every other Nice and nephew and my own kids in taking the pics on a Greenscreen background myself and printing them out as postcards for the kids to take home, he has her little heart set on an automatic setup.
I tried giving him all the options of what I normally do but he wants it because that is what every other kid has....... OK.

It seems I have an ancient copy of DSLR booth so all I need to know now is....
Everything else!

Is this an easy to set up software?
What size should the "Booth" area be? I'm not planning on making a booth as such but then again no reason I can't hang some curtains off some steel rods I have on 2" round Industrial stands I have. He'd probably appreciate some nice curtains but the main thing I'm concerned about now is what sort of area and background width is good?

Anyone built there own setup to house the printer and computer and lights etc?

I have seen the Buttons you can buy to trigger the things but I have more old USB mice lying around than I can shake a stick at so if anyone has a wiring diagram I can apply to a switch from the electronics store to trigger it, that would be good.

I was thinking about using 6x8" paper instead of 6x4. Not sure if I can set that up but has anyone done it to give larger pics? He wants the strips but as my printers don't cut, I was just going to put a bit of angle Aluminium on a rotary trimmer so they can just put them in and slide the cutter and they hopefully can't go too wrong.

I would like to explore this further and maybe look at building some booths to rent out. Been thinking of it for a while and I see people are having them a lot for weddings as well. I have a Couple of covered trailers I can transport them in as well as the ute so that part is no problem.
Plenty of my Daughters friends would probably be happy to run the things for me on the night for some exta cash as well.

Anyway, what ever tips and advise those knowledgeable in these things can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Oct 05, 2015 at 04:26 AM
Mr Kris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

I don't use that software so can't comment, but here is my physical setup:

http://krisquiroz.com/kq/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/pb1.jpg

In use, it's all covered by a black upholstery cloth cover and just looks like a black tower with a monitor and a button. Here's my photobooth page with some sample images, and one (not so great) shot of the setup:

http://www.krisquiroz.com/photobooth/

(yeah, my website is not up to date. My clients are mostly by referral.)

Anyway, some extra detail:

- I built this a couple years ago and have improvements in mind and plan on making it smaller. Currently it's a 4 ft tall tower with a 15" square base. It's basically a bunch of shelves. Aluminum, so it's light weight. Easy to move with one person. I stick sandbags on a support that's under the base so it doesn't tip over.
- Camera is on a magic arm behind the monitor mount.
- I use these for the main light: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/878203-REG/Impact_sf_ae56_45W_AC_Master_Slave_Flash.html
- Maybe not that exact one, but yeah- any screw in bulb type deal that has a sync connection in the $20-$30 price range. Super cheap, and easy to have a backup on hand (I like redundancy). Though the one I've been using 3 years hasn't failed yet.... I always have a spare in my booth bag. No power adjustment, so I just adjust iso/aperture on camera. I usually end up ISO 1600-2500, but no biggie- it's a photo booth.
- My light setup is not efficient AT ALL- but it works great and looks like a soft ring flash. It sits behind the camera (yeah, the brightest spot of the flash is blocked by the camera body ), and then on either side of the camera I have white nylon to diffuse it. (Sorry, I don't have a front shot on this computer- will post one later).
- I use one of these as my actuator button: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VWU2WA
- Printer sits on middle shelf. I sized it so I could put in a giant fast printer if I wanted to, but in practice, I haven't found that I've needed to upgrade to one. So I'm running a smaller Hiti printer. Prints come out through a hole in the cloth cover.
- Laptop sits on bottom shelf to control it all.

When I get around to building the next version, I'll run it all off a tablet, and size the body for the smaller printer. Maybe a bit taller, but it doesn't need to be a 15" square base for my usage.

Edited on Oct 06, 2015 at 02:06 PM · View previous versions

Oct 06, 2015 at 01:58 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

Oh, I guess you'll figure it out if you follow my link, but it's not a "booth" per se. Free standing tower to take pictures, and a backdrop on a stand if needed. Some of the sample pics were at a barn wedding that had a nice wall with a lot of character that I used for backdrop.

