Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Canon mark iii football

Caldwellsandi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon mark iii football

Can anyone share what settings you use with mark iii when shooting high school football?

Oct 04, 2015 at 10:31 AM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon mark iii football

I used film cameras, 1D, 1D II. 5D II and now the 5D III and I use the same settings for shooting under dismal HS lights at night. Minimum 1/500th sec.--faster if possible, but 1/500th is pretty decent, aperture wide open using a 300 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8. AI Servo. AWB. jpegs since I'm always on tight deadlines and transmitting from the field.

I keep fiddling with focus points--sometimes using one center point, sometimes with a nine-cross-point matrix with the 5D III raised up to around the player's faces (don't know if the 1D III does this.) ISO 1600-3200 generally.

These are my base settings for all sports except tennis, where I make sure to shoot at 1/1000th sec. minimum.

Oct 04, 2015 at 01:52 PM
Caldwellsandi

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon mark iii football

Thanks for your reply. I'm having trouble on deciding on case 2 or case 4 as I don't know what options I should set once at that menu? Which case do you use? Thanks

Oct 04, 2015 at 02:30 PM
jclark319
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon mark iii football

Case?? What settings menu and number are you looking at?

My settings are similar to hotdog12. I try not to get under 640 on the shutter but he is right with 500 being about as low as you need to go if possible to not go lower.

Oct 04, 2015 at 02:42 PM
Caldwellsandi

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon mark iii football

Looking under the af settings on 5d mark lll

Oct 04, 2015 at 04:10 PM
Peter Jonas

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon mark iii football

The description of case 2 seems like it would be great for football, but I have had terrible results with it. I use case 4 or case 1. This has been posted before, but Peter Reed Miller's article on the sports settings he uses with the 1 DX can almost all be used with the 5d mark III: http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2678 I found this article very helpful.

Oct 04, 2015 at 05:32 PM
Caldwellsandi

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon mark iii football

Thank you!

Oct 04, 2015 at 06:10 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.