New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2015 · LR CC Quicker Without GPU

ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · LR CC Quicker Without GPU

Each of my wedding galleries in LR has 1500+ D810 photos. So big stuff you know? I've been telling people that my Mac has NO problem processing these enormous images and everything is super fast. Then yesterday I happened to open preferences and noticed my GPU performance was disabled. HMMM. So I turned it on. Boom, just like that LR turned into a huge suckfest. Moving from one image to the next required a lengthy re-draw. So I disabled the GPU in LR and boom, everything is brilliant and fast again. Anyone else still having this experience? I thought the recent update fixed this problem, but it turns out nothing is fixed, my GPU was off - that's the fix haha!

Late 2012 iMac
3.4gh i7
32gb DDR3
NVIDIA GTX 680MX 2GB
1TB Fusion Drive

Oct 02, 2015 at 05:58 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · LR CC Quicker Without GPU

I have exactly the same iMac only with the stock 8gig of ram (never felt the need to upgrade) . and mine is noticeably faster in LR with the GPU than without . I don't have a D810 as I shoot Canon . my cam is now a 5D3 .

Oct 02, 2015 at 06:39 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · LR CC Quicker Without GPU

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I have exactly the same iMac only with the stock 8gig of ram (never felt the need to upgrade) . and mine is noticeably faster in LR with the GPU than without . I don't have a D810 as I shoot Canon . my cam is now a 5D3 .

I would guess that either my GPU is messed up, or LR processes your CR2 files better than NEF files via the GPU.

At the end of the day, it's incredibly fast with the GPU off, so I'm not going to dwell on this issue.

I am curious to know whether it's worth it to get the biggest GPU possible when purchasing future macs. Maybe with Metal in El Capitan it will be worth it.

Oct 03, 2015 at 01:00 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · LR CC Quicker Without GPU

now hers's the slightly strange thing . I just upgraded to El Cap and hadn't done any work in LR since i di the upgrade . (in fact its been a couple of weeks since I did much in LR) .
anyway after your post I thought I would go back in and see if GPU on or off really was noticeably faster or if my memory had been playing tricks .
well with GPU its still as fast as i remember but now without GPU seems to be as quick or at least bloody close . I would have no issues either way .

what I will say is that with a Fusion drive in the mix it could be a bit harder to quantify speeds . I have my images on a single USB3 external MyBook Studio which is pretty good speed wise but obviously my preview files are on the internal fusion drive . as I use LR a lot I would expect fusion to hold those preview files in SSD but I would have no idea if its going to hold the entire preview file in there or if it splits it up , so I could be working a file preview thats in SSD when previously I could have been working a less used file that had been 'filed away' on disk .

Also another question . what is you RAW Cache set to ?. mine is 10gb which I don't think is default (certainly wasn't in previous versions) but I don't remember setting it at 10gig when I installed CC . maybe it took that setting from my LR5 install or maybe I did set it to that and just don't remember doing it . anyway maybe that has an effect on your GPU redraw times ?

Oct 03, 2015 at 01:41 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.