I use an 18-55 kit lens in it, and so can adjust focal length based on distance to backdrop and how much backdrop we have available. You'll see in some of the sample pics there's really large parties in the picture- I think it's a nice selling point (as long as there's room at the venue).

Also, if you have an attendant, it's probably not a big deal- but in the next version, I will be building it with hard sides. (Probably still a cloth cover on everything- easy to wash or change looks.) It's nice and light like this, but I found little kids (or drunk adults) like to poke around. But it's been to a redneck wedding (I'm allowed to call them that, they're my friends ) and has survived large groups of majorly drunk users

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:04 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

Ok, so maybe I had one picture of the front :

http://krisquiroz.com/kq/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/pb2.jpg

Someone decided to lean their serving tray holder against it. I'm sure if they thought about it for 2 seconds they wouldn't lean stuff against the machine with thousands of dollars of equipment in it....... but things get busy I guess haha.....

Anyway, camera lens of course pokes through hole in the cover. The white patches of cloth are thin nylon that the flash diffuses through. The lights on the front are LED lights velcroed to the cover. They are not always needed depending on how much ambient light there is- they don't help the exposure at all, but are there to make the live view more visible.

Oct 06, 2015 at 02:17 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

So I researched the shit out of this last Spring because I began offering a photobooth add-on this Summer. The photobooth has been wildly successful every night and I am really happy with the result.

You can go the DIY route (my favorite) or buy an all-in solution like this:
http://www.photoboothsupplyco.com/shop/

It was made quickly apparent to me that
1- the retail options were really expensive
2- all the products I was seeing used stuff I already had in the studio for the most part

Hardware:
- C-Stand (already had it)
- Three Standbags
- Tether tools articulating arms (2) and other gadgets (biggest expense)
- Surface Pro 3 tablet (bought used)
- Background support system (90$ BH home brand)
- A 9'x12" muslin (ditto)
- 48" umbrella (already had it)
- PCB Einstein strobe (already had it)
- D800E shooting small JPEG (already had it)

Software:
-Lightroom (if you man the photobooth)
-Darkroom (295$) or dslrBooth (150$) if you want an automated solution
-Fastone Image Viewer (free) to run a slideshow of the shots and project them in the room
-PicPicSocial (500$ or monthly plan with cloud storage) or TIF Social (200$) if you want to run a social media station

99% of the time I run a photobooth it is manned by an assistant who takes the shots manually with the Nikon MC-30A remote trigger cable+extension I snagged for cheap on Craiglist. The Surface tablet runs Lightroom is tethered mode, applying a homemade preset to the shots upon import to get a specific look you will not get with most other software. The guest see themselves immediately after the shot is taken on the surface.

I also use a display port->hdmi adapter and a 50ft HDMI cable I bought on monoprice (cheap and good quality, paid 40$) to feed a projector (Benq W1080ST which I already owned) that loops a slideshow of the photobooth shots on a 80" screen (Epson Duet Ultra) in the reception venue. The slideshow is the key at creating a buzz. I typically tell the DJ that the photobooth is open, but it is not until people broke the ice and shots start appearing in the room that people get excited. With the Surface tablet, they get to see their shot immediately as well.

You can set up a social media station with an iPad by using something like PicPicSocial or TIF Social. This will require you set up a local wireless network for everything to communicate.

We bought 50$ worth of accessories at the dollar store initially to get a good variety and will have to spend another 25$ next season to replace all the broken stuff.

The footprint of the photobooth is small as everything is self contained to the C-Stand, which can be secured with three 15lbs sandbags against drunken bros.

Some photos:

The surface pro tablet makes automation possible but I found people kept looking at the tablet instead of the camera or wouldn't place themselves in the clearly marked area on the floor. So an assistant insures people are looking at the right place, it goes faster so the line-ups are easier to handle (there is often a line-up in our case when people start seeing shots on the 80" screen) and it also insures people don't break your shit.

