Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Looking for a better action body.

Tapeman
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for a better action body.

I am thinking that I would like to replace my 5D MKII with something better for action shots.
I also own a 1D MK IV which I typically mount my longest lens on, but the MKII has been used as my second camera with something shorter.

I shoot a variety of subjects more wildlife than anything else. Also I'm planning on getting a 100-400 for it to go on the new body with my 500 mounted on the 1D IV.

5D MK IIIs seem to be priced pretty reasonably now.

What are your suggestions?

Oct 03, 2015 at 05:31 PM
Phantom Medic
• • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for a better action body.

7D MK II

Oct 03, 2015 at 05:35 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for a better action body.

I kind of like having one of my bodies being full frame.

Oct 03, 2015 at 05:54 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for a better action body.

If you've liked the 5DII, don't discount the 5DIII; the revamped autofocus system is eons beyond its predecessor, with the 61 point array and increased accuracy...frames per second is still marginal (6 fps I believe), but that can often be plenty...additional add-ons I've appreciated are the built-in level (not very applicable for your wildlife shooting, I know), the in-camera HDR (ditto), and the MUCH better ISO handling (there's a plus for wildlife)...

I used and loved the 5DIII/1DIV combination for a while, and often wished I still had the APS-H censored 1DIV...
I've never used the 7DII, and can't speak of it with any knowledge, but you may find yourself missing that full-frame goodness somewhere down the road...

Since it is a few thousand dollar investment, consider renting one before you decide; I don't think I've ever made a significant purchase without renting first, and I've always felt more sure of my choices afterward...
Good luck, and have fun..
Jerry

edit: I think I missed the last sentence of your original post; of course you're considering (and not discounting) the 5DIII...

Oct 03, 2015 at 05:58 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for a better action body.

I agree with Jerry. The 1d4 & 5d3 make a good combo giving both a crop and a FF. I shot with them for 3 years and was very happy with them. I sold the 1d4 but haven't been able to part with the 5d3.

Oct 03, 2015 at 07:19 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for a better action body.

In my experience only the center point of the autofocus has much of a chance with moving subjects. (5DII)

While I will use my 1D4 as my primary body I am hoping my second body will be good with a 100-400 II

Oct 03, 2015 at 07:21 PM
Phantom Medic
• • •
[X]
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Looking for a better action body.

You said action and at this time that would a very good choice. I will leave it there since I don't want to start a futile debate of crop vs full frame....

Edited on Oct 03, 2015 at 08:05 PM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2015 at 07:30 PM
Tenn.Jer
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Looking for a better action body.

I had great success shooting indoor swimming with the 5DIII before I traded my 1DIV in on the newer 1DX, mainly for the increased low-light ability. I'd begun to choose it over the 1DIV because the swim gyms are usually so poorly lit.
I loved my 5DII, but I only ever used the center point to focus; when I got the newer III, I was amazed and delighted at the difference, bouncing the focus point back and forth all over the frame - I was downright giddy! I still think it's one of the best all-round cameras Canon has ever produced...

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I'm just remembering how I felt when I upgraded from the 5DII to the 5DIII, and just had to rave a little...
Jerry

Oct 03, 2015 at 07:52 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Looking for a better action body.

These have a proven record of Action Shots

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/images/Graflex-Crown-Graphic.jpg

Oct 03, 2015 at 08:04 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Looking for a better action body.

I used my 5d3 for everything prior to adding a 1d4. I still use it often for basketball and night fb. You commented that you shoot a variety of subjects and I agree with above that it is a great "does everything" body.

Oct 03, 2015 at 08:31 PM
Phantom Medic
• • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Looking for a better action body.

scalesusa wrote:
These have a proven record of Action Shots

http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/images/Graflex-Crown-Graphic.jpg

Thats a beauty.

Oct 03, 2015 at 08:44 PM
hotdog12
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Looking for a better action body.

I owned two 5D II bodies for several years and loved them, but switched to the 5D III bodies when my work changed and I needed to start shooting action. HUGE difference! The image quality of the 5D III is identical to the 5D II, but the auto focus, frames per second and tracking is light years superior.

The 5D III also has a very handy "quiet" shooting mode, better build quality and weather sealing. The SD slot is semi-crippled, so a lot of pros only use the CF slot. Low light sensitivity is about two stops better. I've shot sports at ISO 6400 that looks really nice.

Truly one of the finest cameras ever made, and relatively dirt cheap these days.

Oct 04, 2015 at 02:09 PM
dreamfields

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Looking for a better action body.

I am currently shooting a 5DIII and a 7DII. The 7DII is a far better action camera IMHO. But the 5DIII as a second body has gotten me some nice shots as well. However I will be adding a second 7DII when finances permit. It is that good for sports, and 95% of my shooting is 3-5 high school sports assignments a week as a stringer for our local paper.

