New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · Zeiss Jena 50/2.8 Filter Size

Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss Jena 50/2.8 Filter Size

A few of the forums I read have an undying "quick questions quick answers" thread so the forum isn't cluttered with new threads for little questions like this one. I'm thinking it might be a good idea here on the alt forum.

Anyway, I recently picked up a CZJ 50/2.8 T (this version). The filter threads looked like 52mm but they are not. Anyone know?

Oct 02, 2015 at 10:42 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss Jena 50/2.8 Filter Size

Hi Lee -- Could it be one of the older series, such as Series 7 (VII), prevalent on older European Leica, etc.? Glass (sometimes rimmed, but no threads) is held in place with a retaining adapter ring that screws in over the inserted filter.

Series VII:
Filter (insert) diameter -- 50.8 mm
Adapter Ring -- 54.346 mm, 36 tpi thread pitch

The "Series" are obsolete and no longer made, except the large Series IX (9), which are an accepted standard for cinematography. I have a collection of 9's with holders and standard step-up rings. I have a Canon FD 85-300/4.5 SSC that comes threaded for Series 9.

If you can't find the older Series filters, you can find an step-up adapters to 55mm or 58mm for example. That way you can screw in common filters. Check eBay for the Chinese offerings -- quite cheap and lots of options.

This source says the filter mount is M49 x 0.75 (if this is the correct lens)
http://vintage-camera-lenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-tessar-50mm-2-8/

Oct 03, 2015 at 12:41 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss Jena 50/2.8 Filter Size

Thanks! I'd read that very article but I overlooked where the thread size was listed

Oct 03, 2015 at 08:50 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.