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/fk7-photobooth.jpg

Claudia the assistant in full cameo gear
http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/fk7-photobooth2.jpg

Result
http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/fk7-photobooth3.jpg

What I hated with dslrbooth or most software was the cheap SOOC look. Using lightroom in tethered mode allows you to apply a preset as soon as a shot is taken to get a really vibrant studio look.

Oct 06, 2015 at 03:34 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

Mr Kris, Thanks for the info!!

I was beginning to think I wasn't going to get any input.
I seem to have the software workings, I dug out an old SFF computer I'm going to load up today just for the Booth but I am now mainly concerned with the actual setup of the thing.

A box like yours seems the most practical sort of base layout. I'm not keen on dong a closed booth, seems like much more work as well as risk. If you don't make the thing solid and heavy, it seems likely to get knocked over.

What I'm thinking at this stage is a box like yours and screw that to a 6 ft folding table on one end. That would make the box secure and have a place for them to put a book to put the pics in, write things and cut the pics up.

I'm also Considering having a Video option. Instead of a flash, I was thinking of using a large LED panel I have which is for warehouse lighting. It throws a heap of light and I thought might be better than flash heads at close range.
I may yet change my ideas but that's them for now.

What size area do you have for the people width and depth?

Thanks again for the helpful info.

Oct 06, 2015 at 04:37 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

Thanks Francis, more to consider there.
That setup is very portable and compact. Very interesting.
Seems the standalone are the popular way to go which was what I was thinking of doing.

I take it you are not doing any printing of the pics, just saving them to file and giving them to the clients?

Oct 06, 2015 at 04:46 PM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

The size I setup is really dependent on venue. I just used it this past weekend, and we only had room for a 50" wide backdrop (a roll of grey paper). But I also have a 12 ft wide backdrop, though typically I haven't actually set the camera to have more than 6 feet or so of view on the background, and that still allows for huge groups of people. Having it on a magic arm makes it real flexible (though may be overkill- a cheap ballhead would have probably done the trick but I already had the magic arm).

Generally I tell people a 4ft wide and 6ft deep area is "good enough," but the more space they set aside, the more they can fit in one picture at a time. I usually fix focus a few feet in front of the background and set to f5.6 or f8 on the D7000 I have sitting inside. I've found most groups tend to sway closer to the booth than farther and this typically covers most groups.

I like your idea of connecting the booth to a table somehow- I supply a props package and always have a table for that anyway; it would add stability to connect it all together. Also another thought for you- the next booth I build will not have a flat top. Everybody tends to leave drinks there. Never actually had one spill, but the next booth I build will have a slanted top.

I have considered at some points "upgrading" the light to larger strobe with an umbrella, but the more I thought about it the more I decided it wasn't worth it. The light in my pics has a slight edge to it that I like, and it's really good for such a cheap ass strobe. Everything for the booth itself fits into a single duffel bag with my current setup. Then one tub of props and maybe background stands if I need to set one up.

Keep in mind you'll probably need f5.6-f8 to get enough play in your DOF to accommodate big groups, so that might need a pretty powerful LED panel (though maybe yours is if it's for warehouse lighting). You could maybe use a larger f-stop if you mark on the floor where people should stand, but I find directions are usually ignored haha..... my booth takes 4 pictures, and it says so in huge letters across the screen when it starts, but some people are still surprised when the 2nd flash comes around.

Oct 06, 2015 at 04:57 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

More stray comments from the peanut gallery...

When I first became aware of photobooths I didn't get it.

Then about a year and a half ago I was throwing a retirement party at the studio for a coworker and last minute decided to set something up. I was surprised and delighted by how much fun people had with it. I guess it's like selfies on steroids.

Then in June, I agreed to shoot my one and only wedding to date for a family member and asked if they wanted a photobooth. It was great entertainment for bystanders at least as the subjects tried in vain to get the infrared remote to trigger the camera. It only popped about 10% of the time so most of the shots are of confused people staring at the remote pushing harder and harder on the button. I was too busy shooting the reception to be able to tend to it so I had to comfort myself with the reminder they were still getting their "money's" worth.

