New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2015 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

A new patent has appeared for the Canon 58mm f/1.4... L? If they make this lens, I'm switching back to Canon.

My Nikon 58mm f/1.4G has been my favorite of all time, ever. For weddings, it's my bread and butter lens.

Thoughts?

Oct 03, 2015 at 01:32 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

It will probably be a very fine lens, but there is nothing magic about 58 or 1.4 or G or L or Canon or Nikon.

Oct 03, 2015 at 01:41 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

Monito wrote:
It will probably be a very fine lens, but there is nothing magic about 58 or 1.4 or G or L or Canon or Nikon.

The whole point is, I want to switch to Canon because if it's color; I shoot people. Nikon is a no-go for skin tones. And the 58mm will just give me a reason to switch. Also, I miss the 135L.

Give me a dual 1Dx with 35LII, 58L, 135L and i'll set for life.

Oct 03, 2015 at 01:53 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

Elijah wrote:
The whole point is, I want to switch to Canon because if it's color; I shoot people. Nikon is a no-go for skin tones. And the 58mm will just give me a reason to switch. Also, I miss the 135L. Give me a dual 1Dx with 35LII, 58L, 135L and i'll set for life.

Switch already. You don't need a 58 L to switch. Either the 50 1.2 or the 1.4 might be less than perfect, but you will get the skin colour, and they are very good lenses. Even the new 50 f/1.8 STM is a very good lens.

Why live with a "no-go" for photographing people when that is what you do -- photograph people? It makes no sense at all.

There are also other lenses in that range for you to choose from: Zeiss, Otus, Milvus, Sigma Art, ....

You can even mount the Nikkor 58 1.4G on a Canon camera of your choice and use Live View, depending on the particular portrait, especially if they are sitting portraits, or standing with a bicycle like the one of your wife. But since you specify 1D-X, I guess you want the AutoFocus.

Well you can have AF-ed lovely skin tones or AF-ed no-go skin tones. You've made your choice between those two, though I find it impossible to understand.

Oct 03, 2015 at 02:09 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

A 58/1.4L done up like the 35/1.4L II would quickly find many homes and not many shelves to sit on.

Oct 03, 2015 at 02:33 PM
Tom_W
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

This would throw a wrench in the works as I seem to have progressed on having a collection of 50 mm lenses.

Kidding aside, it's a rather interesting focal length. Not that much different than a 50, but perhaps enough to change things up just a little bit.

Oct 03, 2015 at 02:38 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

Monito wrote:
Switch already. You don't need a 58 L to switch. Either the 50 1.2 or the 1.4 might be less than perfect, but you will get the skin colour, and they are very good lenses. Even the new 50 f/1.8 STM is a very good lens.

Why live with a "no-go" for photographing people when that is what you do -- photograph people? It makes no sense at all.

There are also other lenses in that range for you to choose from: Zeiss, Otus, Milvus, Sigma Art, ....

You can even mount the Nikkor 58 1.4G on a Canon camera of your choice
...Show more

You got me thinking. For the 50th time.

Oct 03, 2015 at 02:38 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

Tom_W wrote:
This would throw a wrench in the works as I seem to have progressed on having a collection of 50 mm lenses.

Kidding aside, it's a rather interesting focal length. Not that much different than a 50, but perhaps enough to change things up just a little bit.

It's something between a 50 and 85... a bread and butter for wedding photographers!!

Oct 03, 2015 at 02:39 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

Do people still put butter on bread? Probably avocado and yogurt for wedding photographers would be more healthy.

Oct 03, 2015 at 03:03 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

Monito wrote:

You can even mount the Nikkor 58 1.4G on a Canon camera of your choice
...Show more

That is a great idea!

Elijah -- Switch now -- it's only getting better with each release Canon makes. I like Nikon too, but for portraits and dreamy subjects, Canon has to be considered tops in gear and "look".

Who's the Russian woman who photographs her kids primarily with the 135L and 50L? Amazing work!

Personally, I like the 50L just fine using the center point for AF. The look is great. But I can see a 58mm update for it.

A 58L would open a little needed space if there is ever to be a new 45 TSE II unveiled. Then you'd have the 35LII, 45TSE II, 58L, 85LII and (maybe) 135L IS. Since you are in that deep, you might as well put a cherry on it with the 200/2L IS. Whoa, that sounds amazing! And doable!

