Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Tanzania... Big Cats

parebalo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tanzania... Big Cats

Greetings all! here are a few of my favorite Cats from our Serengeti/Tarengeri Safari. Although we were suppose to be very much in the dry season, it probably rained 75% of the time we were there, but the muted light was helpful at times.

The 8 lion in the grass was a most interesting scenario to watch unfold. Very long story short, we had been observing this pride for the better part of 1 hour, sleeping lazily under a tree, around mid-day. We knew there was at least 1 lioness out and about in the tall grass. Without too much notice, mom lioness calls them all to their feet and off they marched, until reaching this small mound some 200 yards away. They were fixated on 2 of their pride, stalking a mature zebra which we could not see at the time. The mound pose only lasted a few seconds before the kill occurred, and they all bounded away in great haste. The full grown zebra was totally consumed in 20 minutes.

Comments and critiques always welcome FM'ers.... Peter

© parebalo 2015

© parebalo 2015

© parebalo 2015

© parebalo 2015

© parebalo 2015

Oct 04, 2015 at 11:20 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tanzania... Big Cats

Excellent set Peter. The third and fourth are my picks for how the cats look in the environment

Morris

Oct 04, 2015 at 12:32 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tanzania... Big Cats

Excellent set Peter, well done. #3 is just fab
David

Oct 04, 2015 at 02:31 PM
parebalo
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tanzania... Big Cats

morris wrote:
Excellent set Peter. The third and fourth are my picks for how the cats look in the environment

Morris

Thank you again Morris. I agree with you on your choices as well. I could not have moved those lion into a better position if I had hand positioned them. I managed to catch at least 1 eye from each of them. Well, except for the one lurking in the background. Peter

Oct 04, 2015 at 03:33 PM
parebalo
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tanzania... Big Cats

David Leask wrote:
Excellent set Peter, well done. #3 is just fab
David

Thank you David! I certainly would never want to be on the receiving end of a pride stare down like this one! Peter

Oct 04, 2015 at 03:37 PM
lowside67
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Tanzania... Big Cats

I agree that while all are nice, #3 is the real treasure, I'd be printing that!! Did you crop it at all, ie any possibility of re-composing to improve the balance of sky to foreground?

Mark

Oct 04, 2015 at 04:13 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Tanzania... Big Cats

a very nice set Peter

Oct 04, 2015 at 05:51 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Tanzania... Big Cats

Very nicely done Peter. 3 and 5 stand out ~ Ron

Oct 04, 2015 at 06:59 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Tanzania... Big Cats

Love the third and the leopard as well....I might consider cropping out the last lion that is hidden in the grass on the far right but that is just my opinion for what that's worth.
Eric

Oct 04, 2015 at 09:08 PM
parebalo
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Tanzania... Big Cats

lowside67 wrote:
I agree that while all are nice, #3 is the real treasure, I'd be printing that!! Did you crop it at all, ie any possibility of re-composing to improve the balance of sky to foreground?

Mark

Thanks very much Mark for your comments and suggestions! That lion photo is already cropped and that was about the best I could do with the composition without making the aspect ratio to wide. I will play around with it to see if I can come up with something that improves the overall balance. Peter

Oct 04, 2015 at 10:24 PM
parebalo
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Tanzania... Big Cats

kmunroe wrote:
a very nice set Peter

Thanks! Peter

Oct 04, 2015 at 10:25 PM
parebalo
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Tanzania... Big Cats

surfnron wrote:
Very nicely done Peter. 3 and 5 stand out ~ Ron

Appreciate your positive feedback Ron! Peter

Oct 04, 2015 at 10:26 PM
parebalo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Tanzania... Big Cats

eyelaser wrote:
Love the third and the leopard as well....I might consider cropping out the last lion that is hidden in the grass on the far right but that is just my opinion for what that's worth.
Eric

Thanks Eric! I had considered cropping out the far right Lion to aid in the overall composition, but I did like the sense of drama that it added to the photo. I guess there's nothing wrong with having 2 different versions!

Peter

Oct 04, 2015 at 10:28 PM
mikedec
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Tanzania... Big Cats

Superb work on these.

Oct 04, 2015 at 11:12 PM
parebalo
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Tanzania... Big Cats

mikedec wrote:
Superb work on these.

Thanks for you positive words!. I'm always humbled by the exceptionally great photos I see here, and it inspires me to improve my skills. Peter

Oct 05, 2015 at 09:57 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Tanzania... Big Cats

Wonderful set Peter.

Oct 05, 2015 at 10:02 PM
bladesofgrass
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Tanzania... Big Cats

Excellent, 3 and 4 are my picks. I really like the 2nd cheetah just melting into the landscape.

Oct 05, 2015 at 10:13 PM
parebalo
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Tanzania... Big Cats

bladesofgrass wrote:
Excellent, 3 and 4 are my picks. I really like the 2nd cheetah just melting into the landscape.

Thanks very much! That melting Cheetah was one of her cubs, the second cub is out of the frame to the left, leading the way.

Interesting back story to this photo.... moments later, the lead cub literally stumbles right upon 2 lion snoozing under a tree. The cub bolts away very quickly away and is soon out of touch with mom. Mom is quick to alert that the lead cub picked up on the lion, and now she's and her other cub are scampering in the opposite direction. Once she was at a safe distance from the lion, she started to "bark" for her other cub. I have heard this bark many times on a variety of nature shows, and always thought, how far can that sound travel..... it seemed so insignificant. Well, let me tell you.... When she was barking directly at our vehicle, and a good 40 years away, the sound was almost ear piercing. When she directed her call in a different direction, it was much less noticeable. The high frequency sound was/is very directional and the "lost" cub quickly reunited with Mom after picking up on her barking. It was a most interesting series of events which unfolded before us, and certainly gave me an enlightened appreciation for the Cheetah's bark. Peter

Oct 05, 2015 at 10:43 PM
parebalo
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Tanzania... Big Cats

louie champan wrote:
Wonderful set Peter.

Thanks very much Louie! Very happy you liked them.... Peter

Oct 05, 2015 at 10:45 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Tanzania... Big Cats

All great and I would not crop #3 one iota.

Tony

Oct 05, 2015 at 10:57 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.