New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Seattle and surroundings

viczig
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Seattle and surroundings

I'll be in Seattle for 1 1/2 weeks in early November and I'm looking for advice on locations in Seattle and day trips outside of the city.

Also would it be worthwhile to head out to the Palouse for a few days at that time of the year?

Thanks

Vic

Oct 03, 2015 at 01:31 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Seattle and surroundings

the palouse is a bit of a drive from seattle. I think you would be better off going to olympic national park. you can take a ferry to port angeles and then drive from there, or drive south from seattle to olympia and then on to onp.

Oct 04, 2015 at 10:08 AM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Seattle and surroundings

Thanks Dustin

Oct 04, 2015 at 10:47 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Seattle and surroundings

Palouse in November is not terribly pretty either... If it were Spring or summer, absolutely. Late fall, not so much.

You could try your luck around Rainier or St Helens, and Multnomah falls or Mt hood are not that far. Haystack might be a good or a miserable option depending on the weather.

Paul

Oct 05, 2015 at 10:45 PM
cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Seattle and surroundings

We have been to Seattle only once, so not too familiar with the area. Also not sure about landscape opportunities in the area (well, except for Snoqualmie Falls).

Here is a short photo blog post we wrote with a few shots from our visit about two years ago. Captions tell where the pictures are taken:
http://blog.nourifyphotography.com/2013/06/30/seattle-visit/

Oct 06, 2015 at 07:37 PM
kwilliam8
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Seattle and surroundings

Vic,

I hate to say it, but November is probably *the* worst weather month of the year in Seattle. In normal years, it is the wettest and stormiest (wind and rain) month. Now this year, with El Nino going on, the long term forecast says warmer than normal, and slightly drier than normal, for both the fall and winter. So, who knows. Just don't count on reasonable weather for photography. Feel lucky if it turns out otherwise.

There is a small book titled "The Photographer's Guide to Puget Sound & Northwest Washington", which is pretty darn good, in my opinion. It does not cover eastern Washington (e.g., the Palouse). If you are free and have a day of good weather, head to Paradise at Mount Rainier (and don't do this if the weather is bad). Take a ferry across the sound (e.g., Seattle to Bremerton) one afternoon. Feel free to shoot me a PM with specific questions, if that would help.

Keith W.

Oct 19, 2015 at 06:28 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Seattle and surroundings

Birds in the Skagit Valley are well worth a visit — snow geese, trumpeter swans, eagles.

Oct 19, 2015 at 08:34 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Seattle and surroundings

Birds in the Skagit Valley are well worth a visit — snow geese, trumpeter swans, eagles.

Oct 19, 2015 at 08:34 PM
viczig
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Seattle and surroundings

Thanks for all the tips.

Vic

Oct 23, 2015 at 04:34 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.