New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2015 · Win 10 and background color space

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Win 10 and background color space

I am having trouble displaying screensavers under Win 10. The problem is almost certainly linked to color space and results in an oversaturated image being displayed.

I have been making screen savers at native resolution (1920x1200) and usually with the monitor calibration profile created under Spectraview. The profile name starts with LCD26089WUXi ----

When I calibrate the monitor, Spectraviw automatically sets this and if I look in color management, I see this ICC profile listed as the current profile.

If I choose a file in my screensaver folder, the windows photo viewer displays it properly. But when I set it as background, it becomes overly saturated.

I recently tried changing the color profile to sRGB and get the same results.

In previous versions of Windows from XP through Win 7, the properties of my screensavers showed the custom profle, but now it says uncalibrated unless it is sRGB. I also tried aRGB and it too shows as uncalibrated.

Edited on Oct 06, 2015 at 07:25 PM · View previous versions

Oct 03, 2015 at 09:02 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Win 10 and background color space

Nobody else has this problem? I am currently using sRGB for screensavers and when viewing in Windows photo viewer, they are fine, but not screensaver or desktop background. I Googled it and found that some versions of Windows screensaver are not color managed. Could not find info on Win 10.

Maybe there is another way to save as background?

Oct 05, 2015 at 12:29 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Win 10 and background color space

I have not used a screensaver in over ten years. The best way to save an LCD is for it to turn off.

EBH

Oct 05, 2015 at 08:28 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Win 10 and background color space

EB-1 wrote:
I have not used a screensaver in over ten years. The best way to save an LCD is for it to turn off.

EBH

I am probably using the wrong term, wallpaper is probably the correct term. Mine goes to sleep in about 10 minutes, But i like to have the nest image I intend to print as wallpaper to get a feel for it. I usually make 2-10 changes before printing. My monitor is nearly the same size as the print.

With Win 7, I could assign the Spectarview profile and the wallpaper matched my print in all but brightness. Now the saturation is off as well.

I can of course view it in the photo viewer or even Photoshop, but that is not the same.

Oct 05, 2015 at 09:13 PM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Win 10 and background color space

Not seeing the same problem you are for some reason with win 10. My background image is color corrected with the profile I am using. Did you set Win 10 to use the created profile? It sounds like the programs are using the profile but windows is not. Check your color settings under the control panel in win 10.

Oct 11, 2015 at 12:22 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Win 10 and background color space

Charlie K. wrote:
Not seeing the same problem you are for some reason with win 10. My background image is color corrected with the profile I am using. Did you set Win 10 to use the created profile? It sounds like the programs are using the profile but windows is not. Check your color settings under the control panel in win 10.

Just saw this, did not get a reply notice. First helpful reply. I have been into the control panel but have not been able to find teh right way to set it.

I start by clicking the display and get display settings>advanced display settings>display adaptor properties>color management.

This shows the correct Spectarview ICC profile.

Any other place I need to work?

You are correct, the profile is applied everywhere except the wallpaper or whatever that is called. It is even good in photo viewer which is where I select the wallpaper.

I used to save my screensavers/wallpaper with the Spectarview profile, now I get better results with sRGB, but it is still way over saturated.

Oct 15, 2015 at 12:59 PM
Charlie K.
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Win 10 and background color space

It almost sounds like you are double profiling in win 10 ( not sure how ). You are looking in the correct place for the profile usage, but something sounds off. My wallpaper/background matches my prints and my Photoshop/Lightroom display. I am using Coloreyes display to profile my monitor with a DTP94. It might be a question for the spectraview team and the way their profile loads. The profile from Coloreyes loads when I start Windows ( i get a confirmation window ). I would have to guess that for some reason the Spectraview profile is not loading for some reason in the bootup section of Windows. Have you taken a glance at any posts in the Spectraview forum? If you have and have not seen anyone else with the same issue maybe you could do a manual load of the profile in Win 10 and see if the screen color changes. I can visibly see this on the background when Windows loads the profile. I have the same over saturated background until the profile loads and then things are good.

I know this is not a definitive answer, but maybe it can point you in the right direction.

Oct 15, 2015 at 05:43 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Win 10 and background color space

Thanks, the profile is working everywhere but the desktop and yes, I can see spectraview doing its thing during boot, but it is toward the tail end of the boot.

Spectraview automatically updates the profile and when I go to the color management window it is already there, but I have manually set the profile here with no change.

Good idea on the Spectarview forum, I will give that a try.

Oct 15, 2015 at 06:33 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Win 10 and background color space

So, just convert the file for your "wallpaper" to your monitor profile and be done with it. It will then be in the correct color space for the non color managed "desktop" as it were. Better yet, don't bother with silly wallpaper photos for your computer. Use a middle gray that will look right no matter what profile you're using.