Anyway, charming story aside, I was sort of intrigued by the Vanity Fair party photobooth I ran across some time back.

...the idea of having a three panel backdrop when space is limited and people need to crunch in - and frankly just the concept of "forcing" them to press more closely together than they might otherwise could make for good cuddly poses;

...and the Vanity Fair logo on the backdrop - obviously replaced by the couple's names seemed a pretty fun idea.

Not a universal solution I'm sure, but I thought it interesting nonetheless.

Kris, Francis, thanks for taking the time to share. Very informative.

Regards,

Chuck

Oct 06, 2015 at 08:02 PM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

Selfies on steroids is a perfect way to describe it.

Every time we have a photobooth it is wildly popular. From the 8 to the 80 year olds.

We also upload the photos to our Facebook page in an album as they are taken (or we do it as soon as we get back home if we were deep in the woods without Internet access). This allows people to tag themselves and share the album, which gets you Facebook likes and traffic, on top of far reaching exposure. And it's free!

We used to print with a thermal printer we rented but we noticed a lot of people were throwing away the prints, which didn't look fantastic anyway. I once dragged my Epson 3880 and printed 5x7 but it was too slow and a pain in the ass to haul around.

So we stopped offering print by default (its available as an add on but people never take it) and dropped the price a bit but kept even more profit and 9 out of 10 weddings they book a photobooth. Instead of printing we upload to Facebook for people to keep them and we also deliver all photos on their wedding DVD alongside everything else so B&G can email people a high res file if they wish.

Oct 06, 2015 at 09:17 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

What's the reasoning behind on-site printing? Surely most people would rather a digital copy, even if it's low-res and watermarked.

Oct 07, 2015 at 08:15 AM
sherijohnson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

FrancisK7 wrote:
So I researched the shit out of this last Spring because I began offering a photobooth add-on this Summer. The photobooth has been wildly successful every night and I am really happy with the result.

You can go the DIY route (my favorite) or buy an all-in solution like this:
http://www.photoboothsupplyco.com/shop/

It was made quickly apparent to me that
1- the retail options were really expensive
2- all the products I was seeing used stuff I already had in the studio for the most part

Hardware:
- C-Stand (already had it)
- Three Standbags
- Tether tools articulating arms (2) and other gadgets (biggest expense)
- Surface Pro 3 tablet
...Show more

I like that sleek camera bracket (or whatever you call it), would love to know where to get something like that I have been using a tripod, but the footprint of course takes up a lot of space and people bump it which messes up the pictures if no one notices the pics are off center, which most don't notice

Oct 07, 2015 at 08:24 AM
Mr Kris
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

ZachOly wrote:
What's the reasoning behind on-site printing? Surely most people would rather a digital copy, even if it's low-res and watermarked.

I guess around here the print is assumed. And I think it's a rarity to have a non-digital form of anything these days.... people seem genuinely excited to pass around the prints that come out of my booth. I see them propped up on tables during the event, and at the end of the night, it's rare to see any that are forgotten at the tables, so I think people really appreciate them.

I do provide the files to the clients and mass upload low res files to a private part of my website where event guests can download them.

Oct 07, 2015 at 08:48 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

sherijohnson wrote:
I like that sleek camera bracket (or whatever you call it), would love to know where to get something like that I have been using a tripod, but the footprint of course takes up a lot of space and people bump it which messes up the pictures if no one notices the pics are off center, which most don't notice

www.tethertools.com/product/rock-solid-master-articulating-arm-clamp-kit/

www.tethertools.com/product/camera-platform/

there you go

Oct 07, 2015 at 09:20 AM
tsilva

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

Don't know if these will help, but maybe you will get a couple of ideas -

http://youtu.be/qLkHWtdPhis

http://youtu.be/KxZM4vF-ths

Oct 07, 2015 at 11:05 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

Thanks for all the input and suggestions so far.