A good friend that has his nature work published nationally on a regular basis got rid of his 1DIV and picked up a second 7DII. A 5DIII rounds out his body selection. His 600II, 100-400II, and 70-200II are his go to lenses.

Have fun with what ever you end up with and Happy Shooting!

Oct 04, 2015 at 08:15 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Looking for a better action body.

Why is nobody recommending the 1DX ?

I don't have one yet but I know from my experience with Nikon cameras that you will enjoy the extra usable dynamic range that can be captured at middle and high ISO with the 1DX, which has similar performance. It is way better than the 1D4. Plus it seems to have all of the mod cons except very high pixel count. i.e. great AF system, fast shooting, very flexible configuration, etc., etc.

I'll be getting a 1DX before long to replace my 1D4 if I can get my computers to keep on working. I don't need a new camera if the computers won't work, but the 1DX has an ISO/DR performance much like the Nikon D3s and that makes it very, very good for shooting in poor light or in the shadows where a lot of wildlife is to be found. It's even better in good light but not as good as the Nikon D810 at low ISO. I expect the 1DX2 will address that but it will cost more too.

Having extra DR is not to be underestimated. It allows cleaner shadow details to be captured with less (or no) need for detail-robbing noise reduction. This is great for revealing animal fur, bird feathers, etc. in wildlife shots. YMMV but in my experience most wild animals are not out in the direct sunlight waiting to be photographed.

- Alan

Oct 04, 2015 at 11:39 PM
IndyFab
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Looking for a better action body.

Wait for the new 5DIV, replacing the 5DIII, they have been reducing the 5DIII, which is a sign that someting new may be on the horizon. My ed-ja-macted guess is, it will be something between the 5DIII and the new 5DS/R

Oct 04, 2015 at 11:55 PM
collicuttl

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Looking for a better action body.

I shoot lots of sports. My main camera is the 7d2 paired with the 100-400 II. It's a lovely setup if you don't want to invest in the top of the line 1dx/400 2.8 tried and true. I also carry a 5dIII with a 24-105 for wider crowd/fan shots. The 5diii comes in handy when shooting at night under crappy lights where I'd have to push the 7d2 ISO too high using the 100-400 II. In those situations I put the 7d2/100-400 away and mount my 70-200 2.8 on the 5diii. It's not as fast shooting (fps) as the 7d2 but it's decent and handles high ISO much better. The AF works almost as good as the 7d2.

Oct 13, 2015 at 11:03 AM
gqllc007
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Looking for a better action body.

collicuttl wrote:
I shoot lots of sports. My main camera is the 7d2 paired with the 100-400 II. It's a lovely setup if you don't want to invest in the top of the line 1dx/400 2.8 tried and true. I also carry a 5dIII with a 24-105 for wider crowd/fan shots. The 5diii comes in handy when shooting at night under crappy lights where I'd have to push the 7d2 ISO too high using the 100-400 II. In those situations I put the 7d2/100-400 away and mount my 70-200 2.8 on the 5diii. It's not as fast shooting (fps) as the 7d2
...Show more
Ditto for me. This is exactly what I do

Oct 13, 2015 at 02:32 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Looking for a better action body.

I just got the 100-400 II and may add a body before going to Austin TX for the Grand Prix the end of the month.

Conceivably I would have the 100-400 on my 1D4 and my 24-105 on a 5D3, probably good enough if I have good light.

Oct 13, 2015 at 09:44 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Looking for a better action body.

For night football games at our poorly lit field, I use a 1Dx with a 70-200 IS II, and a 7D2 with a 200 f2 IS for the sideline. I've been pretty happy with the 7D2 up to 5000 ISO and even to 6400 when necessary. I also use a 5D3 with a 24-70 f2.8 II for a wider view.

For day games I just take the 7D2 with the 100-400 II and it does great. I can get some pretty tight shots with that combo. Day games for the most part this time of year are middle school and youth football. If you generally have decent light I wouldn't discount the 7D2. It even has a few features I wish my 1Dx had.

Oct 13, 2015 at 10:41 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Looking for a better action body.

NCAndy wrote:
I wouldn't discount the 7D2. It even has a few features I wish my 1Dx had.

Such as ?

I recall being peeved that the 1D4 did not have the convenient implementation of using small AF sensors that the 7D already had. Instead of fixing that design flaw in a firmware update they expected 1D4 owners to buy another new pro camera at top dollar. On the 1D4 the reduced AF sensor size is only available with the high-end lenses that have the AF buttons on them, whereas with the 7D you can select the feature in-camera for use with every lens.

I'd resist buying a 1DX if it also lacks something similarly useful that the next model does have.

Oct 17, 2015 at 03:35 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.