Oct 03, 2015 at 03:04 PM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

The Nikon 58 was generally panned but a few people really liked its rendering (it also is a nice focal length with aps-c sensor).

Oct 03, 2015 at 04:00 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

mogul wrote:
The Nikon 58 was generally panned but a few people really liked its rendering (it also is a nice focal length with aps-c sensor).

It's panned for not being 'sharper', but it wasn't designed to be, wide open. It's very, very sharp stopped down (Nikon's sharpest, like Canon's 50/1.4 USM), and it's control of aberrations other than LoCA at wider apertures is impressive for a lens that renders so well.

It's also relatively small and light.

Oct 03, 2015 at 04:23 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

Elijah wrote:
A new patent has appeared for the Canon 58mm f/1.4... L? If they make this lens, I'm switching back to Canon.

My Nikon 58mm f/1.4G has been my favorite of all time, ever. For weddings, it's my bread and butter lens.

Thoughts?

My thoughts would be you're insane to switch brands for one lens when you already have that equivalent lens and you love it.

Oct 03, 2015 at 06:54 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
My thoughts would be you're insane to switch brands for one lens when you already have that equivalent lens and you love it.

You completely missed my point. I wanted to switch BACK for a while now but some Nikon lenses held me back. 58mm will just give me more reason to switch sooner. But the wedding season is killing me.

Oct 03, 2015 at 09:20 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

Is it colors or the wedding season that's killing you?

Oct 04, 2015 at 11:23 AM
petr vokurek
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

I would be bying the 1,4/58mm straigt away. And if someone wanted to give me a pair of 1dx´s to go with it I wouldn´t mind at all:-)) Until such time I´ll just use my 50+85mm and 5d III + 1ds III...

Oct 04, 2015 at 12:32 PM

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

Tampon 45 VC on a 1D and I'm at 58 with a thousand in my pocket.

Oct 04, 2015 at 12:50 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

It all depends of which sorts of bread and butter you prefer...

Oct 04, 2015 at 01:11 PM
MayaTlab
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

I've always disliked longish 50s (55, 58), but I don't care at all if Canon releases this lens as long as I get a 45mm f2 IS USM, although that's very unlikely .

I don't get why, today, we don't see more lenses on the shorter side of 50mm (40-48mm range) other than pancakes. For some reason for all lens manufacturers (bar Tamron), you're lucky if you get a lens between 40 and 45mm, and even if you get one, most of the time it's a (sometimes excellent) pancake. Why nobody seems to take this focal range "seriously", I don't know.

Regarding the OP's concerns, I think it isn't because this patent shares specifications with the Nikon lens that it will render the same. I believe it's been a while since we've seen a lens from Canon that strived first for the kind of rendering the Nikon 58mm seems to go for.

Oct 04, 2015 at 01:44 PM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Canon 58mm f/1.4L?

MayaTlab wrote:
I've always disliked longish 50s (55, 58), but I don't care at all if Canon releases this lens as long as I get a 45mm f2 IS USM, although that's very unlikely .

I don't get why, today, we don't see more lenses on the shorter side of 50mm (40-48mm range) other than pancakes. For some reason for all lens manufacturers (bar Tamron), you're lucky if you get a lens between 40 and 45mm, and even if you get one, most of the time it's a (sometimes excellent) pancake. Why nobody seems to take this focal range "seriously", I don't know.
...Show more

The Sigma 50 1.4 HSM (not Art) has been reported to have a true focal length of about 46 mm.

One reason why it makes sense with 55-58 mm lenses in addition to 50 mm, is that the gap from 50 mm to the next common prime focal length, 85 mm, is relatively large. 85/50 is more than 50/35.

Another reason why it makes sense with a 58 mm lens, is that it is easier to design for the 35 mm format than 50 mm. I don't remember exactly how, but optical experts have explained it here some years ago. One example of that is the CV Nokton 58 1.4 SL. A very good performer, clearly better that its 50 mm cousins from the same era.

It would be cool with a 42 mm f/1.2 lens though

Oct 04, 2015 at 01:57 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.