Oct 15, 2015 at 11:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Win 10 and background color space

Peter Figen wrote:
So, just convert the file for your "wallpaper" to your monitor profile and be done with it. It will then be in the correct color space for the non color managed "desktop" as it were. Better yet, don't bother with silly wallpaper photos for your computer. Use a middle gray that will look right no matter what profile you're using.

Tried convert to monitor profile, in fact it is how I did it in Win 7, but if I check properties, it no longer sees a profile (Win 7 did) unless it is sRGB, It will not even recognize aRGB.

I like to put my next print up as wallpaper and view it for a few days before printing. Gives me a chance to see stuff I want to change.

Anyway, I contacted NEC support and have a ticket, already have my first response which asked for more details..

Oct 16, 2015 at 08:56 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Win 10 and background color space

After many replies helping me set my system and in the end, the system was already correct, we determined via this link that the Windows 10 background is not color managed.

By the way, many images look ok, it is images with lots of red/orange/yellows that don't display correctly.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/windows-10-desktop-background-not-using-color/2199b4ff-41b9-4670-9ca2-b96abdec4233?auth=1

Oct 16, 2015 at 03:54 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Win 10 and background color space

Don't you just love having a colour managed operating system ?!
In this regard OSX is much better. I just can't see why MS hasn't fixed it even after so many years.

There may be another issue too, which is either real or else just reflects my own misunderstandings.... The spectraview monitor does its colour management internally and its "Windows" colour profile is essentially a dummy one designed to prevent the graphics card doing what the monitor already does - apply colour corrections. Therefore it may be that using no colour profile can still look good with the spectraview monitor but not with a standard monitor, or vice versa. I could well be wrong but I can't see how spectraview monitors and standard monitors with exactly the same profile in Windows can give the same output if both Windows and the spectraview monitor are applying colour management for the output.

- Alan

Oct 17, 2015 at 06:13 AM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Win 10 and background color space

Ben - Is there a difference between generating v2 and v4 profiles? Maybe this is one area where v4's don't play well.

Aug 06, 2017 at 09:06 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Win 10 and background color space

hackmeifucan wrote:

With Rainmeter app and customize your own cool desktop
https://i2.wp.com/techiespad.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Hero.jpg

Found this list of latest themes: [url]https://techiespad.com/rainmeter-skins/[/url]

Reported as SPAM.

Aug 06, 2017 at 10:15 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Win 10 and background color space

Peter Figen wrote:
So, just convert the file for your "wallpaper" to your monitor profile and be done with it.

This is exactly what i do with Win 7 to solve the same problem.

Aug 07, 2017 at 04:02 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Win 10 and background color space

The solution I have been using since shortly after this old post was started is to save wallpaper images with no color management.

Aug 07, 2017 at 01:23 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Win 10 and background color space

Not sure how that's a solution. The OS has to assume something about the source profile of the file. Since I don't use that OS and have never really dealt into it, I don't know what Microsoft is thinking regarding that. If they're just throwing raw RGB to the screen for that function, then you need to be in Monitor RGB. You might try the same file with and without an embedded profile to see if that makes a difference.

I guess the bigger question is why you want to have some large colorful image as your "desktop" that will have an adverse effect on your color perception while looking at other images. Maybe it's not a big deal if you use the application frame, which is pretty standard in Windows, but that's the very first thing I turn off when installing Ps. I try to keep as much of the non image part of the screen as neutral gray as possible.

Aug 07, 2017 at 02:40 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Win 10 and background color space

Peter Figen wrote:
Not sure how that's a solution. The OS has to assume something about the source profile of the file. Since I don't use that OS and have never really dealt into it, I don't know what Microsoft is thinking regarding that. If they're just throwing raw RGB to the screen for that function, then you need to be in Monitor RGB. You might try the same file with and without an embedded profile to see if that makes a difference.

I guess the bigger question is why you want to have some large colorful image as your "desktop" that
...Show more

My desktop picture is a photoshop gradient going from black to 50% neutral grey carefully calibrated. Helps a lot with colour perception (for me) because I have an accurate starting point

Aug 07, 2017 at 02:57 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Win 10 and background color space

Another advantage of a neutral desktop, no matter what the OS, is that it will immediately tell you if something is majorly wrong with your monitor - like when my Eizo freaked out and went green. And if you opt for a single solid tone, that can tell you quickly if there are any uniformity issues with your screen.

Aug 07, 2017 at 03:07 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Win 10 and background color space

Peter Figen wrote:
I guess the bigger question is why you want to have some large colorful image as your "desktop" that will have an adverse effect on your color perception while looking at other images.

Probably because we aren't all professional photographers, and we use our computers for things other than photography and like them to provide a relaxing and "nice" working environment. A background picture helps with this rather more than a calibrated grey scale target. Some people even have more than one user of the family PC, and have to get a greyscale target past the wife and kids....

I understand your point about biasing colour perception, though as i usually run LR, C1 etc fullscreen, i'm not really sure how a greyscale background picture would help me much.

Aug 07, 2017 at 04:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.