I have read the posts, checked the links, thought about the different layouts and confused myself thoroughly. :0)

What I think I would like at this stage is a classic booth setup that can be also used as a freestanding model.
I'm thinking a box to house the computer, printer and camera that I can sit and screw on the end of a 6Ft folding table. On the top of the box my idea is to have a rail 4ft wide which would connect to the side rails which have a curtain and go back to the background panel which would be the back wall.
For Lighting I'm thinking one of my big LED panels buuuut, maybe a flash would be a whole load easier.

The hard part for me will be building a box that looks neat to house it all in. I might go to Ikea and see what they have in the way of cabinets or I might just go to a Kitchen place and have one made.
I was thinking for the back panel to use steel square tube that you can get plastic corners for so I can break it all down to transport and would still be strong, I could use fabric for the back wall or Corflute which I could fold to transport.

I did think of the top of the box being used for a shelf which is where having the light on top would be handy to make it too tall and I was also going to make a "Wedge" out of corflute which I would attach with velcro to stop the tall people putting stuff up there.

The software and setup that way sure is the easy part!

Oct 08, 2015 at 07:48 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

A flash + the biggest umbrella you can find will make WAY better light than any reasonably priced LED panel, freeze action better, be more powerful, and allow for less squinting.

I used to use a PCB ABR800 Ringlight into on of their "moon" soft boxes. Camera either wired to a computer + lightroom, or wirelessly sending to an iPad. Remote release for them to push. Simple, effective, fun.

http://www.mikevillavisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Swagtac-038.jpg

http://www.mikevillavisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Swagtac-148.jpg

http://www.mikevillavisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Swagtac-420.jpg

http://www.mikevillavisuals.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Swagtac-1054.jpg

Oct 12, 2015 at 01:26 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

The panel I was intending using was anything but reasonably Priced, which may have been it's downfall. The thing is a monster and in my trials. it's clearly too intense for the job. Great lighting, just fries your eyeballs and makes you squint as you said.

I thought about a couple of those screw in jobs either side of the lens. I won't have time to get them for the shake down job so I'll just use one of my studio heads with a brolly. I might have a look on fleabay for some small heads to use for this as I don't like using my good stuff on jobs like this.

I have built the box and am in the process of fitting it all out. I was thinking of putting a couple of round ceiling down lights at the front of the box so I don't have to run the modeling lamp in the head all the time and if I go to those little lights, they don't have anything anyway.

So far so good, Now I just have to finish the metal framework to hang the curtains and backdrops off. Was up the back today and found I had more than sufficent 25mm sq. tube for that so I'll make the frame 4 ft wide and about 7 ft long but i'll do it so I can also expand that by putting on extra lengths to make it bigger if required. I'll whip out the plasma cutter and MIG welder tomorrow and get that done then the mrs can organise me some curtains.

Oct 16, 2015 at 05:21 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

Was editing a wedding just now and found a photo my assistant took where you see the whole setup with prop table, projector and screen, etc.

http://www.fk7photo.com/fm/photobooth/JLC_7161.jpg

Oct 17, 2015 at 12:33 AM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Photobooths - suggestions, advise and reccomendations Please!

I like your "Booth" setup for weddings.
I think the small and Minimalist model is great for these. I am building my setup to be either a traditional booth or a free stander.
I'm thinking of promoting these as they seem to be so popular. I was talking to someone the other day who said they tried to book one and everyone said they were flat out. There seems to be a few people doing them but maybe there is still an unfulfilled demand.

If I can offer a small setup like yours, a freestanding boxed arrangement, a traditional booth and a portable studio with Photographer, I should have the market covered.
If I did start getting some call on these things, I'd probably build a modular full size booth. I'd have to transport that in a trailer but would be well worth it for the money these things get.

Seems like there will be another family event coming up soon which is good because the more I can shake these things down the better.
That said and with no modesty at all, I have never done any of these things that didn't work before. First corporate Greenscreen I did I practiced for all of about 20 Min with my daughter and that worked fine. Same with event View stations etc. The technology is so good now even a Muppet like me can sort it first time out. :0)

PS, What is your backdrop?
It looks the right style for the current theme of these things.

Oct 17, 2015 at 02:54 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.